Topic: finger picking

Can anyone give me some advice, I am learning to finger pick but my nails are not very strong, I have tried those metal things you put on the ends of your fingers but they don't seem to work to well for me - I am thinking about some false nails!! what do you folk think of that idea?

Re: finger picking

False nails work for one local professional around here. I saw him break one on his index finger. He pulled this kit out of his guitar case, glued another one on, trimmed it to shape and was playing the rest of his gig within five minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi9baSw4dPk

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Having the same problem as you, i asked a couple of friends for some advice a while ago and they told me to use clear matt nail hardener (hard as nails by Sally Hansen is good) but make sure its matt unless you like shiny nails, also drinking milk helps to harden nails too, it worked for me.

Just a thought for you.  Try to learn using a thumbpick, it takes patience but well worth it.
You don't need long or hard nails.  Use fingertips, they will toughen up and give a great sound.
All the best.

Harry are you learning on an acoustic or electric? it its acoustic you really dont need picks or hard nails the tips of your fingers will harden but if your playing flemenco or some classical style then longer fingernails are usual but even playing an electric picks are optional smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I have the same problem.  I asked a similar question not long ago and got some interesting and valuable suggestions regarding picks and nail hardening.  Try doing a search for the subject of finger picks.  You can search by going to the dark blue banner at the top and clicking on the word "search" there.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You dont need to use your nails cut em as you would your fretting hand nails and your finger tips will toughen up..Mark Knopfler plays this way and e aint bad !

If its too loud yer too old.

I have been practicing fingerpicking for awhile now and have found that my fingers did toughen up after time, like everyone says.  It works.  Your playing will become louder or stronger without the nails.  When I grow my nails I end up injuring myself alot.  Go figure.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I believe i said that already

colinTommo wrote:

You dont need to use your nails cut em as you would your fretting hand nails and your finger tips will toughen up..Mark Knopfler plays this way and e aint bad !

Russell_Harding wrote:

colinTommo wrote:

My apologies.... I never meant to cause offence...it wont happen again..please forgive me...I will endeavour not to transgress in this was ever again.

colin lets not overdue this lol

colinTommo wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

colinTommo wrote:

My apologies.... I never meant to cause offence...it wont happen again..please forgive me...I will endeavour not to transgress in this was ever again.

Sorry mate I was bein sarcastic...this time I mean it.. forgive me !

Its Tommo by the way

ok tommo its cool and we both like Mark knopfler,ive been a Dire Straits fan for quite a while smile

just as a matter of interest I have now tried false nails, they worked a bit but caused me unbelievable problems at work ( I am a school teacher) I have now removed them and will wait for my finger tips to get hard!!

harryscoffield wrote:

just as a matter of interest I have now tried false nails, they worked a bit but caused me unbelievable problems at work ( I am a school teacher) I have now removed them and will wait for my finger tips to get hard!!

oh goodness...!   I can't help giggling at that.... I've got teenagers at highschool, and also remembering my own school days, & can quite imagine the rumours after seeing a male teacher wearing false nails..!  Poor you.. x

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100