Topic: It was 40 years ago today

The legendary rooftop concert, the last public performance of the fab four was played 40 years ago today. Man, I'm getting old.

From wiki:

The rooftop performance
Former Apple Building, 3 Savile Row, 2007

The original concept for the film project called for the documentary to end with a live show, the first live public performance by the band since the end of their last tour, on August 29, 1966, at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. However, agreeing on a format for the live show proved problematic. Paul McCartney suggested playing a small club, like the Beatles had in the early days. John Lennon suggested an overseas location such as Africa (although he also expressed a sarcastic desire to perform the show in an asylum). Ringo Starr held out for staying home in England. George Harrison showed little enthusiasm for any live performance at all.

After failing to agree on any other venue, the band settled for an unannounced concert atop their own building, Apple's headquarters in Savile Row near Piccadilly Circus. The Beatles, accompanied by Preston, performed on January 30, 1969 — intercut in the film with interviews of some rather surprised Londoners near the Apple headquarters as the music blasts out from the roof. The performance and the film close with the police arriving and shutting the concert down. The rooftop concert has been a popular bootleg ever since, and was to be the final public performance by the Beatles.

The Beatles played five songs during the rooftop performance: "Get Back" (three times), "Don't Let Me Down" (twice), "I've Got a Feeling" (twice), "One After 909", and "Dig a Pony". (The Beatles also played a brief version of the British national anthem, "God Save the Queen" and a brief rehearsal of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" while second engineer Alan Parsons was changing tapes. Those performances were omitted from the film.) [4]

After the final song, McCartney says, "Thanks, Mo!" acknowledging the enthusiastic applause and cheering from Maureen Starkey. Then Lennon closes with his well-known remark, "I'd like to say 'thank you' on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition!"[4] This exchange was spliced on to the end of the Let It Be album.

They were stopped after some bankers complained to the police - stupid bankers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea6ZcfJspcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xINfAYiW … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd8JYA4M … re=related

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: It was 40 years ago today

No way that was 40 years ago!!!! That would make me old....son of a b$%$.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thanks for the reality check Topdown lol Wow...I mean Wow. 40 years still feels like yesterday.
I was 14 and remember the stir this caused with the bankers.They obviously didn't learn anything. lol

Thanks for this smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Kap, don't feel so old, you're just a spring chicken. I was 15 when this went down. Oh how I loved the Beatles.

Later, Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

YES 40 years ago, I am getting an old fa**, °1955, can you believe it, and still NO BIG HIT!! Let's correct this, a song on the internet.
I still don't know HOW TO PUT A SONG ON THE WEB, what gear do you need? A cable ending in a green and pink jack to plug in your PC, where you plug your headphones in?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Doc, I have put video's on the web this week, but I am not the right guy to tell you how. It took me all day to do the first one.
I am sure Russ would be glad to help you if he sees your post.

Later, Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Thanks for making me feel young, I was only 9 when this happened. Love the videos.

Badeye.. cool

one caper after another

Hey Wlbaye, I was 21 when this went down - can you imagine how the cop felt when he was told to go and stop the BEATLES from performing their very LAST public performance. As for the bankers - if they had rather listened to the music the worlds' finances might be in better shape to-day lol - just a thought. Aren't memories wonderful.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.