Topic: Guitar Hero Hero !!!!!!!

I bought the guitar hero game 14 months ago and it was the coolest thing in the world. Ever since I can remember that I started to love music, I can remember doing the air guitar, but now I had a guitar in my hand and actually strumming and pressing fake frets/chords whatever you wanna call those colored buttons. I played for a month straight then I said screw this I wanna do it for real, on a real guitar. So that weekend I bought the paper and there was a sale at best buy, $80 bucks for a maestro acoustic by Gibson. It came with a CD and a booklet. I started practicing that day, actually trying to tune it, finally learning notes then a song sorta!! I also recieved as a gift an ibanez Gio electric guitar. I haven't touched the guitar hero game in 13 months. I played the game a month then tried the real thing and the toy guitar controller is covered in dust and cobwebs and I don't clean it cuz it looks funny to me. I wonder if any new members were inspired by this game! I just gotta say I don't play the game  anymore, but thanx to it I picked up a real guitar and I've never been happier than when I'm learning or playing a tune!!!!!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Re: Guitar Hero Hero !!!!!!!

A lot of artists hate the idea while many support the game as it opens people up to music and makes them want to learn how to play ... I'm all for it ... I bought it for my step-son and he loves it and is learning how to play guitar on his Ibanez I bought him ...

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I think the first time I saw it in a store it made me ill and still dose

"Growing old is not for sissies"

well its nice to know it had a positive effect on somebody out there...

All You Need is Love smile

My daughter has this game, and although I don't play it {I prefer to play the real thing} I do enjoy watching her play it. Ironically I bought a three quarter size acoustic for her when she was younger cause she wanted to learn. But she just could not get through the learning process, which I can understand cause I had a hard time myself getting through that phase.
But I persevered and I'm glad I did! I put my guitar down for five years after she was born cause raising my daughter was priority one. When I picked it back up, thats when I really started to learn and understand certain things 'bout music that I didn't understand before. Still learning and I believe that it's a continuing process that never ends and thats what I think is the greatest thing 'bout guitar, no matter how much you think you know you really never know it all.

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Hey Getfiddle.  Now that you've picked your guitar back up, how do you like accompanying yourself on lullabies for your daughter?  I get a real kick out of doing that.  One night my daughter came back downstairs while I was playing.  She was having trouble getting to sleep and so we sang a few songs.  I made sure they were age appropriate, of course.  John McCutcheon's Featherbed, The Rainbow Connection, that sort of thing.  It made us both feel good, and she had no trouble getting to sleep the second time. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I actually had a friend asked if I wanted to come over and play his new guitar hero.  I told him I was a guitar hero's hero and if I didn't keep practicing, I wouldn't be able to save the day.

Karaoke anyone? WHAT;HUH.

lol

Picking away at life, one tune at a time.

I love that game.  It's as much fun as I've ever had with a video game (Gears of War excepted).  We'll play Rock Band after rehearsal sometimes, just for kicks.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I've played almost all of them and yes they are fun. They can be a release for the struggling begginer to hear something good after not hearing what you would like from practice. That being said believe me  you can't perfect your own sound if you are trying to reproduce someone elses from a prerecorded game. It does make you want to learn different styles though.

jerome.oneil wrote:

I love that game.  It's as much fun as I've ever had with a video game (Gears of War excepted).  We'll play Rock Band after rehearsal sometimes, just for kicks.

Hey Jerome ... do you have GOW II or just the first one?

Line6 SpiderIII 75

Boy , I'm going with Russell and Last Reb on this one ... I think the game ( if you need to call it that ) , had been out for about a year and a half before I even knew what it was ... I remember my little bro. talking about how he heard a bunch of electritions on his job site talking about how they had finally mastered some riff and he thought , wow , other guitar players ... Then he realized what they were talking about and just walked away shaking his head . That's how I feel about it too .. If you wanna play guitar then pay your dues and play guitar ... If you wanna play a video game then just play pong , L O L ....
   I'm sure I'll catch it for stating my opinion , but that's OK because we can all agree to disagree sometimes ...
                    Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Like Guitar Hero or hate it, I believe it has to have a positive impact in enticing youngsters to picking up a real guitar. Sheer numbers speak for themselves. Here's a quote from Sammy Ash (COO of Sam Ash music stores)

“My own personal theory is very simple, we’re reaching close to 20 million Guitar Hero purchases,† Ash said. “If one percent, and that’s it, it’s just one percent of the people who own Guitar Hero decide that, ‘you know what? Let me go out and buy a guitar.’ That’s 200,000 guitars coming into a market that didn’t exist before. It’s one of the very first times a crossover is going on.â€

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

Like Guitar Hero or hate it, I believe it has to have a positive impact in enticing youngsters to picking up a real guitar. Sheer numbers speak for themselves. Here's a quote from Sammy Ash (COO of Sam Ash music stores)

“My own personal theory is very simple, we’re reaching close to 20 million Guitar Hero purchases,��  Ash said. “If one percent, and that’s it, it’s just one percent of the people who own Guitar Hero decide that, ‘you know what? Let me go out and buy a guitar.’ That’s 200,000 guitars coming into a market that didn’t exist before. It’s one of the very first times a crossover is going on.��

I agree completely with that comment

Line6 SpiderIII 75

14 (edited by washed by Him! 2009-02-10 20:24:08)

guys you are right, (no offense) but i think it interferes with your actual guitar playin'.(my opinion)

i do agree that it does make more peoplewant to play.

i have notin against the game, it is fun but i like to play my own gitar better.

The world is only going to get worse!

Jeff,
My comments aren't directed at you specifically. They're directed at society as a whole and what the music industry has devolved to.

This(sam Ashs' comments) is the sad truth of the youth of today and how influencial video games have become. Plopping down in front of a television with game boy/attari/ player stations, whatever they call the brain mushing devices these days, has taken the place of kids actually getting together with other kids and having a good rough game of backyard tackle football followed by breakin' out the new Van Halen( insert any band here) album and continuing the tomfoolery. Anyone remember when musicians and music, not video games, inspired others to want to learn how to play????.....Hey to each their own, but no child of mine under my roof will ever waste their learning potential on a fake instrument.

I ain't afraid to say it, Guitar poser Hero stinks!!!!!!

Peace and Real Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

16 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-02-11 00:03:58)

I haven't tried the actual Guitar Hero game but I do have Rock Band for my PS3... Love it! Me and the friends usually jam here about twice a week and we always end the night with a few hours of the game! I have 2 guitars ,so bass can be played as well, the drums and the mic so we get the whole thing going! It's a blast especially after few cold ones smile But then again, I've always been a really big gamer wink I Currently have 5 gaming systems hooked up in the house...Wow never really counted like that yikes I won't even get started on the number of games... let's just say between me and my 3 sons we have a cabinet set aside for game disks... I just beat Resident Evil 4 last night for the 5th or 6th time. Gotta love killing swarms of zombies with an infinite amoed RPG lol

Congrats on taking up the guitar!-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

LesPaulGuy wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Just the 1st one.      When I was playing it, I had to literally put the controller down and walk away from the game forever.  It's complete crack.  I don't even have a TV any more, but Sweet Irish Thing is making me get one, so I'm setting up for GOWII.   I figure once an addict, always an addict!  big_smile

I love the "Rendevouz With Death" trailer for it.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Jeff,
My comments aren't directed at you specifically. They're directed at society as a whole and what the music industry has devolved to.

I ain't afraid to say it, Guitar poser Hero stinks!!!!!!

Peace and Real Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

No offense taken Toney, and as the father of a 17 yo "vidiot" (my loving nickname for him) I largely agree with your sentiments. That said, Guitar Hero is a game that actually breaks some kids out of this mold and truly help them appreciate music. A ton of classic rock bands have seen their music sales soar after they were released on video games. My kid now listens to Led Zep, Aerosmith, Van Halen, etc - believe me a welcome reprieve from today's "popular" rap crap. He also dabbles with playing the guitar. From an old USA today article:

Even though previous Guitar Hero games relied almost exclusively on cover versions of most songs, original artists still saw increased song sales from inclusion in Guitar Hero II, released in October 2006 for the Sony PlayStation 2 and in April 2007 for the Microsoft Xbox 360.

A look at Nielsen SoundScan data for a dozen Guitar Hero II songs found that 11 out of 12 had increased sales in 2007, including:

• Cheap Trick's Surrender nearly tripled from 58,000 digital sales in 2006 to 161,000 in 2007.

• Kiss' Strutter went from 11,000 to 63,000 sold.

• The Pretenders' Tattooed Love Boys rose from 5,000 to 16,000.

I'm not sayin' all video games and their impact on our youth are good (wasting time shooting zombies is not my idea fun), but these music games in particular are doing far more good for the music industry than bad.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well , that was'nt near as bad as I thought it would be .. Thought that I'd have my ____ kicked all over this forum for dissagreeing with popular opinion .. Just goes to show what a great group of people we have here ... Nice to see that a couple folks agreed with me though , including our resident one man band ...
Thanks Southpaw ....

Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

jerome.oneil wrote:
LesPaulGuy wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Just the 1st one.      When I was playing it, I had to literally put the controller down and walk away from the game forever.  It's complete crack.  I don't even have a TV any more, but Sweet Irish Thing is making me get one, so I'm setting up for GOWII.   I figure once an addict, always an addict!  big_smile

I loved the first one as well ... like you said, I couldn't put it down either ... I haven't gotten GOWII yet though ... it's strictly a Play Station game right?  I can't remember ... but now I've become addicted to Fallout 3 and can't put it down either!

Line6 SpiderIII 75

LesPaulGuy wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
LesPaulGuy wrote:

I loved the first one as well ... like you said, I couldn't put it down either ... I haven't gotten GOWII yet though ... it's strictly a Play Station game right?  I can't remember ... but now I've become addicted to Fallout 3 and can't put it down either!

GoW is purely an X-Box thing.  I think.

New Line has the movie rights, too, so that will be fantastic.  Just in time for GoW III.  Woo!

Played Rock Band the other day.  Still an absolute hoot.  smile

I just had a look at the top 100 searched tabs on a site i use, and nearly ALL of them can be found on Guitar Hero or Rock Band. Is that a bad thing that these games inspire people to play the music for real...?!!!

I love both RB & GH !!! big_smile

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100