Topic: An informative speech on electric guitars

I'm currently in a college prep public address class at school, and our next speech is an informative speech with visual aids.  Since I have a guitar at home, I figured that a speech on the history of electric guitars would be pretty cool.  Can anyone recommend some good online sources to get some information? I'd use Wikipedia but I can't use that as a source...thanks!

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: An informative speech on electric guitars

Try this for starters
http://www.squidoo.com/electricguitarsblog

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

google up Les paul and Leo Fender there was a hawaiian steel back in the 30ths that was electric and durring the big band era of the late thirty's and early fourties there was a modified hollow body with an amp but it was never mass produced Les Paul is credited with the first production model and Leo Fender and his broadcaster were close behind smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

ya beat me to it by a hair lol

bensonp wrote:

Try this for starters
http://www.squidoo.com/electricguitarsblog

I just checked out the squido blog. I have always thought the Fender Broadcaster had to be renamed because it infringed on a Gretsh drum set with a similar name and became the Telecaster. The Strat came along a few years later.

Go to www.gibson.com for a history of the Gibson and Epiphone brands. Also it's just a real cool site

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Thanks everyone I'll check these out...I didn't want to waste time on the slow school computers trying to find some good sources.

Switchfoot

If'n you are gonna do a informational speech on the electric guitar from the very beginning up until modern times then you must start with the acoustic guitar and it's transition into what was to become the electric guitar. While Les Paul and Leo Fender are excellant choice' for some information I would start with Christian Fredrick Martin and his developement of the acoustic guitar in the early 1800's. Orville Gibson came into the picture in the mid 1800's. You will probally want to check out Lloyd Loar who was an engineer for Gibson and began working with magnetic pick-ups in the 1920's. Also check out Rickenbacker who produced the 1st production electric guitar in 1932, the "Electro Spanish". Before that Rickenbacker worked on a instrument called the "Frying Pan" which was not really a guitar but had 6 strings and a magnetic pick-up. And before you get to Les Paul you just gotta go into what the early jazz and blues musicans did for the electric guitar. Anyway, some of this might help.

Nela

9 (edited by 06sc500 2009-02-13 22:42:12)

NELA wrote:

If'n you are gonna do a informational speech on the electric guitar from the very beginning up until modern times then you must start with the acoustic guitar and it's transition into what was to become the electric guitar. While Les Paul and Leo Fender are excellant choice' for some information I would start with Christian Fredrick Martin and his developement of the acoustic guitar in the early 1800's. Orville Gibson came into the picture in the mid 1800's. You will probally want to check out Lloyd Loar who was an engineer for Gibson and began working with magnetic pick-ups in the 1920's. Also check out Rickenbacker who produced the 1st production electric guitar in 1932, the "Electro Spanish". Before that Rickenbacker worked on a instrument called the "Frying Pan" which was not really a guitar but had 6 strings and a magnetic pick-up. And before you get to Les Paul you just gotta go into what the early jazz and blues musicans did for the electric guitar. Anyway, some of this might help.

Nela

I would, but unfortunately I only have 5-8 minutes....so I think I have to boil it down to either electric guitar or acoustic...electric seems like it would be easier to find good information on as far as history goes.

Switchfoot

What came first, the chicken or the egg? You would not have electric guitars if it wasn't for the improvements made to acoustic' with the addition of magnetic pick-ups. Since you have only 5 to 8 minutes to highlight the electric guitar it might be worth taking a crash course in speed talking.

Anyway, check out Lloyd Loar as a starting point. From the little bit I read he lead the way in the developement of the electric guitar.

nela

here is a photo of Lloyd Loars guitar smile
http://www.usd.edu/smm/ElectricInstruments/LoarInstruments/10811/10811ViviToneguitarfrontLG.jpg