Topic: Easy Starting tracks????

Hi been playing for about a year but it's very slow progress. I have played songs like Blanket on the ground,Travelling light and Save the last dance. But always seem to miss play or or miss a chord.

Any suggestions on any slower songs that could get me used to changing chords. Sick of playing Blues Man

And any tips on how to bar???

Cheers Stu,30, Scotland

Re: Easy Starting tracks????

Hello Bighenbroon and welcome to Chorie ... In regards to slower songs, I've always been partial to country songs (if you like that genre) ... especially George Strait songs ... a lot of them are slow strumming chords ... "Stars on the Water" and "Adalida" come to mind ... as far as barre chording, it takes A LOT of practice ... I couldn't learn on an acoustic since it sounded terrible but I practiced on my electric and I was able to get the form down somewhat and after a while, it made it easier on the acoustic (although it still doesn't sound great on acoustic yet)

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

A good one to pratice is "Hey gyp" by Eric Burdon and the Animals. Its not exactly slow but you could easily slow down the tempo. The reason I say that song is because its two chords. So it could be good to pratice just switching back and forth between the two instead of having to think about which chord is next and what its shaped like.

Well you could try The Proclaimers' song.... I'm gonna be (500 miles).  It really is a simple few chords but very catchy.  Oddly enough I heard it in a bar in Bahrain and it stuck in me head.

Hello Everyone. I am Really new to learning guitar. im trying to learn as fast as possible. i happen to like coountry music and right now im trying to learn (my first song) "The Walk" from Sawyer Brown. I know it says its a hard song to learn but i feel i can do it. i would like to know some songs that are easy to pick up. any info would be great, by the way im still in the finger hurting stage....

A lot of the old country songs like Ring of Fire and Folsom Prison are the easier songs to learn.  Try some of them.  Amanda is another good easy song.  Good luck.  The fingers will toughen up shortly.  Keep at it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

George Strait is for you then ... "Adilada" and "Stars on the Water" are extremely easy ... Brooks and Dunn "Neon Moon" is easy as well The Bellamy Brothers "Let Your Love Flow"

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Cool, Thank yo ufor the info.

I would say pick a song or songs that you really know well.  I'm an absolute beginner and I've already made the mistake picking easy songs I like rather than easy songs I know really well.  I reckon it'll save weeks of hardship when you already know the song intimately.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Bighenbroon wrote:

Hi been playing for about a year but it's very slow progress. I have played songs like Blanket on the ground,Travelling light and Save the last dance. But always seem to miss play or or miss a chord.

Any suggestions on any slower songs that could get me used to changing chords. Sick of playing Blues Man

And any tips on how to bar???

Cheers Stu,30, Scotland

Yes get your self a cheap metronome, 20 bucks or so and go right here on chordie .com and look up the words and chords to the song you want. Just don't get hung up on one too long just keep moving to another and keep going back because every time you go back and try  you will see your progress. and go on Utube and copy and paste this link the whole thing. 
         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCdWz3ZP … xt_from=PL

Hi Stu, ( my first post ) If you want to learn any song, you have to practice, practice, practice, until you are absolutely sure you have it right, until you are fed up with it and don`t want to play it anymore, and will strangle anyone by the throat if they ask you to play it, then, you can move on to learn the next song.  Phew!!
As far as bar chords go, they need to be learned, try barring at the 5th fret, and only when that sounds ok ( as above ) try moving down to the 4th fret, eventually F at the 1st fret.
Hope this helps
Good Luck