1 (edited by NELA 2009-03-13 12:34:02)

Topic: Lets talk about hand problems

About 5 years ago I had to have surgery on my left hand (chord hand) due to a problem called "trigger finger". This problem is caused by the tendons in your hand being damaged and developing a bulge. When this bulge passes through a knuckle while closing your hand it will "lock" the finger(s) in place and not allow them to open easily. There can be quite a bit of pain associated with this, as well. After the surgery my hand got back to normal and I had no problems.

Last year I had to have surgery on my right hand due to the same issue. A week after the surgury, I had to have a 2nd operation due to a staf infection. Since then my hand has always felt like it was swelled and I could not make a tight fist.     

Back to the left hand. For the past couple of months I have been having a lotta pain when closing my left hand (middle finger). My finger(s) do not lock up but hurts like hell. When I first pick up my guitar I cannot make a open D chord due to the pain in my middle finger. After a few minutes it will loosen up and I'll be ok. If I play for extended periods of time I really pay for it the next day. I have been putting off going to a doctor, thinking this will soon go away. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Has anyone else had these problems? If so, how did you get passed it? I DON'T want to have another surgery on my hand but if things don't get better real quick I'm headed back to the doctor.

Nela

Re: Lets talk about hand problems

Hi Nela,
I think you're familiar with my situation regarding my hand injuries. I had the great fortune of working with some fabulous occupaional therapists for a short while after my boating accident and subseqeuntial surgeries. They gave me stretching exercises to do that consist of interlocking the fingers on each hand and slowly twist and expand outward to get some blood flow to the achy areas. I stretch my hands almost every morning and pre-gig. It's painful as hail but feels much better when the session is over.

Another nice little trick consists of hot wax wraps. It pretty basic, all you need is a croc pot, cubed melting wax, and mineral oil. Here's how I do it;
-Heat the wax and oil to no more than 120-130 degrees F,
add a few ounces of the mineral oil.
-Slowly dip your hand into the wax, remove, allow excess wax to drip off, cover with surran(plastic) wrap,
then wrap with a dry towel. Leave it on for 30 minutes per hand.
-Remove the wax and place it back in the croc pot, yes you can recycle the wax.
     I wouldn't recommend doing this too often( maybe 2-3 times weekly) because it seriously softens the skin and callous tissue on the fingertips. Good luck with your hand issues and most importantly pain is a warning sign from your body to your mind. If the pain continues or worsens do not delay in seeing a doctor.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Re: Lets talk about hand problems

Sounds much worse than anything I have had, guess the Doctor's the best bet.

I had problems with my right index finger ( second joint from the palm end) when I was practicing my picking ( like a nut, I wanted everything faster and faster !). It would "stick" and heat up, with a red mark across the skin of the joint.

I eased off on the practice and took glucosamine ( it's a herbal thing that you can get in most supermarkets ). It righted itself. Whether it was the rest or the glucosamine, I don't know.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello