Topic: Your most covered artist??

So we've talked about our favorite bands and songs, but how about your favorite artist to cover?

Mine would have to be Jack Johnson. There's only 5 or 6 of his songs that I don't cover......yet wink

Who do you play the most of?

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Your most covered artist??

Pix, I believe we had an identical topic in the past.
BUT TRY TO FIND IT BACK, so I believe it is a good one.
- favorite artist to cover
- favorite song to cover
Last but not least = the SAMPLES
TRIBUTE BANDS: I FOUND A REAL GREAT BAND NAMED BEATALLICA, performing Beatles songs in METALLICA style, such as "Hey Dude" see youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz1PtyYC … re=related
I'll try to look and bringing you the answers right here.
1) I believe that "the classic masters" mile Vivaldi, with his "4 seasons" is covered by thousand orchestra's.
2) Bach, Beethoven........

About "covers" there is a second very important phenomenon, tribute songs.
One of the saddest cases is the song "without you." Who remembers the phenomenal cover version by Harry Nilsson, and Mariah Carey. Even now at least 75% believe this song was written by Nilsson. KNOW YOUR MUSIC HISTORY and you will find that this song is written by BADFINGER. Badfinger's recording of the song, which is more brusque than its successors' versions, languished as an obscure album track, I believe it was the last track. Until noticed by Harry Nilsson who was a close friend of John Lennon, and with Badfinger on the same label: APPLE. You want a list? Here is a real good list.
1. Yesterday, the Beatles. It has been covered more than 3,000 times
2. Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles: a surprising choice, I think, but it’s been covered 131 times
3. Cry Me a River, Julie London. BEST COVER = JOE COCKER.
4. And I Love Her, the Beatles.
5. (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, The Rolling Stones.
6. Imagine, John Lennon.
7. Summertime, Abbie Mitchell.
8. Black Birdd by The Beatles
9. Over the Rainbow, Judy Garland. Rgis song seems to be one of the most used songs in AMERICAN IDOL.
10. The Look of Love, Dusty Springfield. Written by Burt Bacharach
This is a very good thread and we can argue a lot about the accuracy. It seems obvious that the most covered artist are the Beatles. But WHO'S NEXT? Summertime by GEORGE GERSHWIN, and LOUIE, LOUIE.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Artist I most cover would be either

pink floyd

John prine

or maybe
The corries

Hard to tell, I do quite a lot from them all.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

More Johnny Cash than anything, because they're easy, recognizable, and have good lyrics. 

However, I *like* playing Jimmy Buffett songs best.  Thus far, I've only got three that I cover, but will work on more.  Of course, I don't play anything like a cover - meaning to reproduce exactly.  I do whatever I do in my own style (meaning, I'm not good enough to play it like the pros).  Changes in Lattitudes, Changes in Attitudes; Distantly In Love (actually a Steve Goodman song, but Jimmy made it famous); A Pirate Looks at 40.  All of these are works in progress. Not ready even for campfire strumming yet, though Distantly in Love is getting close.  I suppose I'll have to learn Margaritaville eventually, though that is far from my favorite Buffett tune.  And people will get ticked when I do it fingerpick bluegrass style or whatever I do to it, so I'll actually have to learn that one as a cover to avoid stoning (which is very different from getting stoned). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Eagles and Dylan... covered by many.

I like to play the Doobie Brothers songs there kind of upbeat and John Prine is another favorite but Jimmy Buffet is also along with Gordon Lightfoot and I love Bonnie Raaits vocals and guitar work, theres so many artists I enjoy listening to its hard to list them all smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Dylan is my definitly favorite.

Musician/Pianist

Visit my blog for piano tips!
[url=http://hubpages.com/hub/Piano-tips]Piano tips[/url]

Gordon Lightfoot, Don Williams, Bob Dylan, CCR are some of my favorites to play

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

what does "cover" mean??

Ben smile cool

The world is only going to get worse!

Gordon Lightfoot, Phil Ochs, Beatles, are the ones I have the most tunes in my File folder.  But, I have a host of others and a Jimmy Buffet songbook.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

washed by Him! wrote:

what does "cover" mean??

Ben smile cool

To "cover " an artist, pretty much just means to perform their music...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Toss up between John Prine and Dwight Youkum.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Beatles, The Band , Paul Simon, lots of stuff from 60's and 70's.

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

WWWWeeeelllllllllllll, i do not perform(yet) but i play a lot of Reliant K, Starfield, Third Day,  and as much upbeat Christian, Contemporary as i can......:lol:

Ben smile

The world is only going to get worse!

I probably cover more Neil Young than anything,followed by Eagles,Lynyrd Skynyrd and CCR.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Neil Young

Clapton is the most predominant artist in my song book, but I wouldn't say that I "cover" any of them. I can play a few chords on a few easy chord versions. I like to attempt covers of Clapton's JJ Cale covers. smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

18 (edited by jaminfesteddonkey 2009-03-15 22:15:35)

Eric Clapton!!!!
and
Jimi Hendrix!!!!

Both have some pretty chalenging stuff! smile
And I'm a blues fanatic

Tom Petty takes the lead in my songbook.  smile  Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Heart, lots of classic rock.

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Johhny Cash and Justin Townes Earle.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Probably Simon and Garfunkle , The Statlers , CCR , Bobby Bare , Rick Nelson , America ...............
   Sorry , it's no good , this list would be a mile long , L O L .........
                   Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Third Day and Merle Hagard

dfoskey wrote:

Now there's a combination!  Reminds me of a bluegrass concert.  There's always a few songs about the merits of home-made whiskey, and there's always a few songs about the Lord.  And you just KNOW that the fellows singing mean every single word of both kind of songs. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

24 (edited by RavenLady 2009-03-18 05:45:35)

Zurf wrote:
dfoskey wrote:

Now there's a combination!  Reminds me of a bluegrass concert.  There's always a few songs about the merits of home-made whiskey, and there's always a few songs about the Lord.  And you just KNOW that the fellows singing mean every single word of both kind of songs. 

- Zurf

Zurf! I was thinking the same thing.  You just spit it out before I could.  Hilarious!  It got me to thinking though......how many different genres of music do we all enjoy?  For me, a ton!  I answered classic rock on this topic but to be honest I grew up with jazz (father a trumpet player from England and recording artist) then classical (anyone remember being introduced to classical via Peter and the Wolf?) then rock 'n roll, AM Radio 70's soft rock.  Who can forget the vocal harmonies of Three Dog Night or the Aussie favorite Little River Band.  Classic rock from the 60's & 70's as I mentioned, Beatles, Led Zepplin, Tom Petty, Eagles, Pink Floyd, too many to list.  Late 70's when the "new" country was coming online like Alabama and Bluegrass genius Ricky Skaggs.  Then 80's techno rock, Howard Jones and Depeche Mode and glam/hair rock, Bon Jovi or Whitesnake anyone?  And inbetween it all friends and fellow musicians who have influenced me.  Then as I got older (gulp) my interests turned to more World Music styles and Blues.  I'm grateful for it all and can't wait to experience what's next.  When I put my iPod on shuffle now, it's a weird oddity of music styles but great nonetheless.  I wish that everyone has an open mind and listens to as many different styles of music as they can! 

Cheers
Heather

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Zurf wrote:
dfoskey wrote:

- Zurf

Hey Zurf the funny thing is I try to play each of their songs with a Bluegrass style. Some of it works out pretty good. smile