Topic: Dropping the pick - AAARRGGHH! Help is here!

Everything is progressing nicely, I'm learning new chords and my songs are getting better/faster!  However I seem to hold the pick too lightly and I'm always dropping the thing, usually in my guitar!!  If I grip it tighter I get vibration from the strings, plus I'd rather the sound when it's played lightly.

The answer:  I'm a competitive cyclist and use skateboard decking to cut and stick to my carbon fibre handlebars to help my hands grip with hardly any weight increase, it's basically very durable sandpaper with a strong adhesive on the reverse. 

I simply cut 2 tiny slivers about 2mm by 15mm and stuck them to the pick. 

No kidding, it's transformed my playing, seriously!

I picked up a skateboard size piece off ebay for a few quid.

If your having the same problem, try it.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: Dropping the pick - AAARRGGHH! Help is here!

Picks come in all shapes, sizes and thickness'. Experiment until you find something that you like. Your "self-stick" sandpaper sounds like a good idea. You can also apply tape, punch holes in the picks, rough up the surface or for the really brave - superglue the pick to your fingers. (not a real good option). Remember a thinner, flexible pick is easier to hold than a heavy thick still pick. Use a thinner pick for rythem guitar strumming for a sweet soft sound - a heavier pick for your driving lead guitar picking.

nela

Also the more pick area there is for your thumb and finger to hold on to - the more the pick will stay in place, so you can also try a slightly bigger pick.

It's all up to personal preference, I don't like thin picks and I don't like the idea of the sandpaper ( or whatever ). You can play lightly with any pick, it just comes with practice. I like to be able to vary the 'weight" of my sound throughout a song, so a heavier pick works for me.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

I have to agree with Alan with practice holding on to a pick is easier and another important thing is you can control the dynamics better(volume) this comes with practice and even experienced guitar players drop picks,doctoring up a pick may solve an immediate problem but it is not the long term solution smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

5 (edited by KajiMa 2009-03-26 14:55:59)

If you lose your pick in the guitar, jiggle guitar until pick can be seen through soundhole, put fingers past strings until pick is pressed onto inside back then while keeping pick secured in place, invert guitar, remove fingers et voila, pick falls out through soundhole!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

There are pick holders that attach to your mike stand (boom) that can hold six or more picks. So handy to grab one there when your pick goes flying.
I have seen glue-on pick holders that attach to the guitar body that will let you strip one off quickly.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I'm a beginer and I have also struggled with holding the pick. I am heavy handed at times, and just put it down to that as struggled to hold the pick loose without dropping it. I started using a small piece of bluetac to stick the pick to my guitar when i wasn't playing as i kept losing them. I now use my pick with the small piece of bluetac and find that this helps me, and i no longer drop the pick while at the same time i can hold it loose and my strumming hand is more relaxed.

Every days a Wednesday. UTO, FTB

I'd recommend going the local drug/hardware/grocery store, buy some two-sided tape and stick your spare picks on the tape. As tubatooter suggested, stick said tape on your mic stand( if you sing, if not stick the tape on the side of your amp, or body of your guitar{eeekkk!!!!}, and keep some wax paper to cover the tape when your gig/playin' session is over) This'll cost  you 3 or 4 dollars. The same product at the local music store , with fancy packaging, with run you 12-15 buck-a-roonies...

Give everything but up.