Topic: not getting anywhere????

have been playing for over a year now and my strumming makes my playing sound like a boxing match any tips? cant seem to get a rythm going and my up strumms sound really bad.

Re: not getting anywhere????

Using a pick or without a pick?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I used  to have this problem too. Just PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
And you'll get a good rthym going.

Singing helps.  Are you a decent singer.  As stated above, good strumming comes with a lot of practice for some of us.  Singing with it usually helps, but that too, takes practice.  Stick with it.  You'll notice yourself getting better.  I promise.  It has a lot to do with, not only playing and singing the song, but feeling the song as you do it. Another thing I do is put the pick down and finger pick a random pattern, thumb for top three strings and a finger for the bottom three strings.  Patterns are good, but random works.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

5 (edited by dfoskey 2009-04-08 14:59:23)

You want to be sure your posture is good so you contact on all of the strings for each chord. Sometimes putting a little bounce in your fretting hand  while strumming adds a little spunk in the rythym also. Practice as others has mentioned will pay off sooner than you think.

Paulbrady, as others have said - practice, practice, practice. Sometimes it's best to take a short break, clear your head, relax and then attack your problems. One thing that helped me was to just put the guitar down, put the song you are wanting to learn in your player, take your pick in hand and practice the strum across your chest while listening. If you need to look at the sheet music while doing this, then do so. As you strum, count in your head to the beat of the song. Listen for the bass or drums to get this tempo. Don't worry about the guitar - just practice the strum until you believe you have it right - then pick up your guitar and, again, strum as your music plays. This helped me.

Nela

I'll bet you ARE getting somewhere.  You've probably forgotten where you came from.  Keep practicing, and you can't help but get better and more smooth.  If you are having trouble with distinguishing what is practicing the guitar and what is practicing a song, I recommend going to www.justinguitar.com and checking out his practice suggestions. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

With your name, you can't fail to be a good guitarist

See http://www.paulbrady.com/video/default.asp

Up strokes can be a pain at the start. Check how your pick is hitting the strings - what angle and how tight you hold it can make a difference. Change the angle and the hold until you get a sound that you like, Then you need to practice how to hit the strings that way every single time.

It's a good idea to think about all the separate actions that your hands make when you play guitar - each one makes a difference.

You could also try playing along to a metronome

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

paul,i hear what others say,practise,BUT ,stick to one song,refer to WLBAYEs,lesson STRUMMING ON THE STICKY,"FOR WHAT ITS WORTH". DDUUDU is the strum.I bought my guitar 2 yrs ago nearly,along with a multitude of learn guitar in a "day" books joke.what did i learn .NOWT!!! apart from the basic chords,so i put the damn thing away last december and gave up!!!!!!then in feb this year i logged on to chordie and noticed a post by wlbaye on strumming,i got the beast out and for 1 week only i practised that tune he posted on utube.and it Worked!!!!! ican now strum it,not as good but it sounds great.Paul please believe me i was so peed off,but it worked and now i am working on 4 more songs and they are coming together .If you live in the uk pm me i can give you more advise bud

rallyman

hey dude, you gotta practice man...and don't be concern of technicalities and all...just be a musician. learnt it the hard way.

I forgot to mention, perhaps a metronome will help.  When I am learning a difficult passage, I generally bring out my metronome and do it very, very slowly.  It's important to use a metronome when learning something slowly because it's so easy to lose track of the beat when the tempo is slow.  Anyway, get a strum pattern you want to learn - any pattern it doesn't matter - and do it to a metronome very, very slowly.  Do it about 100 times.  Then the next night the same thing.  And soon you'll find that you can increase the speed and flawlessly play that pattern at nearly any tempo.  Then learn another pattern the same way.  By the time you've learned four or five patterns, you'll probably be able to start learning them at a faster tempo than the first ones.

Something I've noticed for myself, perhaps it doesn't relate to others but it does for me, is that CONCENTRATION is the hardest thing to achieve when practicing.  My mind wanders all over the place.  To learn something new, like a strumming pattern or a chord transition, it takes a lot of concentration.  Using a metronome also helps me to focus my concentration.  Something to think about anyway. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

I'll bet you ARE getting somewhere.  You've probably forgotten where you came from.  Keep practicing, and you can't help but get better and more smooth.  If you are having trouble with distinguishing what is practicing the guitar and what is practicing a song, I recommend going to www.justinguitar.com and checking out his practice suggestions. 

- Zurf

Agreed Zurf ... I learned my strumming patterns from Justin

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

You might be holding the pick wrong or too stiff a pick.  Try a red brain pick (it has a cat tongue texture).  Their color coded for thickness.  Then hold it kind of like a quarter.  The pick should glide across the strings and not get hung up.  If you adjust your pick angles and make a few adjustments like that you may find things loosen up.  Good to remember how spastic it was just a short time ago.  It just keeps getting better.
Good luck.