Topic: My Fingers are not doing what I want them to!

Hi
been playing a few months and have signed up for some 1-2-1 lessons.

My biggest issue is moving to the C and D chords smoothly enough.  I know, practice, practice, practice!  and it is getting better.  My finger issue is that I cannot train my fingers to hit the strings for a chord at the same time.  Chords like Em Am, A, no problem, but the C and D I still place fingers one at a time.

Will my brain work this out evenutually and is it really just practice or are there some techniques I can use?

Thanks for any advice. 

BTW, this has to be one of the most firendliest and helpful forums I've come across.  I haven't read a single post where one member is having a poke at another :-)

2 (edited by KajiMa 2009-04-09 17:44:34)

Re: My Fingers are not doing what I want them to!

Hey DevilCat,

Yes it is practise and getting used to doing it by repetition, but here's a cheat for you:

When you do a C chord I'm assuming you use 3rd finger 5th string 3rd fret, 2nd finger 4th string 2nd fret and 1st finger 2nd string 1st fret. What you do is concentrate on getting your 3rd finger to the 2nd string 3rd fret and allow your 1st and 2nd fingers to "find their own way" it will take a few attempts but you should see quicker progress; the ring finger along with the little finger are hard to develop control over, this should get you there quicker. Also working back to the C from D, start with your 3rd finger and let the rest find their own way.

If these two are causing probs, practise changing between them.

Also when finding chords with the fingers, start from the bass strings as these strings are usually played first and you can still be finding the rest of the notes while you start playing the chord.

That last disagrees with the first tip a bit, but the C to D change is one of the exceptions. I was struggling with the second chord in the verse of "Your Song" and kept stumbling on this until I remembered "bass strings first" now my fingers kinda find their own way!

Good luck and get back if you need more help or I've been as clear as mud!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hi DevilCat and welcome to Chordie,

I assume that you are playing D using your index, middle and ring fingers. Some of my students find it easier to use the index finger to barre the first three (G, B and e) strings on the second fret and then use the middle finger to play the second (B) string on the third fret. This way you are only having to postion two fingers.

At then end of the day though it is only through repetition that changes become easy and of course that means practice, practice and then even more practice. What you are doing with practice is training your muscles and tendons in your fingers to automatically lock into a certain configuration to form each chord, there is no easy shortcut to this I'm afraid.

Good luck,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I've been learning for a few months aswell and I'm lucky enough to have pretty good hand/eye coordination.  I had a similar problem but I found I was concentrating too much on getting the fingers planted where they needed to be! 

Now I know the general opinion here is slow down and get the sweet sound before speeding up, but at the time I just had these  urges to play fast, I don't know why but I did, so for a few minutes after each practice session I played fast and I found that my fingers were much quicker and pretty accurate when I wasn't thinking about where they should go!?  Sorry if it doesn't make sense and I expect every teacher here is cursing me!?

I guess in my experience it was a case of me trying too hard rather than relax and just letting it happen, still need to practice, practice, practice tho, just do it more relaxed?

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Yes.  You'll get there. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You'll get there yes ... after a while, your fingers (even without touching the fretboard) will go into the chord position without you even realizing it ... mine do that with powerchords or major Barre Chords

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

as well as everything said.
with more pratice your finger will do what lespaul says, they will automatically go into the shape needed for the chord. It is a subconsious thing.
You will eventually get there without realising it.
One day you will realise what you can do without thinking and think back on how hard it was and think why was it.

Good luck with it and to all that is still learning

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi DevilCat ,
   Welcome to Chordie !!
   This is a funny subject for me because I know two long time players who still use that " one finger at a time " method when going to some chords ... They're fast enough and it works for them ... The only beef I have with it is that if I'm just jamming along , I'll just follow what the other player is doing and when they do it this way sometimes it's hard to see where they're going untill the actually get there and of course they're just getting there in the nick of time themselves , so it's hard to follow along , L O L .... It has worked for them all these years ... Having said that though , there's a lot of good advice here , hope someone has helped ....
                   Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

thanks for all the advice!  Going to keep practising and hopefully, I'll speed it all up and eventually nail it.
Found an interesting tip from the Justin website where you select a chord and just put your fingers on and off as many times in 2 minutes. So trying that as well.

Something that's been useful to me has been 'bouncing' my fingers on the strings.  Get into your chord-form, and release some of your finger pressure, but keep the fingers in contact with the strings.  Bounce them from here to full pressure and back a few times, and gradually get less contact with the strings, until your fingertips are about 1/16 inch (a mm or two) off the strings, but still in the shape.  Move on to another problem chord shape, and do the same.  Spend 5-10 minutes a day doing that, and soon you'll be dive bombing those changes; your fingers will start hitting the shape as you approach the strings, almost like magic.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

DevilCat wrote:

thanks for all the advice!  Going to keep practising and hopefully, I'll speed it all up and eventually nail it.
Found an interesting tip from the Justin website where you select a chord and just put your fingers on and off as many times in 2 minutes. So trying that as well.

I agree with the advice given AND if it's bit encouraging I felt the same way and after time and practice I'm actually doing it!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Hi DevilCat.....keep at it...you will do it eventually! I agree with GSE....I have a couple of friends who play a C chord like that (one finger at a time) and it is very hard to tell what they are doing until the last finger is dropped....haha. Also if you can  make an AM....then going from an AM to a C....you only have to move one finger....likely your ring finger to your A string. No need to move your other two fingers at all....try it smile. Or from C to an AM..... like you said practise...it makes perfect...so they say...lol

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

I know that feeling changing chords  LOL   I  am new  4 months  teaching myself  with youtube help tongue  I am trying to get down now barr chords  and changing from Dm  5th fret to C 8th fret   my two fingers  like  stiffen up  LOL   weird  really..    I only wished  to have started  using my other fingers  instead of my 1st finger doing E C G G7 D  so on lol  good luck  with your     c  to  d

As it seems everyone here has said, yes it will come with practice. Of that there is no doubt so be encouraged by that - we've all been there.
Also, don't convince yourself that your fingers all need to be landing on all the right strings in all the right places at exactly the same time each time you form a new chord! This simply isn't so. Before responding to you here I picked up my guitar and strummed a few chords with changes between them and tried to pay attention to how my fingers form the chords (this of course led me to play "Last Dance with Mary-Jane" as soon as I heard the Am - it just popped into my head, but I digress, lol). But that was an interesting exercise because like most here I chord instinctively now after over 20 years of playing. But I noticed that I have developed my own style whereby I tend to "root" my finger location with one finger and the rest follow immediately. So for instance with a D my 3rd finger hits the 2nd string in the 3rd fret first and the others are almost instantly in place right behind them. Of course this is also a technique you can play with by expanding that laps between the "root" finger landing and the others following - kind of a hammer on type of thing, but for now just relax about it, know that it will come in time and don't stop practicing.

I didn't really start picking up on speed until I started placing my fingers on the bass notes first (proper finger landing). I was placing my index finger (strongest) first, and all my other fingers were struggling to get where they needed to be. I've visited hundreds of sites trying to figure out how to change faster. Out of those hundreds, 1 site talked briefly about what I just mentioned above. I basically re-taught myself in just a couple days, and miraculously started changing many chords with ease. It would be nice if this information was more "covered on the net" for other beginners to have this information at the beginning of their learning curve...ya know?

And...  I also wanted to add a thank you to everyone here. This is an awesome site, full of a bunch of awesome people. Thanks for all the time and info you've given to us newbies.
Maybe one day I'll be able to pass down some skills and info that will change someone's life forever.

Roger Guppy wrote:

I assume that you are playing D using your index, middle and ring fingers. Some of my students find it easier to use the index finger to barre the first three (G, B and e) strings on the second fret and then use the middle finger to play the second (B) string on the third fret. This way you are only having to postion two fingers.

That sounds like its a lot easier. Is this method of hitting a D Chord frowned upon for any reason ? i.e. what are the potential drawbacks. As I'm just learning I don't want to potentially develop any bad habits, but doing a barre on the first 3 strings sounds miles easier than hitting that chord with 3 fingers.

My teacher made me do a bunch of barre chords.  due to some some tunes I lust to learn about, Bm to F#m, and after it was over..................it dawned upon me the shortcuts and whatever.

I have a great teacher......http://www.sethausten.com/

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

ranthalas wrote:
Roger Guppy wrote:

That sounds like its a lot easier. Is this method of hitting a D Chord frowned upon for any reason ? i.e. what are the potential drawbacks. As I'm just learning I don't want to potentially develop any bad habits, but doing a barre on the first 3 strings sounds miles easier than hitting that chord with 3 fingers.

No, not as far as I know. You can later expand it to x54232 and move it up a fret for a 5 string Eb and up another fret for E and so on before making it a full barre chord.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

The bottom line is, that it's all about muscle memory.  As a past teacher of mime, once told me, "Do it a hundred times and you know it, do it a thousand times, and it's YOURS," 

I can now switch from G chord to A, D, Am, E, Em, D7, etc, etc, etc.  Now, I'm working on Bm to F#m, G#m, etc, for muscle memory. 

In other words, practice, practice, practice................makes perfect!

21 (edited by ranthalas 2009-06-12 01:46:50)

any tips for hitting a D7 without making my fingertips rebel against me ? I can't seem to do it without deadening a string or not getting a full tone. As mentioned I still have to have my guitar professionally set up, it has a fairly high action on it right now, not sure if thats contributing. Just seems like I'm having to press fairly hard on the strings to get them to not buzz... Hrm, don't mean to hijack this thread, just seems like a lot of good info here.

smile

Hey ranthalas!

The only things I can think of at the mo' are to make a C chord and hold your first finger in position on the 2nd string while moving your middle and 3rd fingers.

Also practise flip changes from D to D7 and back.

Hopefully someone will be along with some better info, but in the meantime it won't hurt to try these!

cool

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<