Topic: New Elvis Costello Show

Hey All,

Anybody catch the new Elvis Costello show, "Spectacle" yet?  It premiered here last Friday night.  Elton John was his first guest.  It was really great.  Elvis has a great band he and his guests perform with.  Inbetween songs they sit and chat.  Elton talked about musicians who influenced his career and people he performed with as a young artist.  New artist's he's into at the moment, up and comers.  Most of the songs they played were from those people they discussed.  It's on in my neck of the woods tonight and Sting and the Police are the guests tonight.  I think Allison Kraus is a guest next week.  Can't wait.  I've seen it advertised on Bravo on Sunday's too.  And I think it's on Sundance Channel as well.  Just type it into Google to find out.  Or as they say, Check your local listings!  It's a must see. 

Cheers
RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Re: New Elvis Costello Show

Hi RavenLady,

I viewed the episode with Tony Bennett. Elvis' lovely and extremely talented wife, Diana Krall played a few tunes with Tony. Diana is one of finest musicians in the business. I bet their kids are be something special( in the arena of music) when they get a little older. Elvis is a real dude and his knowledge of music is vast. This is a great show, I only wish Elvis would play a little bit more himself. I get what he's doing though, not trying to steal the spotilght from his guests. This, along with Austin City Limits, is one of the best shows on TV( in my insignificant opinion).

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

I love Diana Krall too, SouthPaw41L.  She's from Canada too!  I bet she never dreamed when she was a kid that she'd grow up to not only have such an incredible career but be married to Elvis Costello.  I have a DVD of Austin City Limits.  A Best of.  It's a great show, I agree. 

Cheers
RavenLady

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Have been watching Spectacle for a couple of months now & I agree, it's an excellent show. I'd watch anything with Elvis C in it, though! Only problem is that for some reason it's hidden away late at night & quite easy to miss as a result. An intelligent show about music should be more primetime IMHO.
Have not heard of Austin City Limits at all. Anyone heard of Later with Jools Holland (BBC2)? Usually pretty good, but totally live, so performances do vary a bit! I can also very much recommend Radcliffe & Maconie on BBC Radio 2 - great range of music/very knowledgeable/very funny! Should be available worldwide, thanks to the old interweb. It helps if you get the British sense of humour!
Anyhoo, just love Elvis & his songs - I have a stab at playing  a few of them (Red Shoes, Candy, Alison, God's Comic, Working Week, Everyday I Write The Book).
Love the little guitarist RavenLady, is that you? Used to have friends in Calgary, but seem to have lost touch - would be there like a shot, otherwise!
Cheers again,
Paul.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I like Canadian guitars too!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

normtheguitar wrote:

Have been watching Spectacle for a couple of months now & I agree, it's an excellent show. I'd watch anything with Elvis C in it, though! Only problem is that for some reason it's hidden away late at night & quite easy to miss as a result. An intelligent show about music should be more primetime IMHO.
Have not heard of Austin City Limits at all. Anyone heard of Later with Jools Holland (BBC2)? Usually pretty good, but totally live, so performances do vary a bit! I can also very much recommend Radcliffe & Maconie on BBC Radio 2 - great range of music/very knowledgeable/very funny! Should be available worldwide, thanks to the old interweb. It helps if you get the British sense of humour!
Anyhoo, just love Elvis & his songs - I have a stab at playing  a few of them (Red Shoes, Candy, Alison, God's Comic, Working Week, Everyday I Write The Book).
Love the little guitarist RavenLady, is that you? Used to have friends in Calgary, but seem to have lost touch - would be there like a shot, otherwise!
Cheers again,
Paul.

Hey Paul,  Just found that little animated gif online, google search.  Though it almost looks like a girl, so I picked it. smile 

Yes, Love Elvis Costello's music and his show.  I have a collection of Saturday Night Live DVD's.  Think it's called the first 25 yrs of music.  Great collection to have.  Not only all the best performances but some of the artist's doing skits with the cast.  Anyway, Elvis was one of the first guests.  I actually remember watching the show where he came on and was supposed to do one song, started the first few notes, stopped his band and played something else entirely.  All the while the director going NUTS.  But it's a great performance.  Haven't learnt any of his songs yet.  I must see about remedying that. 

I've seen acts on you tube from Later with Hools Holland.  Looks like a very cool show.  Love British television too.  We're lucky to get Elvis's new show on a HD channel that shows it's schedule earlier than the regular stations.  It's our Friday night show now, for sure.  Just at the right time.  Finished dinner, dishes, a little jam of our own and then we can sit down and enjoy the show.  smile 

Cheers
RavenLady

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez