Topic: POEMS + LYRICS: A STRONG CONNECTION, with each other & MELODIES?

I have to say that there are so many beautiful poems on this thread.
I am often busy to check if "there is an identical" phrase/phrases here.
There are some incredible facts to create a poem, even song writing.
I use it for a few reasons:
- I like it, I love it.
- In fact most of the very great song have great lyrics.
- My mothertongue isn't ENGLISH but DUTCH or FLEMISH in my case.
- I speak fluently 4 languages and some Italian too.

WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT? MELODY? SONG LYRICS? It is quit interesting:
- To start with poetry followed by adding some chords....and then it should be in "songwriting"
- If you are a less gifted "melody writer" but a great poet, it belongs here.
I am truly amazed that so many chordians write brilliant poetry, but unable to link it with chords
I am proud, because it improves my English, every day better, but concerning songs = I have maybe 100 songs, especially melodies, lyrics aren't that good. 
My point of view is that I listen first to the music, and after listening several times I start to listen to the lyrics. On 100 songs maybe 30% have real great lyrics.
- BOB DYLAN + BOB DYLAN
- ELTON JOHN + BERNIE TAUPIN
-  CAROL KING, a brilliant songwriter, a lot of bands should be grateful to Carole, especially in the 60ties. She started to sing too in the middle 70ties.
DO YOU HAVE SOME SURPRISES IN THE POCKET?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: POEMS + LYRICS: A STRONG CONNECTION, with each other & MELODIES?

hi lieven,

as a songwriter, and a poet...[both loosely described by myself, not by others] i find that the two are distinct and separate. if a song comes to me, it comes with words and music, it may not be the same music by the time i record it...but never-the less...and the same if i start to wax lyrical...and out pops a poem, to me the two are from different parts of the brain, so to speak, so i rarely try to put music to a poem.

if you have a tune you'd like to have words to lieven, just let me know, all i need is the recording and what you are thinking of when you play it.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.