Topic: Folks, my wallet is at risk.

As I mentioned here in another post, I decided to go ahead and take some classes.  It's going to be quite good for me in that the teacher is taking an entirely different approach to learning and playing music than I took when teaching myself.  That has nothing to do with this post. 

Well, maybe a little.  While I was in the local music store where I've gotten to know the guys to pick up the books for the class, one of the guys I always say "Howdy" to was eating lunch.  So I decided to diddle around a little until he got a few bites of his sandwich.  While I was diddling around, I came across a Stagg acoustic 12 string.  Only $199.  Not anything special or fancy, but for a $199 guitar it sure sounded nice to me.  This being the kind of music store run by a family and where they care about the instruments they sell, it was all set up and hanging there on the wall in tune and ready for my diddelations.  I played the opening chords of "Peace Train" (without the capo unfortunately) and then the opening strummed chords of "Tin Cup Chalise" and then decided to try and finger pick "Early Morning Rain" - and GEEZ I wanted this guitar.  Now, it has been an expensive couple of months in the Zurf household and I had just bought a new TV for my wife, and so I bypassed the guitar even with the reasonable price. 

Later that day, I told my wife, "I almost walked out of the store with a guitar.  They had a $199 twelve string in there."  My wife said, "Why didn't you?"  Why didn't I?  Why didn't I?  I did not expect "Why didn't you?"  I expected, "Well I'm glad you didn't because things are pretty tight right now and we can use that extra money in much better ways...", and generally expected her to make good sense the way she usually does.  But I did not in a million years expect, "Why didn't you?" 

Next payday, we'll see how the balances are.  There could be some trouble brewing here in a fun way.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Folks, my wallet is at risk.

You've got GAS.  Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

It has no cure.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

That 12 string is a gateway to more expensive instruments

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Since you didn't buy that big old bass guitar, the twelve is in order. I say go for it.

Badeye    cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

Since you didn't buy that big old bass guitar, the twelve is in order. I say go for it.

Badeye    cool

Tempting.  Yeah, glad I passed on that bass.  I really don't have anywhere to store it.  But I do have walls left in my house.  Just a little rearranging of the wall mounts, and I'm in business. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf you only go around once enjoy!!! smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hey Zurf,

I had a similar experience just before christmas. I was in diddlin around at the local store and played a guitar that just jumped out at me.It was a $500 guitar and all my other guitars are many times that,but this one just made me smile.I went home in a daze and babbled to my wife how nice this guitar sounded.She said the three acoustics I have should do the job and I agreed.
   Christmas day come and she handed me a new guitar and a huge hug.It is nice having the support and she is so proud that I am still playing the new guitar everyday.

Later, Wayne P

Man, aren't wives great, sometimes.  That's all it takes is a positive note from her.  It sounds like you better grab it before she changes her mind.  You know they are very capable of doing that.  When I first got married to my second wife, 10 years ago, she came home from shopping one day and asked me to help her unload something from the trunk of the car.  When I opened the trunck, it was a set of Bose speakers.  I had been talikng about them for awhile.  Well that was a surprise of a lifetime.  Maybe we should satrt a thread to honor our spouses.  They do come through when it means a lot.
Get it, Zurf

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hey Zurf - One of the reason's why I hate to go into a music store these days is I know I'm going to want to buy another guitar. There are a few stores down my way as I'm sure you know but I do hate that dance I'll have to have with my wife. She can not understand why I would want another guitar. I really only play one mostly now but I can see getting rid of my old ones that giving me joy in the past. In my mind I think if it sounds great looks great and is going for a great price, how could I not buy it! I hope you end up getting that Stagg 12 string and I hope she is still supportive of the decision.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

10 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-04-21 19:36:44)

Go for it Zurf! Nothing like a good guitar at a deal!

I'm lucky enough to have a supportive wife as well... Though she keeps hogging my 12 string and beer ... lol

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3597/3462902233_7ff042acef_o.jpg

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

Go for it Zurf! Nothing like a good guitar at a deal!

I'm lucky enough to have a supportive wife as well... Though she keeps hogging my 12 string and beer ... lol

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3597/346 … acef_o.jpg

Sweeeeeet ,  lol

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

12 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-04-21 22:53:01)

Well I also had that experience too! I have my acoustic, and teaching myself, my beautiful sweet wife set through my learning"to the point that I have" without complaining once. Sometime back I kinda, sorta, let on that I really wanted an electric guitar, as soon as I mentioned it, she said "go get it, you deserve it" I went that day to the Guitar Center and bought myself an Epiphone. She is the greatest, she's beautiful, very loving, and even sweeter than that, I'm not a man with much money, but at the same time, because of her, I feel like a rich man. So I agree with Bensonp, I'm sure others wives deserve credit!

Cam

PS Zurf, sounds as if you have a great wife to, go get the guitar!

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Zurf, take it from someone who has been married nearly 40 years, when you wife comes across all nice concerning something YOU want to buy for yourself - SOMETHING IS GONNA HAPPEN! You will not know when this will happen but happen it will. It might be tomorrow, next week or 10 years down the road - BUT she WILL get even. When the time is right the subject WILL come up as ;

"Well, you got a new guitar when you didn't need one. I just don't understand why I can't get what I want, sometimes. You're always getting what you want. It's just not fair. If I can't go and get me, insert whatever, then you better plan on spending a lotta time in the kitchen 'cause the only drawers you gonna be getting into will be in the cabinets".

At least that's how my wife does me.

Nela

Go fer it Zurf!!
whats the worse she could do?? cut off yer n*** ? or hit yer wiv a frying pan? the pain will be short lived lol big_smile

Micky cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

15 (edited by micky the mooch 2009-04-22 02:15:03)

NELA i think yer spittin' the dummy lol just think of the pain Zurf could go through ...dont it make yer smile big_smile better him than us, pmsl 

NELA wrote:

"Well, you got a new guitar when you didn't need one. I just don't understand why I can't get what I want, sometimes. You're always getting what you want. It's just not fair. If I can't go and get me, insert whatever, then you better plan on spending a lotta time in the kitchen 'cause the only drawers you gonna be getting into will be in the cabinets".

At least that's how my wife does me.

Nela

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

NELA -

If there's ever anything she wants and doesn't get, I'd like to know what it was so I could go get it for her.  I'm ALWAYS stuck at gift-giving time. 

If things are still looking good at the end of the month, I'm going to go buy it.  April's an expensive month.  Both kids have birthdays. 

- Zurf

I think NELA is right.  They will use it against you when you least expect it.  But that's the breaks, bud.  You still have to go for it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I think NELA is right.  They will use it against you when you least expect it.  But that's the breaks, bud.  You still have to go for it.

And more importantly than that, I'd still have the guitar. 

- Zurf

Zurf, can I trade my wife for yours?  Just kidding

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Tax return arrived yesterday.  Things are looking good.  I'll keep you informed.

- Zurf

21 (edited by gitaardocphil 2009-04-25 08:42:47)

In the 12 acoustic string category I am convinced that the sound difference is a lot less than in an acoustic 6 string guitar.
I have a MARTIN D1-12, wasn't that expensive, but if you have both = a 6 string and an acoustic 12 string, when it is brandnew you play a lot, but on a 100% "play - timeline" you will notice 12 months later that you've played 10%at least in my case. It gives an incredible sound, very loud and the perfect extra guitar. I have an acoustic, but also an electric Burns 2X6. Here a picture
of the MARTIN.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/3472279627_34931cbb6c.jpg?v=0
If you play a lot on a 12 string? Watch your fingertips.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Zurf wrote:

Tax return arrived yesterday.  Things are looking good.  I'll keep you informed.

- Zurf

Thanks for the awful reminder about tax return. I've got till the end of the month to 'get er dun'. If there is any great amount I'm going shopping for a third acoustic.

Now where are my forms?/ 

Badeye    cool

one caper after another

Badeye - I meant the refund check arrived.  SCHWEET!  I was on the way out the door to buy it today when the phone rang and a friend needed help.  My wife went over to help out and I'm here with the kids.  I love my kids, but I don't take them to that music store.  It's crammed full of wonderful gizmos and gadgets, and I can't afford to purchase all the ones my kids would break before I could get the guitar purchased by not keeping their hands to themselves.  Terrible grammar, sorry.  My German upbringing.  I've entirely forgotten the language, but apparantly not the grammar (which does not always work terribly well in English).  Anyway, I'm guessing that I'll buy the guitar soon.   It would be nice to have another guitar so that I can send my primary guitar in to get set up well and not miss it too much.  Of course, there's always the electric...  Or the classical...

- Zurf

selso wrote:

Zurf, can I trade my wife for yours?  Just kidding

How did this turn into wife swapping?

Ahh nice too hear you got a refund, you'll put it to good use I bet. Little here,little there and
all will benefit. Get that guitar.

Badeye   cool   cool

one caper after another