Topic: Geeserhood .....

Wanted to make a comment on this subject , but did'nt want to take up any more space in " Tell us About your Gigs " ....
   I figure you're a geeser if you can remember Friday nights , filling your wheels up with gas ( and oil ) , buying a carton of smokes and a 24 pack of beer , and doing it all for ten bucks , L O L ....
                   Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Re: Geeserhood .....

i'm not actually a londoner [where the term geezer came from] but i do believe it refers quite well with what you've written, so an apt description.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I can remember towing a coaster wagon filled with old newspapers that were bundled up and taking them to the junk man for some money to go to the afternoon movies this was in Milwaukee Wisconsin 1949 my how time flys smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I remember cutting grass and pulling weeds for 75 cents/hour..  Bought my first bicycle with the money I earned.  A stingray

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I probably qualify as I can remember getting a free tiger tail from Shell petrol (I think) to tie around my petrol filler cap. This was the days when all cars had an exposed filler cap and their motto at that time was "Put a tiger in your tank".

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I remember that Roger.  I was a kid of course.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Anyone remember Sinclair gasoline, Grit Newspaper, playing marbles,being able to see the Milky way on a clear night, 3 channels on a television"if you lived in the right place and had a good antenna" records on a 45 speed, dial up phones with the hole for your fingers, and party lines for the phone, ringer type washing machines. no neighbors! when kids said yes Maam and no Maam and Thank You. getting paddled in school, when kids could look up to ball players as role models.. I could keep going but you get the point, I'm old enough to be a geezer.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

45 I remember 78 rpm and BT(before television) listening to the radio going on family picnics and watching the elders play sheepshead for pennies lash laroo,the cisco kid and Pancho, tom mix and the Amos and Andy show on radio and early television my dad was a tail gunner on a beer truck during prohibition lol

Roger Guppy wrote:

I probably qualify as I can remember getting a free tiger tail from Shell petrol (I think) to tie around my petrol filler cap. This was the days when all cars had an exposed filler cap and their motto at that time was "Put a tiger in your tank".

Roger

Roger, I believe it was Esso and Enco that used the ad,being in the oilfield all my life and growing up in an oilfield camp I believe it was,just for the record.I guess that probably makes me a geezer.

Later, Wayne P

I'm lucky to remember yesterday.....

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Yeah, I remember selling the Grit newspaper. The party line ring. A nickel in the jukebox for one song. In the summer on Wed. and Sat. mornings at 4:00 am to 6:00 am picking Gladiolas for the farmer down the road to take to the farm market for 25 cents an hour. He was a good ole boy though, if we finished early and didn't drop any, we still got the 50 cents! Yeah, I'm a GEEZER! And lovin' every minute of it!!

Ron

Russell, I remember 78's as well, guess I just didn't want to, or at least I rember my Dad having a few

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

It looks like there are quite a few "geezers"coming out of the woodwork and if your hair has some gray in it wear it proud its a sign of wisdom and experience but I colored mine today I think the gals prefer youth and stupidity lol

Whoa ,
  I'm gettin scared , because I remember all these things , including selling " Grit " and the teacher either throwing stuff at you or wapping you up side the head with a textbook if you were napping .. Seems like that happened to me quite a lot ...L O L ... Of coarse that was back when being sent to the principal's office did'nt just mean you were going to get a " talking to " ...
   Hey Cam , I'll trade you my steely for that cats eye ,L O L ....
   Does anyone else remember pulling into a gas station and having four guys come running out to practically service your car while THEY put the gas in ??? I was up in north central North Dakota last weekend to play a party and pulled into a little gas station in Devils Lake to fill up , and before I could get out to pump the gas this guy was at my window ... It's the measure of our times that I felt very uncomfortable having someone else pump gas for me and actually weirded me out when he started washing my windows and asked to check under the hood , L O L ....
   If anyone wants a trip down memory lane , listen to an old song by the Statlers called " Do you Remember These " .......
                      Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

I'm worried that I might be on the cusp of geezerhood. Don't really remember playing 78's, but knew people who had them. Also, a lot of the chat to date needs translated to "across-the-pond-ese."

I have a strong memory of GRIT, however  - not because I ever saw it, but from reading comic books. I used to get "Thor" and "Superman" comics. They had adverts in the back - all in dollars. One of them demanded you "Sell GRIT."

There was another ad that seemed to be trying to sell a miniature submarine. Little wonder that we thought kids in the States lived in a different world.

The last time I had a full service tank of petrol was in a tiny rural gas station somewhere around Collingwood on Georgian Bay in Ontario. I spent a very pleasant half an hour chatting about not very much, and there were no other customers the whole of that time.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

I was born in the TV era and was a big baseball fan, Mickey Mantle was my hero also Roger Maris and we looked forward to the Saturday game of the week with commentator Dizzy Dean.Sunday Night we always wound down and watched Bonanza before bedtime
    My dad played guitar and harmonica and listened to 45's to get his chord progressions and lyrics "this was way before Chordie"
of course.
    My dad had 45's and 78's  but I started my collection with 8 tracks  and LP's  tried cassettes for awhile but mostly a collection of about 1000 LP"s that I still have,for a security blanket I guess.

Later, Wayne P

I don't remember any of these things.  There is no gray in what's left of my hair or in my beard.  The sky is bright green.  I drive a pickup truck. 

One of these statements is true. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf What kind of pickup do you drive? lol

Remember when one could get into a movie theatre with the coupon on the top of  the Red Rose Tea box and just 15 cents, with a quarter allowance,[25 cents] that left 10 cents for a Double Cola and a bag chock full of candy on the walk home. Those days were great.

Getting an orange in your Xmas sock. Oranges were rare in Cape Breton. what a treat.

Black Cat Bubble Gum.

i could be a geezer...   Badeye   Too   cool

one caper after another

we used to make our own presents and my mom was great at designing Christmas cards,we would make pop corn and string it for the tree I remember having some thread caught in my throat one Christmas,where I lived we had chestnut trees on both sides of the street and we would roast them and sometimes make necklaces and wrist bands with them I think we had the only flat roof house in the neighborhood and the rag man used to collect junk in a horse drawn cart I can still remember the chant he used to call "aaaaaraagggs got da raaaagggs"we came from a poor part of town but all the neighbors were very friendly,its all gone now it was torn down for a housing development that is condemned now they should have left it alone it would most likely still be there smile

Remember Standard Shift Three Speed cars and half ton trucks with the gear shift on the steering coulum, we called them Three on the Tree.

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Badeye, I had a car with 3 on the tree and a fifth under the seat.
Those were the days!

Later, Wayne P

My first car was a Hillman Minx with a four speed gearbox the gear change was mounted on the steering column with a bench seat and no seatbeats..
I thought the clutch had gone with juddering starts before I realised I was trying to pull away in 3rd gear for months... I was learning in a Ford Anglia with four on the floor. I was a complete novice...  lol
ark

arkady wrote:

My first car was a Hillman Minx with a four speed gearbox the gear change was mounted on the steering column with a bench seat and no seatbeats..
I thought the clutch had gone with juddering starts before I realised I was trying to pull away in 3rd gear for months... I was learning in a Ford Anglia with four on the floor. I was a complete novice...  lol
ark

Funny stuff, we called that clutch thing 'kangaroo gas" when the car would jump,jump,jump.

badeye   cool

one caper after another

wlbaye wrote:

Badeye, I had a car with 3 on the tree and a fifth under the seat.
Those were the days!

yeap, those were the days, it's heavily frowned upon here these days,which is a good thing.

badeye .

one caper after another