Re: Geeserhood .....

I remember my Dad had an old 47 studebaker, it looked like a torpedo coming down the road, then, after that he had a push button automatic Plymouth 53 model I think it was.\

GSE...There is still a gas station in the town nearest me that still pumps your gas, he's an elderly gentleman, wears a sharp uniform with a bow tie, really nice guy!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

While I haven't yet reached the level of geezerhood achieved by many here, I do find myself approaching that esteemed status rapidly (although I'm sure my kids would appoint me a geezer already). Most recently I have developed a geezer habit that, I assume, is a prerequisite for entry into the club. When I get home from work, nearly the first thing I do is shed my office clothes and change into a pair of old shorts and a T Shirt. Until this year, I always changed out of my dress socks into a pair of athletic socks - Now I'm thinking.... that's an entirerly unnecessary step and only creates another pair of dirty socks. So I am now sitting here in an old pair of cut-off's,  my feet adorned in sneakers over my black mid-calf socks.

I am just getting used to this classic geezer fashion statement and since I am all alone in my cabin, there is no one to show off this stylish look to. I'm not sure that I have the intestinal fortitude to actually don this style in public and if I did, I'm sure my wife would kill me.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hey  GSE  We still have a full service station here in Lake City Mi.  But only from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, then it's self serve.

StranSongs wrote:

There was another ad that seemed to be trying to sell a miniature submarine. Little wonder that we thought kids in the States lived in a different world.

I had one of those subs, it cost two cereal box tops and 25 cents.  You put about 1 teaspoon of baking soda in the bottom set it in the water. Sinks to the bottom and then the baking soda would make a bubble, sub goes to the surface where the air bubble escapes, sub sinks.. LOL...it would surface five or six times....

Hey   Russel   talk about coming from the poor side of town-- our running water came from a 2 inch pipe next to the sink, that ran down thru the counter-top and straight down about 3o feet . The faster you pumped the handle the sooner ya filled the sink  lol

does any one remember heating there water with a gizmo that had a coil on one end in the water and plugged the other end in the wall?  You just had to remember to unplug before removing the coil from the water YEEEOOWWW.

Mom always says I'm a hillbilly. And today one of the guys at work asked me if I wanted an opposum sp. .. I said --What for? He says-- to EAT!!  I said-- Jerry.. just because I eat  turtles and frogs don't mean I'll eat a opposum .   Anyone have a good recipe? lol

Ron

I can remember at school during science class the teacher took a board about 1 inch thick and the size of a text book and drove two nails into it and bent the tips in toward each other and placed a hot dog in between he then hooked up a electric chord striped both ends and attached them to the opposite posts and plugged it in the wall!! that wiener cooked in less then 10 seconds but it was a controlled demonstration and I would not recommend it without proper safety equipment smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell -

My college room mate cooked hotdogs like that, except he used forks instead of nails. 

aabb -

There are no GOOD recipes for 'possum.  They're edible and will keep you from dying of starvation, but there's no way to make them good.  Worst hillbilly recipe I've ever heard of is squirrel brain gravy.  No thank you.  A couple fellows I know love the stuff.  I'll pass. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Russell_Harding wrote:

45 I remember 78 rpm and BT(before television) listening to the radio going on family picnics and watching the elders play sheepshead for pennies lash laroo,the cisco kid and Pancho, tom mix and the Amos and Andy show on radio and early television my dad was a tail gunner on a beer truck during prohibition lol

Yep, I remember that as well.  Oy

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I remember minimum wage of $1,45 an hour.  The Catholic mass done in Latin, Gas for 25 cents.
PF Flyer sneakers with the "wedge" that could make you run faster.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I had a 6 Million Dollar Man action figure with the bionic circuitry in the arm and leg. And it had the hole in the back of the head to look through and get the magnified view.

Also, I was a proud owner of a "Stretch Armstrong" action figure as well. This guy was cool and filled with a space age jelly substance that would return to it's previous form after being stretched to 10x its previous shape.

I wish I still had these bad boys.

Give everything but up.

on the subject of the old 78's, my mother [my father didn't like music, or maybe music didn't like my dad?] had a big box full of 78's, so in the 60's when 45's came in, i took them down the field and used them as frizbies, don't they fly good? but they don't land well most broke, songs like 16 tons, davey crocket and rock around the clock etc. i wish i hadn't done that as they're worth a fortune now!

ever the bread head

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

on the subject of the old 78's, my mother [my father didn't like music, or maybe music didn't like my dad?] had a big box full of 78's, so in the 60's when 45's came in, i took them down the field and used them as frizbies, don't they fly good? but they don't land well most broke, songs like 16 tons, davey crocket and rock around the clock etc. i wish i hadn't done that as they're worth a fortune now!

ever the bread head

phill

Yep, they fly really nicely!  <grin>

I gave all my Hockey and Baseball cards to my little bro, He used them for making noise on
his bicycle tire. He would clip em on the forks with a big clothespin and they would hit the spokes and make a noise.  Oh well kept him amused I guess.

badeye  ..

one caper after another

Topdown,  Sorry to have to be the one to break it to you, but I'd said those socks and sneakers qualify you.

Badeye, I remember the ball cards in the bicycle spokes, loved that sound, even though I still have thousands upon thousands of ball cards

Anyone's Mother use to cook with a pressure cooker, looked like something from a science fiction movie. I guess a few people still use those.

What about old cartoons"Top Cat" "Johnny Quest" "Mighty Mouse" or old TV shows like the old "Authur Smith Show" "Lost In Space" "Dialing for Dollars"

Cam

PS, This is a great thread, sure brings back memories

cameronkl7 wrote:

Topdown,  Sorry to have to be the one to break it to you, but I'd said those socks and sneakers qualify you.

Badeye, I remember the ball cards in the bicycle spokes, loved that sound, even though I still have thousands upon thousands of ball cards

Anyone's Mother use to cook with a pressure cooker, looked like something from a science fiction movie. I guess a few people still use those.

What about old cartoons"Top Cat" "Johnny Quest" "Mighty Mouse" or old TV shows like the old "Authur Smith Show" "Lost In Space" "Dialing for Dollars"

Cam

PS, This is a great thread, sure brings back memories

Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, The Herculoids and the 60's cartoon version of the Lone Ranger were my favorites.  Good adventure toon's that make anime look pale and weak.  IMHO 

Mighty Mouse, Deputy Dawg, were all up there too for me!

Our family's first TV arrived on my fifth birthday amid great excitement. It had just one channel - BBC. The earliest programme that I can remember, and a great favourite of mine, was Muffin the Mule, a string puppet. I doubt that it made it across the pond though.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Muffin the mule lol no Roger it never made it but there was one show I remember it was called "queen for a day" talk about sad these women would come on before a live audience and tell there stories of how miserable there lives were and the one with the most pitiful life was made "queen for a day" and given a washing machine or some jewelry and the other non queens went home and lamented because they were not miserable enough that was early TV at its worst smile

Roger Guppy wrote:

Our family's first TV arrived on my fifth birthday amid great excitement. It had just one channel - BBC. The earliest programme that I can remember, and a great favourite of mine, was Muffin the Mule, a string puppet. I doubt that it made it across the pond though.

Roger

"Growing old is not for sissies"

cameronkl7 wrote:

Cam

Thank you Cam. I humbly accept my membership into this heralded club. I am a proud Geezer and only hope that I can uphold the standards of the esteemed members that came before me.

42 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-04-29 00:55:43)

Topdown,

I just read your acceptance speech into the club to my wife, she got a good laugh out of it, your a good sport for an old geezer, thanks for the laugh.

Cam

Ps...We sure would like to see a picture of the black socks, sneakers, and shorts.

I'll do you better than that Cam - Why don't you bring the wife up to Lewisville some weekend and I'll model this fashion for ya'll personally. Of course, that would give us the opportunity to get some porch pickin' and beer drinkin' in too!

Jeff

Topdown,

That sounds great my wife and I would love to do that, it's about time we met anyway, thanks a lot!

Cam

Zurf

Squirrel brain gravy??  WOW!

My kid bro an I had a bunch of pigeons. This crow kept going in there an messing with their eggs so we managed to close the door on him when he was in there. We went in and caught the bugger. Then we clipped it's wings. The next few days we get bologna and anything else we thought it might like. We'd do a wolf whistle and feed it anything it would eat. By the end of the week we'd step outside , wolf whistle, and this crow would come hoppin over to eat. So feeling sorry that he couldn't fly we went in the pigeon coupe and got some wing feathers off the floor. Now this crows wing tips looked like 3 straws on each end. We stuck those pigeon feathers in those straw ends and a little tape. He was off flying in no time ..:lol:.. This was before duct tape, so we used scotch tape but he could only go for about 3 or 4 minutes and a feather would either turn or just fall out. He'd come crashing to the ground. We'd re-tape and off he'd go. In about 2 weeks his feathers grew back and every morn he'd attack wanting more free food when we came out the door. During the day if he wasn't around.. just wolf whistle... he'd land on your arm like he was a hawk. He was COOOL. He stuck around for about three years.  Oh I almost forgot. One time dad was under the old chrysler fixing the exhaust and the crow was picking at his shoe laces. Dad moved wrong and broke the crows leg. We took a Mcdonalds straw and used it for a splinter. That crow was a glutten for punishment.  I'd like to live those days again!!  NO WORRIES!

Ron

Cool crow story.

The first time I was trying to learn guitar, I was in college.  My parents had moved to Michigan from Pennsylvania, and I attended college in Virginia.  So, when I went "home", I knew no one.  That worked out well for trying to learn chords.  So I had my girlfriends old guitar that she never played, and I had a couple of books and I tried to work my way through them.  My parent's home was beautifully situated and my mother had done a terrific job of landscaping the back yard.  There was a big sun room that looked out over the back yard, with a big picture window and sliding glass door.  In the window well hidden behind some shrubs in the landscaping lived a groundhog.  My dad tried traps.  He tried to shoot it (he is certified by the NRA as a sharpshooter).  He tried poison.  He tried filling in it's hole with gravel.  He tried everything he could to get rid of the groundhog.  Nothing worked.  So instead we named it Penny and figured it was a pet.  Now, Penny had a curious habit.  Whenever I'd pull out my guitar, which was often, Penny would get up on the stoop for the sliding glass door and sit.  When I played the chords right, and followed the progressions in the book, Penny would stand up on her back legs and lean on the screen.  When I played a chord "sour" or hit a "sour" note, Penny would cower down into a ball and cover her ears with her paws.  Sometimes she'd run away and wouldn't come back until I got it right.  For inspiration, I've got a picture of her near where I practice.  I'll see if I can scan it and put it up on my picture website.  My first group of jamm buddies called ourselves "Penny's Troubadours."  You have no idea how humbling it is to have a groundhog as a guitar instructor.

I have no idea what this has to do with Geeserhood.  This story ought to be in the "random" thread.  Sorry for the hijack. 

Suffice to say that I'm not in college any more, and haven't been for a long time.  I stopped guitar about the time I graduated and didn't come back for a long time - just about two or three years ago.  I graduated in '87.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That's pretty neat Zurf

My critic for the last forty years is of the 2 legged variety. If I'm playing guitar or singing, she usually doesn't say TOO much. But if I grab the banjo or fiddle, within 30 seconds she's in here. No paws on the ears and no rolling into a ball though.:lol: She does this thing with her eyes and a raised brow.      Then slowly backs out and makes sure the door is closed, ALL the way.

Ron

I have been a geezer long enough to relax with it. I was born in 1941. My King tuba is one year older than I am. It looks really beat up. So do I.
Warning signs of approaching geezerhood are:
1. You and your teeth don't sleep together.
2.You try to straighten out the wrinkles in your socks and discover you're not wearing any.
3. At the breakfast table you hear snap, crackle, pop and you're not eating cereal.
4. Your back goes out but you stay home.
5. It takes two tries to get up from the couch.
6. Your idea of a night out is sitting on the patio.
7. All you want for your birthday is not to be reminded of your age.
8. It takes longer to rest than it did to get tired.
9. Getting lucky means you found your car in the parking lot.
10. It takes twice as long to look half as good.
11. You sink your teeth into a steak and they stay there.
12. You give up all your bad habits and still don't feel good.
13. You confuse having a clear concience with a bad memory.
14. You finally start getting your head together and your body starts falling apart.
15 You wonder how you could be over the hill when you don't even remember being on top of it.

I bet you guys can think of some more.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

You believe in the hereafter...........every time you walk into a room you ask, "What am I here after?"

Hey TubaTooter and Ozymandias,

Those were great, I just about cracked a rib laughing at those, sad thing is, I fit the bill on most of those.

Cam