Topic: Strange things.

Why is there in a lot of buildings, like hotels NO 13th FLOOR? Are the US citizens THAT superstitious?

A REAL STORY:
A European (from Germany), a rich kid was invited with a few friends to jump of a building. It was a bungee jump.
He filmed (with a little camera on his helmet) his own death.
In Europe, a building starts with the GROUND FLOOR while in many buildings in the USA this = 1st floor. They did their homework, and they where going to jump of a 12 store building.
Crowded area, police office 50m from the building, so they went inside and with a kind of laser beam they measured the height. So that poor guy jumped with an elastic chord which was perfect for 12 floors, ground floor = 1st floor resulting in SPLASH. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. This happened a few years ago.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Strange things.

Bungee jumping is not something I understand.  Terrible shame what happened to that kid. 

That aside, Americans are very superstitious.  However, not all are.  I have stayed on the 13th floor of hotels when travelling.  The building I work in is 18 stories high and has a 13th floor.  But for some of the older buildings, they did sometimes abide by that superstition.  Seven is considered lucky, so they should have just had two seventh floors. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Guys ,
   Bungee jumping is something I don't get either , although loving the water as I do , I've always wanted to try bungee water skiing ... I came up with this idea about twelve years ago and have'nt put it into practice yet , might just be the biggest thing since my ski chair incident that almost took my life , L O L ....
   I used to get a big kick out of rappelling from a hovering chopper , especially when it seemed to scare the beejeebees out of the paratroopers that I was drilling with , L O L ..... Oh the good old days ....
                     Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

That sounds like "The Many Faces Of Death".  I saw that years ago.  Is superstition more an american thing?  I never considered that.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

gitaardocphil wrote:

Why is there in a lot of buildings, like hotels NO 13th FLOOR? Are the US citizens THAT superstitious?

There are many many streets in the UK where the houses are numbered - odds one side, evens the other. But on the odd side the numbers go ..... 7, 9, 11, 15, 17. No number 13. Very very common.

I guess home-buyers are more superstitious than you'd think. Us humans are a strange bunch.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I know the condo I lived in in Hawaii was actually on the 13th floor however there was no "13th" floor ... I was on the so called "14th" floor

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75