Topic: HAPPY MAYDAY BANK HOLIDAY!

Hey Chordians.

It's a Bank Holiday in the UK today.

Is it a Bank Holiday in your country? Do you call it something different?

Whatcha doin'?

I've got horses to feed, dog to walk and laundry to do, I'm going to have a go at learning "Heavy Horses" in between and then this evening it's our Folk/Acoustic Jam Sesh at my local - the Queen Vic. Good to see you there if you can make it!

big_smile

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Re: HAPPY MAYDAY BANK HOLIDAY!

Hi - same to you, though not so happy in this house! And it's raining.
Round here the locals do something called Jack-in-the Green (see hastingsjack.co.uk) - something to do with Pagan rites, Morris Dancing & Beer. I was hoping to go & see it today, but my wife is not too well (no, not my cooking), so am at home doing gardening & childcare. Fortunately, my lovely wife made some carrot cake muffins recently & there are still some left, so it's not all bad!
Would love to get down to your local tonight - could do with a night out, but would take me about 4 hours, I think!
Need to go & start on dinner now, though!
Have a good evening.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Hey Normtheguitar.

Hope your wife gets better (and have a carrot cake muffin for me!!!) tongue

http://www.hastingsjack.co.uk/images/jos.jpg

Cool picture, had to put it up.

Did you know that like the Archery Law of 1363, which states that every man in the UK MUST equip himself with bows and arrows and practice which never got recinded, Oliver Cromwell passed a law that made Maypole Dancing illegal and that never got recinded!

Have a good one!

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Typical May bank holiday weather here. Tipping it down all day. As a consequence we have had a relaxing, family day at home. Played some guitar, watched some TV, messed about on internet, played some guitar. Just about to start on dinner myself.

Best wishes to you all, and your loved ones.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hey alvee33.

Can't make up it's mind whether to rain or not here; bit of both and neither of either.

Munching homemade chicken egg fried rice while writing this (sorry about the grease stains!) before hitting the shower to get ready for tonight. The only thing on my schedule I didn't get done was to have a go at that Jethro Tull song. Oh well, doubt it would have been ready for tonight and I'll get plenty of playing in once there anyway.

Hope you all have (have had) a good one!

It's an interesting holiday this one. I know there are lots of pagan traditions that go with it. All very interesting in a Morris Dancing kinda way. This side of the Rio Tweed it is traditionally a Trade Union holiday. Again, all very interesting, with lots of Trade Union events organised.

Too bad it's hissing down!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hi Kajima,

Believe it or not it's bank holiday in Wales too....[joke]

Today I had to go see my granddaughter on her 2nd birthday, she lives about 10 miles away, a lot closer now [she used to live in Australia..long story].

Tonight though, I have to catch up with my recording, my hard drive is nearly full, and I have to put vocals on about 3 songs, down load a couple and delete one or two, then I can get on with some new stuff!

Glad to hear I'm not the only Jethro Tull fan, Heavy Horses being one of my favourites, it "moves the land under me"

Happy Bank holiday

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

what are we missing. No holiday here in Canada.

Badeye  not cool

one caper after another

Here in the U.S., we just called it "Friday".  No naked Maypole pagan rituals.  No more beer or wine than usual for a Friday.  No bank holiday, national holiday, or any other kind of holiday.  Just Friday.  Most weeks, Friday is enough.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The Bank Holiday tradition over here is nearly always a Monday and it is just that - banks and (most) shops close for the day and the whole country has a one day holiday.

Most of the Bank Holidays it rains.

It's a tradition.

Hey Zurf, where in the UK are these naked Maypole rituals? Is it the pole or the participants that are naked? I think I'm livin' in the wrong area!

Monday night music was great. We had loads of regulars turn up and some newbies. Good Sesh!

Hope wherever you are you had a great time!!! cool

hi kajima

just a polite question;

what language do you use on your quote line please? it looks a little welsh, but the syntax is wrong. kept me up all night...

ps. i think the morris dancers [naked or otherwise] is an english thing, i've never seen it in wales!

may day on the other hand is mainly a european thing, it's only since we joined the eu that we've had the day off. so you candians should join the eu then you could have it off too [presumably with the naked morris dancers?]

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

12 (edited by KajiMa 2009-05-06 10:17:26)

Hey Phill.

Kernoak (also Kernewek and others depending on spelling) technically Cornish. It's the language of the West Country although (it's my belief that) what would have been spoken here over 500 years ago would have been a cross between this and Welsh, or maybe the same as it is but with more of the same words; when reconstructing the languge early in the last century a lot of Welsh words were used to fill gaps.

We share the same counting system - onen, dew, etc and some greetings and phrases are pretty much the same  - dedh da - although spellings may change.

It is also 85% interchangeable with Breton. The Kernewek National Anthem is the same route as the Welsh - "Bro Goth Agan Tasow" (Old Land Of My Fathers) the Breton - "Bro Goth Agan Zhadow."

I'm not fluent, but trying - (some say very trying! tongue)

The name Wales shares an awful lot in common with Cornwall. The Saxon for foreigner was Weldh (pron' "Whelth") which changed into Welsh and Cornwall is the same meaning "The Foreigners form the Kern" (Kern being spit or headland)!

I don't know how indiginous I am to this land (don't have any family to check family tree) but I always call myself British not English!

I won't get boring about the origin of the word Morris - see I am trying big_smile

KajiMa wrote:

Hey Zurf, where in the UK are these naked Maypole rituals?

You'll have to ask a pagan dancer. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Spent most of my Mayday getting over Oiche Bealtaine the night before. A night of singing and playing in Johnny Joe's.

Mayday is partly the remnant of Bealtaine, the ancient celtic festival of spring when the cattle would be let out into the fields again ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bealtaine ).

It is also International Workers' Day, commemorating the killing of strikers in Chicago by the police. The US Gov't changed the name to Loyalty Day, because of the Cold War - maybe it's time for Obama to change it back ?

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Kajima - must admit that I thought you must be a Trekkie & the odd language was Klingon!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Kuhblah! wink

(That's the only Klingon I know)