Topic: New Here and To Guitar TABS I Don't GET IT !!!

Hi All !! Well I wonder if my problem is unique. I can understand the chords just fine and memorize as well and have been playing I guess around a month. But my problem seems to lie in the tablature, I just do not get it !! Is this unique? I know it tells me the breakdown of how to read it but I cannot then look and read it . Is this unique, and it has that it is simple but to me this is the hardest part of teaching yourself guitar. I can strum already fairly decent for beginner play few songs as long are written in chords fairly well for beginner but  to understand tabs I just don't get it . I have read and reread it. And cannot follow a single tablature . Any suggestions greatly appreciated and anyone else have same problem?

Re: New Here and To Guitar TABS I Don't GET IT !!!

I see a section on this already !! ;-) maybe should have read a bit .

Tab basically gives you the finger + fret placement for the chords / notes played. To understand better, start with a simple chord diagram, say open "G" and compare that to the open "G" tab. Do the same for all open chords. You will begin to see the relationship more clearly. Stay with the simple open chords until things become more clear then start looking at barre chords, scales, etc. Hope this helps.

nela

Hi Lisa,
   What may be throwing you, is that TAB indicates what fret to play, and on what string. It does not however indicate what finger you should use. You might want to read up on position playing. Basically a position consists of four frets. For example position 3 would be frets 3,4, 5 and 6. Position 5 would be frets 5, 6, 7 and 8. etc. In the above example of position 3, the index finger would cover all strings on fret 3. The middle finger all strings of fret 4, the ring finger all strings of fret 5, and the little finger all strings of ring 6. Position playing works great on playing lead, but helps also with open chords. Barre chords are obviously a different beast. By the way most progressions are base on position(s). Hope this helps.
   Temple

But, here's the secret about the guitar: It's defiant. It will never let you conquer it. The more that you get involved with it, the more you realize how little you know.
                 Les Paul  March 2007

5 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-05-09 01:15:26)

Nela,

This is something I've been interested in knowing, The "as you say open G tabs as well as all the other open chords, do you mean all the notes that can be played off the open G tabs  as well as the other chords? Or are you just meaning the strings that are played to get the G chord itself, If you mean all the notes off of the open G I'm assuming that you mean more strings than just the strings held to get the open G , is there a chart somewhere that shows all the notes   for the G chord as well as all the other open major chords, and posibbly the minor chords, thanks for any help with this and I hope I'm making sense in what I'm asking, if not let me know and I'll try to explain what I'm asking in a clearer way, thanks again for any help.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thanks to all for the suggestions . I will go over this again . Maybe I need to also spend more time doing the scales in which I did kinda skip that whole section thinking was a little useless     ;-) . But thanks for the suggestions I will try this .