Topic: A Date With Carenza and Heavy Horses.

Carenza's my guitar you understand, this is her
http://workfile.barnesandmullins.co.uk/images/content/64611c44-3101-445e-9196-a22c94cf2171.jpg
and if the idea of a date with her sounds strange then understand that I'm either busy with dogs, horses, campers, bed and breakfasters or I'm performing with Carenza ........................ or I'm busy recovering from the above. Don't think there's anything stranger going on than me playing ma guitar and loving the sound and the interplay (or is that interplay and sound - chicken/egg)
So setting time to practice and/or learn something new has to be something I can find time to fit it in. I did a post last Monday about the bank holiday and said I wanted to have a go at Heavy Horses but the time ran away with me and that night I was performing so it never got done.
Don't get me wrong I pick up Carenza throughout the week, but getting some special time in front of the computer and being able to make noise without disturbing anyone - that's rare.
Yesterday I had horses to feed, dogs to walk and other such stuff, but managed to sit in front of the screen with chordie open and Youtube on another tab playing said song. Here's the best audio version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDYK5SBnVaQ

All was going well until I found the bit that begins "Bring a song for the evening" and I quickly realised that the chords given were spot on but for this missing section.
Lazy to the last, I searched and searched the web for the missing section to no avail, even looked into buying it - no-one carried it.
Bit me lip and reapplied myself to that section and found a couple of chords that reoccurred and got the feel more and more with each relooping.
When I came back from chompers, I got it right after a few tries. The missing section cracked.
Today I've been prettey tied up with duties, but in the odd 15 minutes here and there I've gone back to it to polish my arrangement. But it's the feeling at realising a song you've loved for lontime and had baulked at learning before has been cracked.

The Diem was Carped, a very rewarding time!

How do you tackle these "envelope pushers?"
How do you go about practicing with regard to set up and personal mood?
How do you feel and what do you do when you've cracked a song that's pushed you?
Do you like my guitar?

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Re: A Date With Carenza and Heavy Horses.

I practice at different times of the day.  15 minutes here a half hour there.  I like to practice alone in my bedroom.  I am trying to learn Classical gas, but it is very hard for me.  It's a slow learning process for me.  I have just barley learned the intro and now I am trying to get it up to speed.  When I get that down, I will proceed to the next part.  It really feels great when, after having trouble with it for a few weeks, I finally get it.  It's a good feeling.  And I sit there and wonder why it took me so long.  Now, I make it a point to playthe part I know evrytime I sit down.  Just to keep in practice.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I like your guitar and the song by Jethro Tull when you get it worked out record it so we can hear what you have been pushing the envelope to do,I practice everyday mostly runs scales and experiment with new progressions in addition to compositions so I really dont do other artist material not that I dont like the songs but I would rather listen then take the time to learn which is better spent on my own music as far as an envelope for me I guess it would have to be playing a quick phrase with precision over and over till its dead on smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

4 (edited by KajiMa 2009-05-10 17:57:24)

Thanks Russell!

The envelope pushing was really only that I had to work some of the chords out and Ian Anderson is known for his weird chord changes and as I said - I'm lazy.

The buzz was that I worked out the chords on Friday night so I could play along with the link in my first post and spent Saturday polishing the arrangement/performance when I could fit it into another busy day.

If I could afford one of these -
http://www.12fret.com/new/greenfield2.jpg
at £9,995.00 I wouldn'tspend my time doin' anything else 'cos I could afford to just play! smile smile smile cool

My practice conditions are usually very cramped and I can't put up a music stand. I'm sitting oblique on a small sofa with any music on said sofa next to me. Makes for achy practice sessions but if you want to do it, you do it!

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Kajima,

My mate lived in a small flat a few years ago and just had a small 2 seater sofa which he sat on at the edge uncomfortable to play.
I leant him my tripod camping stool that eaisly folded away after use, he found it more comfortable to play on than having an aching bum and back.

Just a thought if you want to try that out, you can get them for just a few quid.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks Ken.

There is my round top, pneumatic, swivel stool - somewhere (probably sulking under my keyboard).

Have to see if I can fit it in!