Topic: Strumming Patterns

Can somone give me some strumming patterns that are common?  Are there common strumming patterns?  Guess I am not sure there is such a thing, but it seems like there would be.

I am absolutely new to the guitar, but do read music but do understand 1/2 1/8 1/16 ect.   It is the up strum and down strum and how they are mixed that seems to excape me.  The up strum feels strange and mine sounds terrible.

Now I hope I have asked a question that makes sense.

Thanks

Bruce

Re: Strumming Patterns

I have been playing for about a year. As you get better you will be able to play more relaxed so your strumming will sound better. For now, when you find a strum that works for a simple song - write it down so you do it exactly the same everytime you play the song

Yea i think the relaxation thing will be a big help. 

Thats exactly what I want a few patterns I can write down and practice and burn in my brain.

I know how you feel, check out this link

<a href="http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa072299a.htm" target="_blank">http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa072299a.htm</a>

hope it helps

the best way to keep your wrist when you strum is beyond relaxed, make it limp.  Hold the pick like it's a potato chip or something very brittle...if you hold it too tight it will crack, too loose and the strings will knock it out of your hand.  now that you're limp wristed, make the up and down strumming equal.  keep it at sixteenth notes.  When I strum, i am constantly maintaining the strumming motion.  i'm not always hitting the strings, but my hand is going up and down the whole time.  to add rhythmic variety, emphasise the up strums, then the down strums.  do it fast and slow...

also, try hitting only top strings and then only bottom strings...hit all the strings...this practice session is a fun one.  Strumming might be one of the most fun things to do on guitar...it is certainly an agression reliever!

1/2  1/8   1/16   These are just the tempo of the songs eg:1/2 time

they can be broken down to these four simple segments 1/4 time, 2/4 time, 3/4 timeand 4/4 timing..

EG: Kenny rogers The gambler   D chord  Bass note then down up bass note down up

G chord  Bass note then down up bass note down up

D chord  Bass note then down up bass note down up

This is a 4/4 timing Should sound somrthing like bass down up , bass down up

3/4 is like Willie Nelson or Anne Murray  Bass Down Down

The most popular strumming patern is DOWN,DOWN, UP, UP, DOWN......

To pratice just ry the G Chord and says it out loud ,,DOWN,DOWN, UP, UP, DOWN......

Then try swithching to an Em with the same patern the C then D

This will give you LAST KISS BY PEARL JAM enjoy