Re: Random or What???!!!: Episode II

Poll time.  Should I shave? 

I'll make up my own mind, but that's the issue to vote upon.  It's like one of those internet votes where your opinion doesn't really matter, except I won't infect your computer with a virus. 

I grew a goatee a couple years ago for the heck of it.  I grew a goatee because I have enough facial scars to limit growth of a full beard.  However, I haven't shaved for a week at this point because I've been working from home and putting in long days and it just hasn't been a priority.  Things are growing in a bit thicker than normal and what the heck maybe I should try a full beard.  Then again, it's summer and it's hot and that could be pretty itchy.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

52 (edited by dfoskey 2009-07-16 13:38:43)

I say go for it. I've had a gotee for the last 4 years and i can't imagine myself without it anymore. I never could handle the full beard. It's just too much trouble plus my wife and baby girl didn't like it to much either.

Hey guys! smile i am at a lumberjack show in st stephen right now.
My epiphone les paul's frets are starting to get a little worn; how long before i take it in for a tune up?

The world is only going to get worse!

Tune the A string to the hum of the winning chain saw.

If a lumberjack demonstrates the skill of his profession on your epiphone, then I'd suggest that a tune up would not be enough.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

A log with finely tuned strings. Loguitar.  Very deep bass sound

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

my brother and i played guitar all day when we stayed in the countryside because there was nothing else to do (but what is there that's better anyway?). we played sitting on a green wall that keeps the river from flooding, great view but i kept worrying my guitar would fall in the river. i don't think it can swim!

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls

i only just properly read those last 3 quotes! very funny! i love chordie - daily entertainment!

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls

just trying to grow a moustache lol

The world is only going to get worse!

Just came back from a walk.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

washed by Him! wrote:

just trying to grow a moustache lol

Are you male or female?

Give everything but up.

chicken in the fridge, yep theres a chicken in the fridge. No head, no guts but there's a chicken in the fridge
its sitting next to the cheese
strawberry jam if you please
theres a chicken in the fridge, theres a chicken in the fridge.
the tub of meat is out of date
the tomato disovling into the plate
theres a chicken in the fridge, it has no feathers and it has no chin but theres a chicken in the fridge.
the lettuce smells like a compost heap
the yohgurts are not fit to keep
theres a chicken in the fridge
beetroot a natural ink
and the maonaise makes you think
theres a chicken in the fridge, there's a chicken in the........
the chickens in the oven all I got to do is turn it on.

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Not another Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial!

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hey, I like Kentucky fried chicken, especially original recipe chicken filet sandwich........YUM.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I'm in a real funk lately, between driving my daughter to driving lessons and college investigations for her and multiple stressors.....................I'm ashamed to admit that I have not touched my guitar in a months time.  <sigh>  I am such a guitar loser.

Well, don't beat yourself up.  I've been dealing with a lot of conflicting priorities lately too, and haven't run a scale in probably three months.  When I do get a few minutes to pick up my song, I just want to play and have fun but not work on anything to improve.  No scales, no exercises, no new riffs, not even any warm up.  Just pick it up and bang out a song that my fingers could do in my sleep, and I usually get interupted partway through that.  It's just that stage of life.  You know, between 9th grade and retirement, that stage where we're all just crazy busy. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

Well, don't beat yourself up.  I've been dealing with a lot of conflicting priorities lately too, and haven't run a scale in probably three months.  When I do get a few minutes to pick up my song, I just want to play and have fun but not work on anything to improve.  No scales, no exercises, no new riffs, not even any warm up.  Just pick it up and bang out a song that my fingers could do in my sleep, and I usually get interupted partway through that.  It's just that stage of life.  You know, between 9th grade and retirement, that stage where we're all just crazy busy. 

- Zurf

Thanks Zurf, I hear what your saying, but every time I look at my untouched guitar case, I feel bad and then I remember why I started on this path and the pleasure it brings me.  I just need to feel that again and right now I don't....whether it's the aspergers syndrome or the ADD, or whatever, I want to do better, but, I just don't feel I ever can. 

I know I'll get back to it, it's just an emo point and overwhelming tasks point in my life right now.   Sensory overload and wishing I had started so much earlier paralyzes me.  Like the CS&N song, "Time we have wasted on the way."  I need to give myself a kick in the butt!

FWIW, I'm venting, though I appreciate any thoughts that people have to say!

Peace

Vent away smile We all go through this at points in our life. Some more than others but the ones who love to play always come back cause it just plain feels so go-o-o-o-od inside. And they know it. smile

The passion will come back when its time if you let it in. 

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

69 (edited by bensonp 2009-08-09 22:03:00)

Pick it up and play some C&W sad tunes.  George Jones or something.  That'll pick you up.  Or put you down further.  If you're not playing it, you're thinking about playing it.  That's what the legends do, you know.

ozymandias wrote:

I need to give myself a kick in the butt!

Well, in that case, I guess you can go ahead and beat yourself up.

Guitar and music should be fun.  Fun that takes a lot of effort, sure, but fun nevertheless.  If it's not bringing you pleasure at the moment, then by all means take a break until the itch returns.  But given that your expressed regret is not starting sooner and being better by now, I fail to see how going more slowly is going to help lessen the regret. 

As far as Aspergers and ADD, I don't know anything.  If those are the causes of any guitar related issues, feel free to disregard anything I post at will.  If those are excuses you're giving yourself, though, proceed with the self-inflicted butt-kicking.  Only you know for sure (and I suppose maybe your therapist). 

On the third hand, I used to jamm with a fellow who had problems with depression.  Personally, I think he sounded great.  We always had a good time when we jammed, and he was clearly the more skilled of the two of us.  But he gave up guitar completely because he didn't sound as good as he thought he should.  I thought that was sad, but while he sounded good to me the guitar just brought him stress.  So, for him, he decided to let that stress go out of his life.  He was on the negative of the whole cost/benefit assessment when comparing the stress and the pleasure it brought him.

- Zurf

71 (edited by ozymandias 2009-08-10 00:14:59)

bensonp wrote:

Pick it up and play some C&W sad tunes.  George Jones or something.  That'll pick you up.  Or put you down further.  If you're not playing it, you're thinking about playing it.  That's what the legends do, you know.

Good point...and at least I'm thinking it and it is more along the lines of picking myself up.  I sure as heck don't intend to be put down further.   Though I ain't no legend and never will be.  I miss the routine of my group class and individual lesson times. 

And Zurf, that is what I meant by "kicking myself in the butt."  I want my routine back, weekly group jamming sessions and bi-weekly individual lesson.  Something we with asperger's syndrome crave/need.

I have sacrificed my routine for the greater good of my daughters future and though that sounds weird and possibly selfish.  I need my routines to function and playing guitar has been one of the things that has kept me sane all these years.  Aspergers and ADD is not an excuse, it's who I am and I need to "kick myself in the butt" to carve out a new routine. 

I know that makes no sense, but, please remember I'm spouting/venting and the thoughts of others is important, but, I'm also trying to make sense to myself.

Peace

ozymandias wrote:

I'm also trying to make sense to myself.

As are many of us - it's a crazy mixed up world we live in and I confuse myself!

Hey Ozy, man, buenos dias! cool

Hey my random brother, it's been a walk thru' the Sahara - long time , no sea! roll

Sorry!

I'm sad that things are getting you down and I do understand a bit, maybe more and I'd like to tell you a story!

I was walking through a, shall we say, rather less than salubrious part of London. I'd been up there to do 2 things; firstly I was there at request to play for an end of run party for students from the Poor School in Kings Cross; and secondly to talent scout there and at Central for future projects.

I was walking thru' this rough area and walking on the opposite side of the road to me, going in the opposite direction was a guy, much like myself except different ethnicity, different clothes, different build - as far as visual appearances go we couldn't be more different. We looked at each other and at the same moment we smiled - not just a smile, mark you, but they became really cheesy grins; like, if we were on the same side of the road going opposite directions we knew we'd have said "Hi!" in passing; waiting for the same bus we'd have been chatting like old friends within minutes, if only that road hadn't been between us.

That didn't matter; the smiles were communication enough.

What was the reason for this fraternal bonding across the width of a road? We were both carrying guitar cases! cool

We knew we were brothers of the 6th string with many differences but many shared experiences via the guitar! The road between prevented more than a mutual cheesy grinning nod as we drew level, that was all.

At Chordie, everyone is here because we are all brothers and sisters of the 6th string! We all (most of us at least) put down the guitar and feel guilty for not playing for a day/week/month. We all put the guitar down because we hate it/ourselves/jobs/bills/etc. It doesn't matter. If you don't play the guitar for 5 years are you going to forget how to do a C chord? Does that make you stop being a guitarist?

Make your musical routine Chordie in the chat sections or wherever you want to go and talk/help/pass on info - or just be random ( smile ). When you feel that you want to play your guitar again because it makes you feel happy to do so you will.

'Til then come chat and have FUN without stressing!!!

Gans pup bollonjeth oll da, soaz! (With every good wish, mate!)

Check your E-mail shortly!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Thanks folks, I'm working on getting perspective in all this and venting and getting the thoughts of others helps.  Right now I'm just taking one day and week at a time. 

Peace

moths wit hbig furry eyes are the scariest of all insects, especially when ye see there fangs dripping with blood

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

My wife would agree with you!