Topic: Zurfapalooza

Well, OldNewbie couldn't make it.  Or at least didn't.  My fishing buds backed out too, at least one of which notified me in advance.  The neighbor never showed up, which is fine.  He's got a couple kids and a wife and so his time is no more his own than mine is.  I understand perfectly where he's coming from.  And the guy from church text messaged me, but he used text message code and I have no idea what he meant.  I'll ask him tomorrow.  It was nice of him to try to let me know something anyway.

But all of those no-shows are made up for by who did show, and right on time too.  Detman101 and Jets60.  The three of us, and for two songs my eight year old daughter, had a good time. 

We mostly played our own stuff and did some fill in when we knew it, but we all got together and played Jets60's "Forgotten Wheels".  I tried to record it on my camera, but it doesn't seem to have taken.  But Detman101 got a sound recording on his smart phone.  He intends to post it.  We also all played together on Russell's "A Few To Many" with me doing lead lyrics and Detman101 playing lead on guitar.  Jets60 strummed along.  Finally, Detman101 was riffing on some stuff and then through in a lick I recognized and we turned it into "Ain't No Sunshine" by ??? Withers.  I messed the lyrics up by singing the wrong verses in the right places or the right verses in the wrong places, I'm not sure which.  Suffice to say it wasn't correct, but we had a good time anyway. 

I did get some still photos that I'll post once I get them downloaded.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 (edited by Detman101 2009-06-14 00:07:02)

Re: Zurfapalooza

Hello everyone,

We had a GREAT time at Zurf's house tonight playing in his backyard! check out the song we played!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG0BMZgAps4

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Outstanding!!!! sounds like a great day and it could turn into an annual event nice to hear you did my song I am looking forward to the photos and a video if you did manage to get it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russ...the link to the video is in my post above yours.

=p
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Was a great time and having some of it captured for the whole world to see topped it.  Detman, I wish we got some more of your playing though and Zurf you had some great songs, even with your youngest hanging on you.  Can't wait for out next get together smile

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Jets,

I got so into playing with you guys and forgot to keep recording....lol. Next time I will be ready with the blackberry and record the entire session, outtakes and all hehe.

I haven't had that much fun in ages. It's so rare that I get to actually play with other guitarists.
I've been telling  my wife (for the past hour) over and over how much fun I had!
You guys taught me a lot today. I'm thanking God for this opportunity because you all have definitely given me hope that I too will be able to sing and play today. It's so much more encouraging to see it live instead of on the computer all the time.

Definitely count me in for the next time, any time and every time!!!

big_smile
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Well you guys are welcome back here anytime.  My wife commented after you left how nice you both were, and how indulgent you were with my youngest's shenanigans.  She was quite a pistol yesterday - interrupting songs to ask for "mushpillows" to roast even though she hadn't had dinner yet and had the same answer a zillion times already.  At one point, she was literally hanging on my back with her arm around my neck *while* I was playing and singing.   I messed up the lyrics on that one, but in my defense it is hard to concentrate on lyrics while fending off an over-excited child from kicking my guitar and strangling me.  She shows off when new people are around, and I think we had a little bit of that and a little bit of "Holy Cow I can actually be outside for once" from all the rain we've been having. 

My eldest lead two songs.  One she learned in school, and one she wrote as a report for school.  The guys seemed to like the second one, about alligators, particularly.  So my eight year old has written half as many songs as I have, and both Jets60 and Detman101 agreed that she's got it all over me in quality.  I have to admit they're right.  Rhyming "scutes" would be tough. 

We talked about redoing this event in Detman's studio.  I'd like that.  I'd love to hear "Forgotten Wheels" with a rhythm, lead, bass combo.  I'll have to brush up on bass, as right now my basses are dust collectors, but it'd be worth it.  Also "A Few To Many."  You guys should have heard Detman's leads on that.  For a guy who claims to have grown up on 80's techno music, he's sure got Country style drinkin' and cheatin' lead licks down cold. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

good to hear it all went well and everyone got on and enjoyed each others company. helps even more when the better halves comment on how nice people are, makes you feel like you done something right  lol

detman, did you not manage to record anything for yuotubio?

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Looks like a great time guys!! Wish I was a little closer, I'd have loved to meet you guys and strummed along. Maybe the next one.. smile  Glad you guys had a good time and were able to capture some of it! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have a nice warm feeling inside. Beautiful times gentlemen. The world is a nicer place for that. Cheers.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

11 (edited by Zurf 2009-06-14 16:58:44)

Well, I'm just back from church and found out why the fellow from church's message made no sense.  He was just back from the emergency room from falling off a moving truck and had 11 stitches in his head.  I don't think any of us would have made much sense in those circumstances.  Amazingly thoughtful of him to even think to send a message with all that going on. 

He was sorry to have missed it (I'll bet! A jam is WAY better than getting your head stitched up).  He hopes to make the next one, which I hope will be sooner than a whole year from now.  Perhaps another before school goes back in session.

- Zurf

Thanks I checked it out which one is Detman lol you guys need some light I couldn't tell who was who but it sounded good and that's all that counts and looks like you had a great time smile

Detman101 wrote:

=p
Dm

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Some people will do anything to get out of a good jam session.  I hope he's alright.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Lol Zurf, My lead licks are all I've got until I can create and play songs like you guys do.
I really liked playing with you guys, I felt like I fit in...finally! I don't get that feeling when I play music a lot of times. But then again, I don't get to play with other guitarists often at all.

I'm looking forward to the next time everyone is available to get together.

smile
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Nice work fellas....this could be an point of inspiration for all. I'm thinking there needs to be a Scottish equivalent set up some day.....until the International event gets scheduled anyway. Could be a world record Jam that one. Something to think about.

Watched the video on Youtube and it looked good fun. Good on you!!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Russell_Harding wrote:

Thanks I checked it out which one is Detman lol you guys need some light I couldn't tell who was who but it sounded good and that's all that counts and looks like you had a great time smile

Detman101 wrote:

=p
Dm

We were in the shade of a big maple.  Detman on the left, me in the rear, and Jets60 on the right. 

My camera did capture the video, but I've been having some "technical difficulties" lately with downloading photos.  I'll get it straightened out and download the video.  Maybe I can zip it or put it on a CD and send it to Detman to post on Youtube.  I don't have an account.

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Detman101 wrote:

=p
Dm

We were in the shade of a big maple.  Detman on the left, me in the rear, and Jets60 on the right. 

My camera did capture the video, but I've been having some "technical difficulties" lately with downloading photos.  I'll get it straightened out and download the video.  Maybe I can zip it or put it on a CD and send it to Detman to post on Youtube.  I don't have an account.

- Zurf

That will work. I can convert whatever format it is recorded in to something acceptable by youtube and host it on my youtube channel.
Of course, I'll post a link here for everyone to see.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Sounds like a good time had by all.
Good on ya Zurf for putting on the first annual? "Zurfapaloosa"
Looking forwards to the pics also smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I'm not sure why folks keep saying "annual" and "next year."  I don't see any reason we can't have things like this more often than a year, especially if we're willing to picnic or whatever.  I think it might be fun to pick a park, through up a 10x10 shelter, let the kids play nearby and have a little fun.  I'm centrally located.  It takes each of the others about 1/2 hour drive to get here.  That's nothing.  I've driven three hours to fish, found the water too rough to handle, turned around and come home and considered it a good day.

Zurf wrote:

I'm not sure why folks keep saying "annual" and "next year."  I don't see any reason we can't have things like this more often than a year, especially if we're willing to picnic or whatever.  I think it might be fun to pick a park, through up a 10x10 shelter, let the kids play nearby and have a little fun.  I'm centrally located.  It takes each of the others about 1/2 hour drive to get here.  That's nothing.  I've driven three hours to fish, found the water too rough to handle, turned around and come home and considered it a good day.

Amen to that!!
I'd be willing to do this as often as time and opportunity will allow.
A whole year between is way way too long. Plus, playing guitar with others is enough fun that I couldn't see doing it once a year max.

=\
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

All right then.  I'll get started on figuring something for the next one sometime in August.  July is a wash for me between vacation and work responsibilities.  There's a spot right alongside the Potomac River I have in mind.  I don't really have a studio in my house, but given how the bugs were bothering Detman the other day maybe an inside jamm would be better.  I just prefer being outside any chance I get and somehow or other acoustic music is just improved by the sound of insects and birds and streams. 

It was pretty funny watching the video I got.  Jets60 and I are hikers from way back and neither even noticed the bugs but Detman101 was swatting and waving and wiggling.  You'll see what I mean once I get it to Detman101 to post.  I did swat a nasty looking spider from my leg at one point, so I can't laugh too much.  Then again, I kept a song going with a four year old choking me with one arm and banging my head with the other. 

- Zurf

Saturdays August 15 and 22 look like the best dates right now.  Pencil them in.

I'll see what I can do about getting better video equipment for the next rendition.  Dm has made a good suggestion in that regard.  Some electric may be in order, possibly even a mixer.  I'll see what I can do.  A good buddy of mine likes having jamms at his house because he plays drums (loudly). 

- Zurf

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to imply this as an "annual" event. Good on you for ramping it up. The more you get together can only be a good thing. smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

bud_wiser wrote:

Nice work fellas....this could be an point of inspiration for all. I'm thinking there needs to be a Scottish equivalent set up some day.....until the International event gets scheduled anyway.

Interesting.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:
bud_wiser wrote:

Nice work fellas....this could be an point of inspiration for all. I'm thinking there needs to be a Scottish equivalent set up some day.....until the International event gets scheduled anyway.

Interesting.

interesting it is.

Paisley, Balloch, Al in kilbrachin? johnston? somewhere near there?
so a radius within 20 odd miles.
not impossible

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending