1 (edited by Seersha 2009-06-19 19:53:57)

Topic: Tuning!

I found another one of my guitars in the garage today. (My father had unceremoniously chucked it in one of his tool cupboards when I moved out, but it seem seems no worse for wear, yay super hard guitar case that could withstand the force of an atomic bomb) this guitar

(seen in this senior photo http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/ … s016-1.jpg tulsser I think...)

is wwwwwwwaaaaaaaay out of tune... how do people tune it by ear? I guess I could compare it to my crushed peg guitar...that one is miraculously 99% in tune because the pegs are pretty much stuck in place so it's nearly impossible to move.

The thing is... with the silvertone.... it's nylon string so my fingers aren't being ripped to shreds and callouses aren't developing. Sounds morbid, but that's what I'm trying to do. Strong fingers.

I guess I could ask a guy at a guitar shop, but while I'm stuck in Cali with my tone-deaf family (which is where I get it from wink ) I'm kinda stuck.

So I guess I'm asking...any good tricks? I feel like I'm about to do open-heart surgery for the first time. I have a sort of reverence for guitars and I'm afraid to mess with them,

Guitar: Jay Turser "Statue of Liberty" guitar
I've decided to name it (drum roll please) Liberty.
I'm a noob guitarist but I have the love of a pro.
I want to learn everything I can.

Re: Tuning!

Hi sheersha,

Assuming your computer has speakers, there are a ton of on-line guitar tuners out there. Here's one:

http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/

BTW- nice pic - beautiful wink

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Wow, she's a beauty. 

There's a lot of tuning guides on Youtube, you just need to pick one.  Here's one but he takes about 2 minutes to play the Open E (6th) string.  Once you get that one this lesson will keep you in tune at least close for the time being.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkrpbng5hFg
And welcome to Chordie.
Steve

OMG! That is the most awesome thing ever! Thanks!!

Guitar: Jay Turser "Statue of Liberty" guitar
I've decided to name it (drum roll please) Liberty.
I'm a noob guitarist but I have the love of a pro.
I want to learn everything I can.

Great picture, lovely guitar, beautiful young lady.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EB … QKPZ180ZXW

Great investment, and will help train your ear.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

To the question--how do people tune it by ear?-- smile
  With every ones ears being different . For me, if I gently thumb pick an in tune open A,then while it's still a firm sound. Gently thumb the D string. When you can hear the oscillating tone from the D, adjust the tuner -up or down in tone- till the D is a straight sound wave in your ear with the A string. Then the G string to the D. and so on an on. To get the A string in tune. Use a 'A' tuning fork and tune the A string to it with the same method of listening to the oscillating tone waves and trying to make them parallel . I think every one can hear this , if they pay attention and know what to listen for. It usually "not always" works for me.  Hope this helps, never tried to explain this before.

P.S. when tuned this way, any open string's wave will be parallel with any other open string and to any fretted note, if fretted just right, and if the intonation is superb. And judging only by the appearance  of your beautiful guitar, this should work.

Ron

8 (edited by cytania 2009-06-24 10:22:35)

You'll find your ear develops over years Seersha. However as a beginner a tuner of somekind will save you alot of annoyance. The best kind for acoustic are contact tuners. Quite cheap now too, heck they are even giving 'emergency tuners' away free with guitar string packs. Contact tuners have little jaws that clip on and 'feel' the headstock vibrations. Don't get hung-up on perfect pitch, a few freaks can develop it real quick, but it just comes with familiarity with pitch. Even before electronic tuners players would tune to the pipe organ or whatever...

No harm in playing nylon strings. They're quieter and mellow sounding, they don't strum quite the same as steel but classical players use nothing else. You will get callouses with them, just not like steel strings. Callouses go with regular playing, I lost my fingertip ones when playing bass alot in the Spring and gained long callouses down the sides of my fingers. Playing more acoustic this summer so they're back and peeling ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Aabb, first off if you hid my tuner and loosened off all my tuning pegs I wouldn't use my ear to start with, I'd adjust the strings until the tension felt right under my fingers, obviously this is an experience thing and I don't mess with different gauge strings. Second I'd pay attention to the bass E. E tends to be the note/string your ear gets most atuned to. Then I work down fretting at 5th and tuning the string below to that. The Exception is the G string which you fret at 4th. Once you get to the treble E you can compare it to the bass E. Keep repeating till things sound right. The guitar is then in tune with itself, maybe not perfect 440hz but since I don't use it in a band good enough. People will not run screaming from a guitar tuned this way or indeed vocals sung to it. Perfect-pitch freaks will object though. If you find it odd, well that's your ear developing ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Beautiful guitar.  I hope it sounds as nice as it looks.  You're pretty easy on the eyes yourself.  I have nothing to add to the tuning conversation.  I use a tuner and always have.  It's easier that way.  As far as I'm concerned, as long as tuners are cheap and easy there's not much need to develop a fine ear.  I'm not trying to be a roadie or a guitar tech, I just want to pick on the front porch swing or around the campfire from time to time. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That is a beautiful photo the guitar is unusual especially the sound hole Ive never seen one like that and you are a very attractive lady good combination smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Yes, electronic tuner, it will take years to develop ear tuning ability on the average person, so don't think your in the minority if you can't do it yet.  3 years and I can't do it yet, I'm getting closer...  There are tuners that you mount inside of the sound hole that you can see as your playing, but others can't, which is what I may go to, tough to install something like that on the guitar in the pic...neat guitar by the way.

-Mike

Now now cytania , I wasn't  advising Seersha to tune by hear, only trying "poorly I guess" to explain what to listen to when tuning by ear,   
But if your tuner was ever misplaced and your pegs were loose and I was nearby. You could use my tuner, I'm never without one. In standard pitch is the only place to be, just ask the piano player!  smile

Ron

Seersha

Tuning by ear will take time ... I've been playing for 3 years and I can get close to tuning it by ear but I'm usually a half-step off ... perhaps in another year I'll take a half-step forward tongue

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75