1 (edited by siggi56 2009-06-25 21:42:48)

Topic: Hi (An Introduction)

I don't remember ever having posted before. so I just wanted to say "hey" ! smile

I am a musician (primary instrument, drums) who has recently been diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's.

I also play guitar ( 6 string Takamine Jasmine accoustic-electric ),

I have been using this site for chords and tabs for three years now, and just wanted to say thanks, because one of the things I still can do is play and sing, and many of my tunes come from right here.

My real name is Bill, I am 59 and I live in Carrollton, Georgia. I can no longer drive nor work, so I have a lot of time on my hands these days. wink

I also am writing to let you know that I may be asking some questions that you may feel I should already know (as a musician), and I would not want you to think of me as a troll.

Thanks for the site, and if you have any questions about my Alzheimer's and how it relates to my music, feel free to shoot me an e-mail or a PM.

Thanks

Bill

ETA: Apparently I have posted before! wink
PS: One of the other things I love to do (and it helps my cognitive memory) is play World of Warcraft!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Hi (An Introduction)

Welcome to Chordie Bill.  Sorry to hear what is going on there, but keep your spirits positive with a good daily dose of music.  If it works on headaches it's prob good for everything else.  When it's not going too well, let the folks here know and you're sure to hear from a lot of good people.
Steve

Hey sig and welcome

Howdy bill. Welcome to the forum. Loads of great people on here, sure you'll like it.

All the best,

Mark

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Hey Siggi56!

Great intro!

Crap about your health, great to have you aboard!

cool

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hi Bill and welcome to Chordie sorry to hear of your bad luck but keep on pickin and ask away we like to help each other smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Well, Alzheimer's sucks.  Sorry you had to get mixed up in that.  But it's sure great to hear that you're picking and playing and singing.  Keep that up for sure! 

Welcome aboard.  We're glad you're here.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks to all of you, for that very nice welcome.

I wanted to relate an incident I had a couple of months ago, during which I forgot how to tune my guitar to each string (forgot what's that's called). So I get the "E" sounding right, and I go across the frets, but suddenly I forget which string is "different". That is I knew I was supposed to strike a string above the frets I used prior to getting "there", but it just completely "left" me which string was different.

I have since solved that problem by realizing that one of my amps has its own tuner onboard!

Just wanted to point that out in case I come up with something "off the wall", and so that you all will know to "consider the source"! smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

hi

FENDER-GOOD BRAND,AND NICE GUITARS
   IBANEZ-EHH WELL THERE PRETTY GOOD
    well yeah guitars guitars guitars
     !NEVER PUT OF TOMORROW WHAT YOU CAN AVOID ALL TOGETHER!

Hey!

How's everything in NZ (one of my favorite future-places to visit since LOTR)?

Do you mind if people refer to you as "Kiwi"? smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Hi siggi56/Bill
Welcome to Chordie.
I saw a TV documentary on Terry Pratchett who has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s he had his way with coping with his illness and I'm sure you have your own. Music is a great way of taking your mind off your troubles even if it's only for a short while..:)
ark

Ark, I did a piece on Sir Terry on my blog. It's actually a video where he talks about his AD. MY way of coping is with the blog. I don't hold anything in, and I stay on top of the latest developments in research.

It's gratifying to have a place to come to - to share music and chat.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Hi Bill, welcome to Chordie. Wish you all the best.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Sorry to hear about your ilness, but I can't think of anything better to keep you going than the guitar.  Good luck and stick around here.  We'll help all we can, bud.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hi Siggi56,

Just wanted to let you know were glad to have you aboard, there is nothing like music to take your mind off any troubles, it lets everything melt away. So just jump in and hang on!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

16 (edited by siggi56 2009-06-30 23:50:55)

Y'all just be patient with me, okay?

And if there's ever anyone who thinks I'm a troll, please tell them differently?

You won't believe the amount of abuse I have taken on other boards (not musical), and when I explain, it just makes people feel bad, and I don't want that to happen either.

Folks have a pre-conceived notion about AD, but not all of us are incontinent right from the start. We DO still have a lot of cognitive function, and we want to hang on to it as long as we can.

That's why my guitar helps so much.

I know what I'm supposed to sing, in what key. to each chord, and I hope I can hang on to that for as long as I can.

www.alz.org, if you have someone who needs help.

Thank You All SO MUCH!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

arkady wrote:

Hi siggi56/Bill
Welcome to Chordie.
I saw a TV documentary on Terry Pratchett who has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s he had his way with coping with his illness and I'm sure you have your own. Music is a great way of taking your mind off your troubles even if it's only for a short while..:)
ark

"You have mail!"

Sir Terry rocks (rocked - whatever!)

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

18 (edited by siggi56 2010-01-05 00:09:37)

Hello!

Been a while, huh? smile

Since I last posted, much has happened - much of it with the dementia which, unfortunately has gotten worse.

I am very fortunate to have a wonderful support group which includes my wife, son and my brother, as well as the in-laws.

The holidays didn't go too well for me and I kept a low profile.

On Thanksgiving, I did go to a family get-together and played my guitar and sang Christmas Carols with the children, but I asked to be taken home because after I had put my guitar in her case, I wanted to go out to the porch and sit and talk with the "guys", but bumped my head right into one of those glass "storm doors". To make matters worse, when I DID get the door open and stepped through, I missed a small ledge and stumbled like a drunk onto the porch.

Since I "clown around" with the kids a lot, I recovered, went "Ta-Daaaaa!", but soon thereafter asked my wife to take me home.

The short-term memory is getting worse and unless I'm talking music, drumming, guitar-playing or cycling, I REALLLY have to concentrate on what I want to say/write.

Haven't actually attempted it, but scared my wife enough when I asked if it wouldn't be better if I weren't around, that she asked me to admit myself to a pyschiatric hospital in Atlanta and that's where I spent 4 days.

It was actually okay, because I had been forgetting to take my meds and so was really off-kilter with the depression-management. The dementia meds I take don't actually REVERSE the disease, they just try to keep it from getting worse.

So we got all that regulated and I also made some good friends - two of whom played guitar!
I DO pick up the Jasmine now and then, but it's really an effort sometimes, though I DO miss it.

So......

Just checking in to let y'all know I'm (mostly) still around, though as The Beatles say on The White Album, "I'm a little older and a little slower"! smile

So did YOU think YOUR holidays sucked?????;)

Did I just make you feel a LITTLE better about that???? smile

As I said before, I like knowing this site is here (even though I do forget sometimes), and I feel a very strong bond with my fellow musicians here on Chordie.

Wishing all the best to you in 2010.

Thanks,

Bill (siggi56)

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Hi Bill. Welcome to the site my friend. I, like yourself, have only been a member for a short while but it has to be said that the comradeship on this site is second to none. I have had loads of help and advice from the members here and you wont find a better bunch of people anywhere. I am sorry to hear of your illness and can only hope that you find as much enjoyment from your guitar as I do with mine. As for other sites, the ones that I have tried in the past have turned out to be total rubbish with "clique" systems all over them. If you failed to agree with any of the "chosen Few" they didnt want to know you. You wont find that on this site as the members here have made me feel really welcome from my first visit here. Have a scroll through all of the sections on the site Bill as I did. You will be amazed at how many songs you will be able to play with the help from this site. Great to have you here my friend !

Best Wishes,

gag.

Strats Rule Forever !!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill!  Although I've been a regular poster here for a few months, you actually found this site before me.  So... I won't say welcome to the site, but rather welcome back!  Truly, this is an awesome bunch of people.  You know what?  Even if you come here just to tell us a little story that doesn't relate too much to guitar, we'll be here for you.  This place is like family, and I've never met a better group of "strangers"!!  smile  I've thought over the years of what types of ailments, medical issues could be "the worst" ... and on the top of that list is blindness... although I wonder if dealing with what you are would actually be worse.  I imagine depression must be a very big issue.  I've seen my grandfather go thru some serious bouts of depression (even attempting suicide at 70 years old) as he began to realize that he just couldn't take care of himself and my grandma (she was a very heavy woman with severe arthritis that just could NOT do much... and in the end, liver failure caused severe dementia fast and hard... God rest her soul now).  I'm glad to hear that you allow your family to help you and that you are trying to take one day at a time.  Depending on others is difficult as we as people are stubborn and would rather take care of those we love than to be taken care of.  We'll keep you in mind often and when ever you come back to visit us here.  If you click on your user name, and then to the bottom on "show all posts" you can go back thru any conversations you've had here on the site if that helps you at all.  May your good days be the absolute best... keep on listening to the music you love and singing ... and when you can ... play the day away!  ((HUGS))

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Brain chemistry and medicine.  Let's just say that there's a lot of work yet to do by the medical community to get it working better.  I'm glad for you Bill that your wife was smart enough and caring enough to get you attention immediately so that you could get your meds in order.  Keep on pushing and keep on singing.  No more of that naughty talk.  From now on when you get to feeling down, you have one of two assignments.  One, tell your wife.  Two, write a blues song.  Then bang on some drums.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Bill,

I'm sure others like me have been wondering how you were doing.I'm glad your back posting and that you have your meds back on track. I think having the ability to sing and play is good therapy, try to do as much as that as posibble and keep posting to let us know how your doing.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Hi Siggi ,
   Welcome aboard ...
                                    Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Welcome Back Bill smile
Good to hear from you and looking forwards to hearing more from you. smile
You have the whole world listening right here if you have a story to tell.

Kudos to you for being up front.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hello everyone
I am a Christian and believe in God with all my Heart. Myself Ashton from USA and i have found this site from Google search. I found here some problem and its solution so i think that here my problem will be solved. I have completed my graduation in Computer science. Anyway if you have any query regarding to my subject, feel free to ask me.