Topic: singing

Bit of a stupid question here but here goes....
When playing the acoustic guitar what's the highest key you can sing in and what is the lowest?

Re: singing

I believe that is all up to your particular vocal range and abilities.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I fing it really difficult to sing in  E through to A but find it more comfortable in  Bb to D. Yes, that's right D. I think I'm a freak.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I have great trouble in finding the right key to suit, i never know whether to go up or down!!

I seem to be better in G with a capo on the 1st or second, or even third???  C seems ok too.  Saying that is changes every day??

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

I have problems in G unless I'm really belting it out.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

7 (edited by alvee33 2009-06-28 11:48:58)

crevs.1972 wrote:

I seem to be better in G with a capo on the 1st or second, or even third???  C seems ok too.  Saying that is changes every day??

If the song I'm singing is in G then my capo has been known to be on the 5th fret, or even 7th. Which, I guess, means I'm more comfortable in C or D.

As I said, I'm a freak.

**edited to add a second thought**

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hopeful, first off always try with no capo, open this always sounds louder and fuller. Not working? Then just try the first 4 frets. Although you'll eventually know your personal key range there are often surprises in song melodies.

Crevs, if you look at my song sheets you'll find all sorts of capo remarks crossed out and written over. Your voice is a flexible thing, as you sing it loosens up, as you become a regular singer your voice improves/broadens. So it's worth checking old songs to see if your capo position required hasn't changed too. I always check my voice is still on for the capo positions selected before going out for a session.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I am begiining to wonder if I am weird lol!! On checking my songs that I find that I have them in the keys of in A, C, D, E, F, and G. No B, although I did find one in Bb.

I am of the opinion that it is the vocal range of the song that determines the key that I can sing it in.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It's a mysterious business Roger, I recently started working most songs out from a C chord. I have two very similar songs that go C G C G with occasional F at peaks throughout. Yet they are still a fret apart. Pace and attitude most be part of the answer. One song is slower and more aggressive, the other faster and prettier...

I'll post more if I'm ever sure of what I'm up to...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'