Topic: What kind of elec. guitar should i buy?

i hoping to buy a new electric guitar soon.
any suggestions??
(it cant be too expensive)

Re: What kind of elec. guitar should i buy?

I suggest not buying some cheap China-made guitar..sure they are inexpensive but the guitar is really a waste of money. This, I guess, is more of a warning than a suggestion.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

FretShredder wrote:

any suggestions??

Hi FretShredder and welcome to Chordie. My advice to you is this; go to your local music store totally blind to the names painted on the headstock of all guitars. Play all of the guitars within your budgeted amount. Purchase the guitar that sounds and feels the best to you.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

With electrics there are 4 classic options.

The Strat type - light wood body, low powered pickups. Gives a thin, focused sleazy sound. Think Hendrix and Clapton

The Les Paul type - heavy wood body, high power pickups. Gives a fizzing, bass-rich sound. Think 70s heavy rock and metal, like Gary Moore and Jimmy Page.

The Tele type - light body, raw sounding pickups. Gives the classic country sound but also used by Joe Strummer and early Zeppelin.

The Semi 335 type. Like a Les Paul but with some jazzier, bluesier sounds too. Can feedback though...

Doesn't need to say Stratocaster to be a Strat-type, in fact you'll find the best value away from Fender Squier. Check out ESP's PB series modesl offering P-Rails pickups, they're trying to give 3sounds-in-1 there.

Other thing you want to think about is getting an amp that can do plenty of sounds. Something like a Line6 pod for home practice or a Line6 spider amp. Maybe a Zoom multi-effects unit. Classic rock effects is a distortion pedal modified by a Wah pedal, gives you instant rock.

Now hit the shops and see what gets on with you. Don't set your heart on something that looks good on a web-page (like a BC Rich) but will turn out to be uncomfortable to play (like a BC Rich).

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

SouthPaw41L wrote:
FretShredder wrote:

any suggestions??

Hi FretShredder and welcome to Chordie. My advice to you is this; go to your local music store totally blind to the names painted on the headstock of all guitars. Play all of the guitars within your budgeted amount. Purchase the guitar that sounds and feels the best to you.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

I second that. Play as many as you can and don't get caught up in the name game

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Fender Telecaster. Any other questions?

Now available in 5G !

Tele

HI,
I just bought a Ibanez  Hollow body. It works , but i should have bought me a tele instead. Next one will be a  Tele

geoaguiar wrote:
SouthPaw41L wrote:
FretShredder wrote:

any suggestions??

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

I second that. Play as many as you can and don't get caught up in the name game

ditto here,
let your ears, and hands find the best one for you, plug in to the same amp you have or are going to buy too, it makes a difference.