Topic: Harry Patch - The Last Tommy. 1898 - 2009

Harry Patch who served in the First World War made his last journey today as people came from all over the country to attend his funeral service in Wells Cathedral. (Wells is 4-5 miles from me.)

Harry lived to the age of 111 and was a greatly respected figure locally, nationally and internationally - Royalty and Heads of State attended his funeral - and many are saddened at the passing of a quiet, modest man.

The quote that sums up what he endured in the trenches of France is an excerpt from his book - "The Last Fighting Tommy:"

"We came across a lad from A company. He was ripped open from his shoulder to his waist by shrapnel and lying in a pool of blood. When we got to him, he said: 'Shoot me'. He was beyond human help and, before we could draw a revolver, he was dead. And the final word he uttered was 'Mother.' I remember that lad in particular. It's an image that has haunted me all my life, seared into my mind."

Whilst no-one in their right mind could think that war is a good thing, please spend a moment thinking of all the service personnel from all countries who are sent to foreign lands to fight and die without being able to question the validity of what and who they are fighting for.

My deep respect for all those serving.

My deepest respect to Harry who fought in "The War To End All Wars," and my condolences to his family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Patch

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Re: Harry Patch - The Last Tommy. 1898 - 2009

http://www.peacealliancewinnipeg.ca/wp-content/uploads/harry-patch.jpg

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

i will join you in giving condolences to harry's family and friends, the picture shows a man of strength and character, and talent as he's also written his memoirs into a book, intelligence and compassion.

i wont go into politics again, so i'll just say i abhor war, but respect those that take part, as they are better men than i.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I would reflect what Phil said, and send my heart felt thanks and condolences to his family, I'm sure they are very proud of him along with his and other countries.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thanks for replying Phill and Cam.

May I suggest a visit to the Poetry section, Cam? StranSongs "Officers and Men" is an incredibly hard hitting piece of writing and completely pertinent to this thread.

Thanks for clearin' that up KajiMa. I thought the portrait was the latest head shot from Keith Richards..........

Give everything but up.

I dunno, just imho, any of us should be so lucky as to live so long having experienced what Harry did, and be held with such respect and affection by so many.  Wonder what image, if any, haunts our lives, indeed how many of us have an experience that can compare?  Of what are any of us a living symbol?

That war was awful.  Of course, they all are.  But that one in particular was gruesome and brutal.  My own grandfather also served in France at that time.  In one prolonged battle, my grandfather was the only survivor - German or American.  Thinking about that, it occured to me that my grandfather would have had to have prowled the battlefield looking for survivors, and then killing the ones he found that were in the "wrong" uniform.  I cannot imagine after so much bloodshed and violence going about finding the only other remaining people, and then killing them.  Yet, it was that or die because they were trying to do the same thing.  Afterwards, he rummaged what rations he could, picked up his machine gun and as much ammunition as he could carry, and walked to the most recent place he could remember there being Americans.  After a couple of days on his one man retreat from the front, he reached more Americans to give his report.  Once given, he was conscripted into the regiment he found and received orders to report to Verdoun.  No rest after that ordeal.  He was sent to what became the longest, bloodiest, deadliest battle in history.  As a machine-gunner, making him a prime target for the enemy.  He survived that battle too, to come home.  The extent of his aggression from the time he came home to the time he died was aimed at rabbits in his vegetable garden and for some reason Joe Garagiola when he was giving play-by-play of a Yankees or Mets game.  Many times my grandfather would turn off the sound on the TV if Joe Garagiola was doing commentary and flip on the radio to hear "someone who knew how to do play-by-play." 

Anyway, an awful war, carried out by citizen soldiers. 

Something that seems relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJi41RWaTCs 

(Moderator, this is a YouTube link to a professionally recorded public radio performance that to the best of my knowledge carries the permission of the performer/author, John McCutcheon.  If that is insufficient protection, please delete.)

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

9 (edited by arkady 2009-08-07 17:36:42)

It’s to men and women like Harry Patch that we enjoy our existence and freedom..
Who knows what sort of world would have developed without their sense of duty and sacrifice.
RIP Harry Patch and thanks….
ark

I have to thank Zurf for that fabulous link...if you haven't watched it yet...you really should!

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thank you for commenting RestlizSpirit, Zurf and Arkady.

I second what Phill said - Zurf's link is both pertinent to this thread and completely beautiful! And if you haven't, please check out "Officers and Men" by StranSongs in the poetry section!

A sad, sobering thought is that there aren't any more Harrys left. No one can ever again say in person what it was like to survive that war.

Godspeed Harry Patch.
It couldn't have been easy living life after living through the hell of WW1.
Thanks for the link and story Zurf. Great link. That brought out a tear in me. Thanks.
Our local news channel did a short story on Harry. It was very moving and thought provoking.
Heroes one and all.
Now it's off to the poem section for Officers and Men.
Thanks for this JJ

Check yer Email Shortly.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)