Topic: uke suggestions

I play the guitar, but fancy trying the uke. What type/make should I start with & what should I spend for a decent one? Am in the UK.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Re: uke suggestions

It really all depends on the sound you want... A tenor, soprano, or concert size will give you more of the traditional uke sound. However, a baritone uke is a really great crossover instrument! It has the same tuning as the guitar (DGBE) and therefore the same fingerings, so It's easy to pick up and start playing right away! It can also be restrung and tuned to GCEA tuning for the more traditional uke voice... For a first venture I'd probably go with a baritone. That way you know you'll get some use out of it, even if you never get around to learning all the new fingerings. smile  I have to say ,though, that there is just something about strumming the smaller tenor or soprano ukes... It's impossible not to smile while doing so smile
  Money-     A good beginner uke (depending on style/size) will probably be in the neighborhood of 75-100 bucks.. If you can play them first you can buy cheaper and still come out okay... The problem with cheaper ukes is consistency. There is no truss rod so the neck angle has to be right and set solid for it to last, play well, or sound decent... So buying a $40-50 uke online can be risky... But if you want to do it, check for a return policy just in case.
  Brands-    Here are a few that I've had good experiences with in that price range. Kala, Lanikai, Oscar Schmidt, and Hilo. Amigo, would be a good brand to look into as well! They are a cheaper company but all I hear are good reviews from the uke forums. They have solid topped models starting at around $60 bucks!  I've never tried them but Tops has a Fender that looks cool!
I'd also suggest picking up some quality strings. They make a world of difference on a uke!  Aquila's or Worth strings would be a good choice (IMO)....

You won't regret the uke venture smile They're a real joy! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

...even if you never get around to learning all the new fingerings. smile

Actually, the Uke uses the same intervals for the strings, so the chord shapes don't change, they just have a new name. A "D" chord shape on a traditional guitar becomes a "G" chord on a soprano/concert/tenor Uke. It does take a little getting used to having only the four highest pitched strings to work with (a traditional guitar "G" becomes a "C", but you only use one finger!) but the basics are all uniform between the instruments, you are merely transposing the chord names to match the uke's tuning.

Guitar: E A D G B E (Intervals low to high: 4-4-4-3-4)

Ukeulele: X X G C E A (X-X-4-3-4)

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

normtheguitar wrote:

I play the guitar, but fancy trying the uke. What type/make should I start with & what should I spend for a decent one? Am in the UK.

Hi Norm

I bought a Uke a few years ago for the same reason. I just felt like trying it.

I love my Uke. I bought it from E bay for £12. Not too dear but it was something to start with. I now want a better one but the one I have is still good enough to play and to learn on.

go for it and ignore anyone that laughs at it or says it is a toy. I have had loads of comments like that but I am good at ignoring the negativity surrounding the Uke, if ye like it, ye like it if you dont, you dont.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

p.s.
if you do get one or anyone else, you will have to be patient for a while until it settles. I was forever tuning and retuning for a week or so.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

The uke is my primary instrument.  I played with the guitar years ago but gave it up when children arrived.  I love my ukes and I have one of each size except the concert.  I even have a banjo uke.  You may want to attend a uke club meeting if there's one in your area.  People at my club usually bring more than one so you'd probably be able to check out various sizes.  They're tuned the same except the baritone.  The baritone is tuned like the first 4 string of a guitar.  Baritones really don't sound like ukes, they sound like small guitars, IMHO.

I pretty much agree with Guitarpix's comments.  I'd suggest spending as much as you feel you could afford up to about $200 US.  You can get good ukes for about $140 and adequate ukes for about $60.  Cheap ukes are like cheap anything else, discouraging.

Funny thing.  It seems the folks in their 40's and 50's are more generally critical of the uke.  Older folks and younger adults seem to embrace them more readily.

Thanks to all of you for the great advice & information. Have looked in a couple of local music shops, but there's not much to choose from, so it may have to be a mail order job!
There is also some good advice on a website called Ukulele Hunt (I think I got this from a Southpaw post). Strange name for a website, I thought, until I saw that there is a local band called Uke Hunt (say it out loud!!!). Oh dear.
ukulelehunt.com is the website (not the band).

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

ukuleleunderground.com
another fine site with live and video lessons by Aldrine Guerreo.
wild Island folks with nice and informative forums as well. I am a dinosaur ( toaster ovens & moon landings ) and started playing the uke a year ago/ as good as sex more addictve  than heroin! spend the twenty bucks or so amd by the digital tuner worth its weight in gold esp with the less expensive models of uke (imho).

"We see what we want to see and we hear what we want to hear."
  the rockman