Topic: Innocence panel will hear convicted killer

This guy was a good friend in High School. Not a violent bone in his body. Got messed up with crack cocaine before I even knew what that was. Was partying downtown (in an apparently not so good neighborhood), got his truck stuck in the mud. The next morning, his wife drives him there to get his truck and there is a dead prostitute in the lot. He's been in prison for over 16 years for a crime that I don't think even he knows if he committed. Don't do drugs kids.

Greg (Tator), I hope justice is served and if your are innocent (as I believe you are) you finally get out.

RALEIGH - A Cary man convicted of murder 16 years ago may have a chance at freedom.

Gregory Flint Taylor, now 47, will have a hearing Sept. 3 and 4 in front of the state's Innocence Inquiry Commission. The panel was formed two years ago to investigate imprisoned convicts' claims of innocence. Taylor's case will be the third heard by the eight-person panel.

A jury convicted Taylor in April 1993 of first-degree murder for the killing of Jacquetta "Jackie" Thomas, a prostitute found dead Sept. 26, 1991, in the middle of a South Blount Street cul-de-sac. She had been struck on the head and neck with a blunt object and her underpants were around her ankles.

Taylor, serving a life sentence for his conviction, maintains that he is innocent.

Wake prosecutor Tom Ford, who is still employed in the Wake District Attorney's Office, argued during the 1993 trial that Taylor and another man, Johnny Beck, had partied with Thomas the night she was killed. A jailhouse witness also told jurors that Taylor talked about Thomas' death while in jail after his arrest, according to news archives of the trial.

Taylor maintained that his vehicle, which was found near Thomas' body, had gotten stuck there after a night of four-wheeling. He said that he had nothing to do with Thomas nor had he encountered her that night.

A substance thought to be blood at the time was found on the fender of the truck. The substance was never tested to confirm that it was blood, according to motions filed by the Innocence Inquiry Commission staff.

In addition, semen found on Thomas' underpants did not match DNA samples recently provided by Taylor or Beck, according to an affidavit by Sharon Stellato, an investigator with the Innocence Commission. Court records show that investigators have collected DNA samples from Thomas' former boyfriend.

Murder charges filed against Beck in Thomas' death were dismissed by Ford four months after Taylor's conviction and never reinstated. Ford had offered to try to reduce Taylor's sentence if he would testify against Beck, according to court records and news accounts of the murder case.

After his release, Beck said he was wrongly arrested.

Taylor has been imprisoned since his 1993 conviction, his appeals so far unsuccessful.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Innocence panel will hear convicted killer

Hey Topdown!

I hope your friend's innocence, if it is, as you suspect, real, it becomes proved and his release is secured!

You can't compensate for taking 16 years of someone's life from them, but if you could, what would be fair? If it was 10 million per year of imprisonment maybe a system that allows a poor innocent person to go to prison and a rich guilty person to retain their freedom would be revamped. If payments were such that it was economically untennable to convict an innocent person, would that scenario occur?

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Wow.  I hope justice prevails.  Sounds like this guy, at least, is legitimate and if so I hope he is freed. 

Didn't even test the substance they thought was blood to see whether it was blood or that it belonged to the victim.  Amazing.  Look, I know that CSI on TV is bullsnot nonsense, but it does seem that there ought to be SOMETHING that would have connected the victim to the man jailed aside from the proximity of his vehicle. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Doesn't seem like they had much evidence to convict him. It's sad because this has been happening a lot lately.
Selso

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

It is mind boggling to me that in this day and age, they simply don't just check the DNA as part of the investigation.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Let me get this straight;

-Taylor was arrested and remains in prison mainly from testimony from a "jailhouse witness."
-A substance thought to be blood appeared on Taylors' vehicle yet said substance was never tested.
-DNA samples taken from the semen on the alledged "prostitute" did not match the DNA of  Taylor or Beck.
-The fact that Taylor and Beck were detained is unbelievable, muchless 16 years spent in prison for gross negligence on behalf of the local police and/or others investigating this horrific crime.
-This sounds extremely questionable from what I've seen and heard thus far.

Jeff, have you remained in contact with Mr. Taylor?

Give everything but up.

^ Toney, no I lost contact with "Tator" when I moved to Florida, and the alleged crime took place when I was down there. Another friend corresponded with him for a few years, but eventually even that dropped off. Greg has always maintained his innocence, but honestly he was hanging with a rough crowd and was apparently really partying hard that night.

What has always gotten me was - he drove right up to the lot in the morning with his wife to get his truck while the cops were there! If he were involved in any way, Greg was certainly smart enough to avoid the crime scene.

I spent most of my day today watching this hearing on-line. Very interesting. No physical evidence ties my buddy (Greg) to the scene. The blood on his bumper (which was a large part of the original prosecutions case) could not even be determined to be human blood. I missed the last part of the day's testimony and apparently that was the real shocker - someone else has apparently confessed to the murder!

Inmate confessed to woman's murder
By Sarah Ovaska, Staff writer
RALEIGH - RALEIGH -- A state prison inmate has confessed to killing the woman that Gregory Taylor was given a life sentence for murdering, a conviction that sent the Cary man to prison for the past 16 years, staff of the N.C. Innocence Inquiry Commission revealed late Thursday.

The other inmate, Craig H. Taylor, 40, who isn't related, has been imprisoned at Lumberton Correctional Institution for the past six years on a habitual felon conviction, according to state prison records. He is also a convicted drug dealer who was living in Raleigh at the time of victim Jacquetta Thomas' death, a commission staff investigator said.

During an interview with commission investigators, Craig Taylor burst into tears, asking them what would happen if he confessed to Thomas' murder.

Gregory Taylor, 47, has steadily maintained his innocence while serving the life sentence for Thomas' murder.

The revelation came near the end of the first of a two-day hearing by an eight-person panel of the commission, meeting to consider Taylor's claim that someone else stabbed and beat Thomas to death in Raleigh in the early morning hours of Sept. 26, 1991.

topdown wrote:

I spent most of my day today watching this hearing on-line. Very interesting. No physical evidence ties my buddy (Greg) to the scene. The blood on his bumper (which was a large part of the original prosecutions case) could not even be determined to be human blood. I missed the last part of the day's testimony and apparently that was the real shocker - someone else has apparently confessed to the murder!

Inmate confessed to woman's murder
By Sarah Ovaska, Staff writer
RALEIGH - RALEIGH -- A state prison inmate has confessed to killing the woman that Gregory Taylor was given a life sentence for murdering, a conviction that sent the Cary man to prison for the past 16 years, staff of the N.C. Innocence Inquiry Commission revealed late Thursday.

The other inmate, Craig H. Taylor, 40, who isn't related, has been imprisoned at Lumberton Correctional Institution for the past six years on a habitual felon conviction, according to state prison records. He is also a convicted drug dealer who was living in Raleigh at the time of victim Jacquetta Thomas' death, a commission staff investigator said.

During an interview with commission investigators, Craig Taylor burst into tears, asking them what would happen if he confessed to Thomas' murder.

Gregory Taylor, 47, has steadily maintained his innocence while serving the life sentence for Thomas' murder.

The revelation came near the end of the first of a two-day hearing by an eight-person panel of the commission, meeting to consider Taylor's claim that someone else stabbed and beat Thomas to death in Raleigh in the early morning hours of Sept. 26, 1991.

I've never been one of those " I'm-uh-sue-yer-arse" types but in this case I'd proudly be whistlin' a different tune.
I would joyously volunteer my services, free of charge, if at all possible, to perform at Gregory Taylors' "freedom party"!!!!

Seriously....

Give everything but up.

Great news Jeff. big_smile

Takes real guts to fess up to an old crime like this. You just don't hear of that too often.
Kudos to the inmate but a bigger Kudos to Greg for sticking to his guns.

I hope the judicial system does him right for his time spent cause that is something that can't ever be made up.

Cheers

KAP big_smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

So did they set him free?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Apparently the innocence commission is just the first step. Now it goes to a 3 judge panel for a possible new trial. In light of the new evidence / confession, one would hope the DA drops the case and sets Greg free. But it could be several more months.

Panel: Evidence suggests man is innocent
By Mandy Locke, Staff Writer
RALEIGH - Members of the North Carolina Innocence Inquiry Commission agreed unanimously that there's enough evidence to suggest that Gregory Taylor, a Cary man who spent 18 years in prison for a murder he swore he didn't commit, is innocent.

Their decision this evening means Taylor will go before a three-judge panel where Wake prosecutors will have a chance to present their evidence.

Gregory Taylor wept as the commission's staff told him another man confessed to the crime for which he was convicted 18 years ago.

"Are you serious? Thank God," Gregory Taylor said as he covered his hands with his face.

Members of the commission watched the video of Taylor late this afternoon.

The commission spent much of the day hearing admissions from the other man, Craig Taylor, an admitted drug dealer who was obsessed with Jacquetta Thomas in 1991.

In meetings with Sharon Stellato, a commission investigator, Craig Taylor said that he beat her with a bat and stabbed her with a pocket knife. He said he then pulled down her pants and ripped open her blouse to make it appear as if Thomas was sexually assaulted.

Craig Taylor continued his confessions to his mother in a phone conversation from a prison in Lumberton. "That's been on my conscience, and I got to get that cleared," he said. "I can't go to my grave with that...two innocent men going to prison for a crime they didn't commit."

Experts who reviewed the details stated the confession was credible. Details revealed in the confession are consistent with the wounds of the victim.

Ha Topdown!

18 years!?! Doesn't bear thinking about. If there was the death penalty he wouldn't be here AND everyone would look at his memory as that of a murderer.

Yeah! £10,000,000/year should cover it; as I said earlier, if there was a significant financial deterrent to situations like this, maybe everyone from police and investigators up would at least make sure they had an airtight case!

Here's to Tator's immenent release!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

There is no monetary compensation to account for what he's lost and to what he's been subjected.  There is one thing that can help, and help quite a lot.  And that is an apology.  In this case, an apology will probably be as valuable to Tater as compensation he receives.  And he'd better receive quite a lot.  The way the government is throwing money around these days, a whole big sackful of it ought to land on his feet.  I'd never complain once if he got enough tax money to leave the house each morning with a wad big enough to choke a horse and come home each night with empty pockets, just to do it again the next day, even if he lived to be 1,000. 

In the meanwhile, I am eager to see the news that he has taken his first breath of fresh, free air under the sun.  I just hope that he can stay free of his slavery to booze that you mentioned earlier.  Freedom is freedom, and it will be far more valuable to him than any of us who haven't been behind bars can imagine. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I am a friend of Greg Taylor. All of his old friends called him Tater. We've all known for years that he is innocent...sent to prison for life because of false testimony, an eager-to-prosecute DA, and a series of very poor lawyers that represented him. Now it appears as the rest of the world is hearing the truth.

Greg always was an intelligent, big-hearted guy that could quickly make friends with anyone, and would do anything he could for anyone whether he knew them or not. Needless to say his family & friends want him released.

If you would like to keep up with the latest on Greg, here is a link to a Blog set up by his brother Eddy. Feel free to sign up as a Follower on the blog.

http://freegregtaylor.blogspot.com/

Greg has always been a huge music fan and not long before went to prison he had bought a new Stratocaster and was learning to play.  Let's all hope & pray that he will be released soon so he can get back to the family, friends, & life he loved.

Darren Riley - Raleigh NC

Thanks for the link Darren. I've been searching for news regularly and the blog will make it much easier. I'm going to shoot you an email - your name doesn't sound familiar, but we may have some mutual friends.

Good article in today's paper.

Prisoner awaits decision on release

BY MANDY LOCKE - Staff Writer

SMITHFIELD -- Greg Taylor has a head for numbers.

He'll tell you exactly how many Budweisers he had on Sept. 25, 1991, the night he drove into Southeast Raleigh looking for drugs to keep his night going. He knows he's read more than 800 books in the years the state has kept him locked up for murder. And, by his reckoning, today is the 6,003rd day he will spend in prison for a crime he has insisted from the beginning he never committed.

Matters of the heart are tougher for Taylor. Mention Kristen, the daughter he had to abandon as a child, and he buckles in sobs. Ask him about the battle his sister lost with cancer in 2006, Taylor will shake his head and mutter that he should have been there. Ask him how he feels about the guy who has now confessed to murdering Jacquetta Thomas, Taylor is practically speechless.

"It just never occurs to you that an innocent person could get dragged into something like this," Taylor said Saturday in his first interview since the N.C. Innocence Inquiry Commission voted unanimously this month that he is innocent.

Taylor waits now, still a prisoner as his case moves to a three-judge panel to be convened by the chief justice of the State Supreme Court. Wake County District Attorney Colon Willoughby can either contest Taylor's request to be exonerated or petition the court to vacate his sentence before the panel convenes.

The delay is agonizing for Taylor and his family. It's also frustrating for Thomas' family.

"I hate it's taking even one more day," said Yolanda Littlejohn, Thomas' sister. Littlejohn said she has always thought Taylor was innocent, and after sitting through the commission's hearing, she is pained by Taylor's misfortune. "You don't keep a man locked up because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Taylor is a measured, calm man who settled into his captivity. He accepted the gifts of imprisonment -- sobriety and reflection -- and tried to make peace with its insults.

"Anger's out the door a long time ago," Taylor said. "You can't survive for any length of time on bitterness and blame."

Reading and learning became his salvation. He earned two associates degrees in prison and became a teaching assistant for community college professors who teach inside the prison. At Johnston Correctional Institution, Taylor manages the library, linking other inmates with authors he thinks they will like.

Taylor's arrest stemmed from a night of bad luck and bad choices. The night Jacquetta Thomas was murdered, Taylor said, he had ventured into Southeast Raleigh, trolling for crack. He and Johnny Beck, a local he'd befriended months before, pulled into a dark, muddy path to smoke, he said.

Taylor said they saw Thomas' body, stripped, beaten and stabbed. Taylor asked Beck if they should call for help. Beck urged him to forget about it and move along. Taylor's truck got stuck in the mud up the path from Thomas' body; he left it there. Police immediately considered him a suspect.

Taylor figured he would quickly straighten things out. He endured two interrogations. He turned over his clothes and pocket knives. When police asked for his hair to do a DNA test, he couldn't rip it out fast enough.

"At any given time, there were a hundred things we could have done differently if we were guilty," Taylor said.

By day's end, Taylor was locked up in the Wake County jail.

"It's so frustrating to go up against all these people," Taylor said. "They have all this power. You have the truth, but they refuse to look at it."

A jury convicted him based on a jailhouse snitch's testimony and vague statements by a prostitute. Over the next decade, county, state and federal judges would block every attempt to undo his conviction.

Daughter lost hope

Kristen Puryear spent her entire childhood thinking police were bad.

"They took my daddy," says Puryear, 26.

As a girl, she couldn't understand why her dad was out that night or why police thought the man who read her stories was a murderer.

One day she got home from school, and her dad was gone for good. For Christmas that year, her grandmother brought her a gold cross from her father. She's worn it every day since, and pinned it under her wedding dress as a substitute for her father's escort.

Taylor missed Kristen's prom, her birthdays, her high school and college graduations. He missed her wedding, too, and the birth of her son, Charles.

"I had lost hope he would get out," said Puryear. "No one would listen."

When she visited her father, they talked about her studies at Virginia Tech, her new house, her husband. Last year, he held his grandson, leaning across the visitor's table to take the sleeping baby from his daughter.

These days, their conversations have switched to talking about the adventures they'll have when and if Taylor is free. Kristen is eager to take him to a Virginia Tech football game. She's planning to cook a feast for his first meal as a free man.

Taylor prepares, too. He flips through his certificates and diplomas, wondering which might help him land a job. He scans the shelves in the prison library, wondering if there's a book to help him get ready for this transition.

He's not sure how to begin again. He is almost the age his parents were when he went into prison.

"I don't know what 47 is, I only know what 31 is," Taylor said. "I think I want to go home and be invisible for a while."

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local_ … 13985.html

That's great news.  I hope things start to move faster.  I am so eager for him to get out and walk a trail and look out over a vista to see some hawks looking for prey over a field or to dip his feet into a stream and take a deep breath while watching the turtles, or to eat that enormous meal his daughter wants to cook for him. 

- Zurf

That's great but at the same time so sad and tragic. What courage and grace to let that anger go...God Bless him. The world owes him so good fortune

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Ok... I am female and perhaps a little hormonal... but damn that made me get all teary,

"I don't know what 47 is, I only know what 31 is," Taylor said. "I think I want to go home and be invisible for a while."

I don't think there's one of us here that can possibly fathom what this guy is going through... GOD Bless him and his family!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

21 (edited by KAP54 2009-09-25 09:04:47)

I can only hope that the media lets him be invisible for awhile. He deserves the respect and dignity owed to him and his family.

Enjoy your first home cooked meal in too long a time Mr.Taylor.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

My offer still stands. I had one of my better paying weeks of my 26 years of doing this music thang on a professional level. I put a little chunk away to keep my word. I'm serious about playing some tunes, totally free of any expense on this musicians' behalf, when "Tater "( Mr. Greg Taylor) is finally free.

Words can't express the sorrow, anger, frustration, and total bewilderment that  I, and I'm sure many others feel for this brave survivor. I just wanna be there when Mr. Taylors' freedom is celebrated, somehow, someway......

Sincerely,
SouthPaw41L( Toney Hall)

Jeff( topdown)-please continue to keep us all posted. I need a few months in advance to alter my schedule. Thanks for your heads up on this this matter. You're a good man! Greg" Tater" Taylor deserves a grand welcoming home, right? Hail yes!!!!!

Give everything but up.

Toney - (I just returned from a weekend getaway trip to the mountains, sorry for the delayed response). That is an awesome offer, but hopefully one that will not come to fruition. Not that it wouldn't be great to have you, but the hope is that one day soon, the DA (after reviewing the overwhelming evidence) will vacate the charges and Greg will be set free. As I understand it, if this happens, there will be virtually no notice. If the case does go to the "three judge panel", there is no telling how long that could take. I will certainly keep this thread updated with any news.

I received the below email from Eddy Taylor (Greg's brother) on Friday that I though I would share. I had written an email to the DA imploring him to release Tater and posted the email address on his blog. Apparently that was frowned upon by the attorney.

Hi Jeff
I asked an attorney about the email address and they said it was best to not to post the information. I took the addresses off the board. Thank you for jumping in for the cause . It's people like you that are making the difference in Greg's case. I'll be posting tonight about a gathering at the courthouse downtown. Let people know to come on out if you talk to any one from Raleigh.
BTW I've had several people ask me about the Chordie Forum. The site comes up on google and when you make a new post it comes right up to the front of the list. The comments are great. Keep it going.
Thanks
Eddy

I  too have been following this mans plight here on chordie.

"Anger's out the door a long time ago," Taylor said. "You can't survive for any length of time on bitterness and blame."

He may be still  physically incarcerated, his mind  definitely is not with a statement like this. I will continue to pray for this man and his freedom.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi Jeff,

I understand, I think it's a big croc of manure, but I get it. Almost everytime I play out,  I play Bob Dylans' " I Shall Be Released" and dedicate it to Greg " Tater" Taylor. I don't go into details about the case but the song seems very appropriate to the situation at hand.

Anything new ?

Hope all's well with you and yours,
Toney

Give everything but up.