Topic: Subterranean Homesick Blues / You're Bob Dylan?

What's your name? ... Bob Dylan....  too funny

You're Bob Dylan? US police want to see some ID

By WAYNE PARRY, Associated Press Writer Wayne Parry, Associated Press Writer Fri Aug 14, 6:33 pm ET

Rock legend Bob Dylan was treated like a complete unknown by police in a New Jersey shore community when a resident called to report someone wandering around the neighborhood.

Dylan was in Long Branch, about a two-hour drive south of New York City, on July 23 as part of a tour with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp that was to play at a baseball stadium.

A 24-year-old police officer apparently was unaware of who Dylan is and asked him for identification, Long Branch business administrator Howard Woolley said Friday.

"I don't think she was familiar with his entire body of work," Woolley said.

The incident began at 5 p.m. (2100 GMT) when a resident said a man was wandering around a low-income, predominantly minority neighborhood several blocks from the oceanfront looking at houses.

The police officer drove up to Dylan, who was wearing a blue jacket, and asked him his name. According to Woolley, the following exchange ensued:

"What is your name, sir?" the officer asked.

"Bob Dylan," Dylan said.

"OK, what are you doing here?" the officer asked.

"I'm on tour," the singer replied.

A second officer, also in his 20s, responded to assist the first officer. He, too, apparently was unfamiliar with Dylan, Woolley said.

The officers asked Dylan for identification. The singer of such classics as "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Blowin' in the Wind" said that he didn't have any ID with him, that he was just walking around looking at houses to pass some time before that night's show.

The officers asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them back to the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, where the performers were staying. Once there, tour staff vouched for Dylan.

The officers thanked him for his cooperation.

"He couldn't have been any nicer to them," Woolley added.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090814/ap_ … _bob_dylan

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Subterranean Homesick Blues / You're Bob Dylan?

That's a hoot, thanks for sharing it.

oh the times are a changin....lol

wow that is really something!!,I guess you really can not expect some of the younger generation to reconize an american music icon. Thanks for sharing that with us.     dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

thats a good story. I wonder if Dylan thought he was getting out of touch with the younger generation.

This story reminds me of another case of not knowing who someone was.

The band "Wet Wet Wet" that had hits like sweet little mystery, julia says, love is all around and many more, they come from Clydebank where I was born and bred and raised.
They were trying to get in a club above the Cameron House pub in Hardgate around the first time of their first single. the Bouncer at the door was refusing them entry. I think because there was a small crowd of them, the 4 members of the band and a few roadies. Marti Pellow the lead singer said to the bouncer
" Do you know who we are? we are Wet Wet Wet"
The bouncer replied " I dont care if yer soaky soaky soaky, yer not getting in"

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Long Branch NJ, eh?
Wonder if those cops would've recognized Bruce if he was out for a walk.
Or just hanging around the parking lot of shady strip club.
Too funny.

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650