Topic: String Gauge

I've been using Martin Lights because thats what the guy in the shop recommended the first time I bought some (I did try the Elixr Nanoweb but I didn't like the greasy feel to them).

Anyway, what are the pro's and con's of extra light, light or medium?  I'm a pretty light strummer, I tend not to pick that much, I just like a warm clear tone.

I'm happy with the Martins it's just the gauge I'm curious about!

Cheers

PS I have a Epiphone EJ 200 if thats relevant

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: String Gauge

Your acoustic is probably "set up" for whatever they recommended. I wouldn't switch to mediums without having your acoustic set up again. The differences are pretty straightforward: extra/lights are easier to play but not quite as full sounding as mediums

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

If I am correct your EJ-200 is the Epiphone copy of the Gibson classic J-200 - you should be using the Gibson J-200 proprietary strings.
They are purpose built for that size of guitar - and play to the bass characteristics of it's tone.
Compare with the stock strings, and ask around.
You will probably want to invest in a set up if the gauge is different than what is on there now - you don't want to hurt your sweet Jumbo!

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

4 (edited by dino48 2009-09-09 03:24:11)

Hello crevs.1972 , I used too only use light strings but after a year or so I could tell I was not getting enough sound, I asked  a few people at the local music store and the told me too try some mediums and heavy,I tried both and I came out satisfied with the mediums. I guess it is up too the individual. I also never had too get my guitar re done for them but you might want too ask the dealer.martins are nice strings but I am on a budget so I use d"addarios,they are really good for the price. If you are just doing light strumming I think you should check out some medium guage strings.        dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The lighter the string gauge, the easier to press them down but also the softer and tinnier the tone.  You will generally not get good rich sound or the sweet low-end that a dreadnaught can play with ultralights. 

I usually use lights.  I like the sound of mediums better, but my fingers lack the strength to do hammer-ons with medium strings. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I use Ernie Ball  coated mediums but they do have a non coated medium light that is heavy on the bass and lighter on the treble. The guages are 11-54 i think. I have used them before and loved them but the shop i use don't carry them in stock. I think these will suit your playing style well and make your jumbo sound great.