Topic: Heads are bent in sorrow, green scales fall like rain.

RIP Mary

September 16, 2009, 9:18 pm

Mary Travers Of Peter, Paul and Mary Dies
By The New York Times

Mary Travers, whose ringing, earnest vocals with the folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary made songs like “Blowin’ in the Wind,"  “If I Had a Hammer"  and “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?"  enduring anthems of the 1960s protest movement, died Wednesday night in Danbury Hospital in Connecticut. She was 72 and had lived in Redding, Conn.

The cause was cancer, said her spokeswoman, Heather Lylis.

Ms. Travers brought a powerful voice and an unfeigned urgency to music that resonated with mainstream listeners. With her straight blond hair and willowy figure and two bearded guitar players by her side, she looked exactly like what she was, a Greenwich Villager straight from the clubs and the coffee houses that nourished the folk-music revival.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Heads are bent in sorrow, green scales fall like rain.

Hi topdown,thank you for posting this I watch alot of news and I did not here a word on her death,I am really sorry too here she passed on as I really enjoyed her and the whole group they had some great songs.        dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sad news I remember when Peter Paul and Mary first came out and gave us a lot of wonderful songs RIP Mary thanks for letting us know top.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

What a wonderful voice that lady had and so beautiful.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

I am devastated.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

May she rest in peace and the good Lord have mercy on her soul. 

That was a trio not only in music, but in life.  They seemed to genuinely enjoy making music together. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I, also had not heard that.  Thanks for sharing.  She was a very important part of the group.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

This song has been covered by thousands, and I think this is one fantastic cover that I hear playing in my head when I play it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OCnHNk2Hac

Later, Wayne P

9 (edited by selso 2009-09-17 16:10:44)

After watching the news for a good hour and a half, finally they did a 15 to 20 second segment on her. This is very sad. Michael Jackson got almost month long coverage and she gets 15 seconds? What the !@#$%^&*!  is that. I just dont get it. May she rest in peace.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

If you check out the video , notice that the guitars are unplugged and how great the audio is on this and how good the resolution is also.

Later, Wayne P

That's an excellent video, wlbaye.  Thanks for sharing.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

That was a cool vid. Thanks wlbaye

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Wilbaye,

Thanks for the melancholy trip. She was fantastic. If i had a euro for all the times i sang "Blowin in the wind" with our group
Late sixties into the seventies id be a richer woman. The very first chord played, Takes me back to times and smells of small
clubs and other venues we played. I still say "we had the best 12 string guitar player in our group. He was and still is brilliant.

I should have married him and sailed to america when he asked me lol I wonder how different my live would have been ?Were still great budddies.
We makes our choices ! lol

Slán  Mary, May God enfold you in the music mantle of his love.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks for this Topdown,

What I remember of Peter, Paul and Mary was not only the wonderful harmonizing along with Marys voice, but more that it showed me at a young age that there are different styles of music to admire and listen to other then mainstream music.
RIP Mary
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)