Topic: EXP vs Elixirs

Just wondering who has played both and what your opinions are..... 
I've been using elixirs for the last 18 months or so but just bought a bulk set of EXPs to try out. Hopefully they'll work well as I've got 17 packs on the way smile I'll offer up my views when they get here Tuesday.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: EXP vs Elixirs

Heya Pix,

I think you will find some guitars they sound better on than others, my Yairi sounds good with both elixirs and EXP'S  . I honestly think tho the EXP's have a little more clarity and maybe a bit brighter. On the HD-28 I don't use Elixirs. I put a set on and didn't like them and I have tried Exp's also but I think it sounds best with Martin SP strings. On my Masterbilt Epi it likes both elixers and exp's.

I honestly can't tell you what are the best between the two. I am speaking for the Elixir Polywebs and I do not like the Nano-web

the polywebs start fraying but they last a long time even tho they look bad, I have a set of EXP"S on my Yairi and I just did recording using a pedal into Audacity and it was really nice and clean.

Later, Wayne P

Thanks Wayne!
How about longevity? Did they last about the same?
I agree with Martins not liking elixirs. I tried them on my D18 and quickly went back to SP mediums.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Kinda weird with the Martins isn't it i have tried Elixir, EXP's, Gibson, and others but it likes Martin SP strings. I have had the exp's on my Yairi for quite a while, I am thinking about 2 month's but it hasn't been played alot . I was just thrilled with the recording I did today, I'm learning a little more all the time. Today was the first time I have ever recorded any of my guitars that I thought sounded good, some of it is the Yairi electronics and some of it  the strings.

Yairi's are a very special breed, I am lovin that guitar more all the time. I put a B-Band pickup in the epiphone and with a new set of Exp's I am gonna do some recording and see how it stacks up. I have a LR Baggs I-Beam pickup  in my Martin and the only way to record it is with a condensor mic.The pickup seems to work ok live through  amp or PA but records terrible with the pickup

Let me know your thoughts on the EXP"s after you give them a go, I only tried the nano-webs one time on the Yairi and I took em off and threw them in the garbage. Now after trying so many strings and seeing how different guitars react to different strings I should have tried them on something else.

The reason I have been doing alot of recording, I like to hear my guitar from a listener's perspective. It seems the guitar always sounds different when your out in front of the soundhole, and it's hard to be there when your playing it.

Later, Wayne P

I've always sung the praises of Elixir Nanos. I recently bought EXP's for my electrics and I'm kind of liking them.....Nanos don't seem to lkast as long as they used to ot maybe I'm just playing more. My complaint is mostly price. You can get some swinging deals on multi packs but never with Elixir. I might be switching. On the elctrics, I think EXP's sound better.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

wlbaye wrote:

The reason I have been doing alot of recording, I like to hear my guitar from a listener's perspective. It seems the guitar always sounds different when your out in front of the soundhole, and it's hard to be there when your playing it.

If you have an older "beater" I'd highly recommend you try a soundport on one and see how you like it. It will give you the listeners perspective all the time smile I'm a die hard believer in them and all my acoustics either have them or are scheduled to get them once I decide on a design. Everyone that has tried mine has asked why all guitars don't have them and I've installed several for others already. As with all newer projects, It's intimidating at first ,cutting a hole in your guitar, but the benefits far outweigh the risks IMO. -Pix

You're right geo, The exps are definitely a bit cheaper! I got 17 sets coming to me for $75 bucks!  Nano light pbs have been my choice string. I move all over the neck and love the quietness of the Nanos during slides and such. Hopefully the EXPs will have close to the same feel. I haven't noticed a drop in longevity with them though, I still get 2-3 months from a set of Nanos and I play 3-4 hours everyday & more on weekends. -Pix

I know what your saying about the soundholes,  I good test on acoustic electric guitars like the Yairi and Takamine that have the electronics mounted on the top of the guitar. I have taken the whole electronics box out and play with out it and it is a huge difference. I am not ready to cut a hole in my martin yet tho.
If people have sat 10' in front of someone else playing their guitar I am sure they have been surprised how full the sound is. That;s the sound I have been trying to capture with recordings.

17 sets for $75. is a steal, I hope you sleep ok smile

Later, Wayne P

Yea Wayne, That's a good preview of a soundport. However, The electronics hole is (usually) squared and for proper porting it is recommended to use curved ports for best results. Also the size of the port in relation to body size is important and most electronic boxes have larger holes than what would be recommended for a sound port. So you get an idea with them removed but it's not real accurate comparison to a properly installed port. I'm not sure how much of a difference you would hear between the 2. Just repeating what I read up on... I'd thing too large a hole would have a pretty adverse affect though... You'd loose too much air pressure and tone and projection would suffer.

All your recordings I've heard have sounded superb!

Well I got the EXP's in yesterday and put a set on my antique cedar topped Yairi. I don't hear a big difference in tone but I do hear a small increase in overtones or harmonics which I like because I use this guitar mainly for fingerstyle play. However, I don't care much for the playability of the strings... The are a stiffer string (takes more tension to tune to pitch) ,which probably causes the increase in overtones, but they don't fret or bend (vibrato) as well as the elixirs of comparable gauges. They are also a fairly noisy string... I get a lot of finger squeak when sliding up and down the fretboard. Not as much as some uncoated strings but easily twice as much noise as I get from elixirs. I'd probably prefer the EXP's if I played more "cowboy chords" (open position chords) but I very seldom play them with my style of play. I play almost wholly in barre with a lot of little lead runs and ,for my style, I will probably be going back to elixirs once these are gone... Over all, A great string with excellent tone but too noisy for me.. YMMV -Pix

Pix don't throw them away, my cowboy chords would love them smile

Do you use Nano or Poly Elixirs ?

Later, Wayne P

Hey Wayne, Yea I won't be throwing them away smile  Absolutely no offense meant to anyone by "cowboy chords" it's just a difference in playing style.. If I played open more, I would have heavier callouses and probably not as much noise when I slide.   Maybe these will toughen my finger tips a little and the problem will subside smile I've been spoiled the last couple of years by the soft feel and smoothness of the elixirs wink

I use Nano PB (phospher bronze) light or medium/lights usually.... I have one guit that prefers the 80/20's though.

Just Kiddin ya Pix,

I never have liked the nano webs, I've been using the polywebs for 10 yrs and really like them. I would buy them by the 10 pack and they were only about $10. but you can't find them for that anymore.
I am just recording a song that I slide up from the open position to a barred B-7 and it sounds kinda cool with the EXP"s but I know what you mean if your doing all barre chords noisy strings don't sound good. I've gotta go practice some more Cowboy Chords smile

Later, Wayne P