1 (edited by Syd1994 2009-10-18 23:49:53)

Topic: Sex Pistols

So what do you guys think of them?
I just bought a sex pistols tape for 52 cents and as I was listening to it i wondered what people on chordie have to say about them.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

Re: Sex Pistols

I love the sex pistols.
I know how crap they really were, but ye got to love them for what Malcom Mclaren had done to the music industry with them.
Their anti establishment music really meant a lot in the 70's  in Britain. I just cannot understand why they were not welcomed with open arms to the U.S.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Love em! Theres a lot of stories surrounding them. Lots of books. Steve Jones says he didn't play guitar on the album. Says he doesn't even know where the studio is which makes you wonder who did. The guitar seems like simple power chords in most of thier songs but there are subtle fills all over the place. Check out Steve Tones on you tube.

i really like them, i bought their album on cd and the playing isnt brilliant, i can play the basss to most of the songs and im a guitarist but youve got the love the rebellion
its now one of my favourite album and is never far from my cd player
its a shame british punk has died, john lydon is now doing butter adverts so maybe punk is dead
still, im 14 and trying to carry the spirit of punk

the secret to happiness is contained in a guitar

5 (edited by Syd1994 2009-10-18 23:48:28)

megs1995 wrote:

i really like them, i bought their album on cd and the playing isnt brilliant, i can play the basss to most of the songs and im a guitarist but youve got the love the rebellion
its a shame british punk has died, john lydon is now doing butter adverts so maybe punk is dead

really? butter adverts? I can't believe it!
do you think you could provide a link or something?

6 (edited by Syd1994 2009-10-18 23:53:01)

Syd1994 wrote:
megs1995 wrote:

really? butter adverts? I can't believe it!
do you think you could provide a link or something?

Nevermind. I just looked it up on youtube and I died a little inside.

here it is~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mSE-Iy_tFY

Can't believe we're talking about the quality of playing on a sex pistols record. Surely the whole point of punk was that YOU could do it, I could do it. ANYONE could do it! The music scene at the time had been bogged down with tha same old people doing the same old things and saying nothing in the process. And then along came punk and said - hold on, I can do that, I have something to say; you have something to say? then get out and say it.

Got to agree about the butter adverts though. But then, John always does exactly what he wants.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I think if anyone punk or not got offered a lot of money to do an advert they would.
It should not be seen as " selling out"

He is bringing back P.I.L for a reunion this year or next.

KEn

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending