Topic: Beginner class ideas..

Well I just got off the phone with the pastor from a local church. They have 10-12 people (probably more once the classes get started) interested in learning guitar and he wants me to start offering a group class on Saturdays at the church. I've taught private (one on one) lessons for about 6 months now but this is going to be my first group class. If anyone here teachs groups or have learned in a group, I'd like to hear your class routine. This is going to be different from what I'm used to and I'm looking for ideas to get the most info across to a group. Also If anyone has any good (basic) church songs they'd like to recommend, I'd be thankful. The only one I know is "Amazing Grace" and the preacher would prefer it if I stick to religous content... From what I understand the majority of the class is absolute beginners... Thanks in advance for any tips! I'm trying to get my lesson plans in order for this Saturday smile -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

2 (edited by mekidsmom 2009-10-27 13:12:48)

Re: Beginner class ideas..

This is one that we sang in youth group a lot when I was going to a non-denominational church... there's not too much to it, but nice and fairly "easy" chords (after a few classes):  http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url= … ranspose=0

Here's how it sounds:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RGcb7alSk0

I haven't taken any lessons, and obviously haven't taught any ... except in trying to help my son out with my little knowledge.  I will say however, I think group lessons sound like they'd be "fun to take" ... so I guess it'll be good if you can do something to keep it fun?  Varied ages would add to that "fun" factor, although it'd probably also make teaching more difficult.  Good luck... I look forward to hearing more about this journey!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks! That's a good easy one, only 2 beats to the measure and real simple chords smile Especially if I substitue a Cadd9 for C and Em7 for EM allowing the e and b strings to stay anchored for most of the song... That should allow for easier chords changes... Thanks again! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Good luck Pix...sounds like it'll be a very rewarding experience. Do you worry about the chaos of 12 beginners in one room?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

Good luck Pix...sounds like it'll be a very rewarding experience. Do you worry about the chaos of 12 beginners in one room?

Yea, I'm a little concerned about teaching 12 or more at one time.... Some already know a little and others are going to learn at different levels so it's going to be a challenge. The group class though is free to members (the church is paying me) and I'll be offering one on one lessons there on monday and tuesday nights for those that really take an intrest and want to advance ahead of the group.

Pix i think you've got it cut out for you. I wish you all the best with the lessons. As for the songs can they be newer contemporary styled or do they need to stay more on the hymnal side? I suggest looking at the religious songbooks on here. There are lots of good songs that are easy 3 chord songs. Good luck

After a few lessons you will notice some of the students are faster learners than the others.  Thjis may become an issue over time that you have to deal with.  You might be thinking early on about what you will do when the top performers start getting bored with the material.  Do you split them up into different groups?  Do you teach everyone at their level within the same group?  Some things to think about.  I wish you luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Guitarpix wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

Yea, I'm a little concerned about teaching 12 or more at one time.... Some already know a little and others are going to learn at different levels so it's going to be a challenge. The group class though is free to members (the church is paying me) and I'll be offering one on one lessons there on monday and tuesday nights for those that really take an intrest and want to advance ahead of the group.

Be sure to let us know....I'm assuming the first couple weeks will be rough on your ears but I'll guess the satisfaction you'll get when they can all play in unison will be hard to beat.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I took a group class last fall and it was a blast.  You'll be teaching how to hold the guitar, how to strike the strings, and other things.  I'll look for the book we used and send you the title.  It's a Mel Bay book, so easy and inexpensive and fairly well put together. 

As far as songs, it's hard to go wrong with country gospel, or 'stained glass bluegrass'.  "Oh death, where is thy sting?  What has happened to your reckoning?"  Great stuff, usually three chords and the truth type songs.  They do rely fairly heavily on minor intonations, but you can brighten them up with major chords.  Randy Travis has a couple of excellent albums with acoustic church music that you could arrange for beginner guitar.  "Glory Train" and "Worship & Faith" are two that come to mind, though there are likely some others. 

Hymns are tough as they were mostly composed for piano and so contain a WHOLE lot of flats and bizarro world chords. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Guitarpix,
As  christmas  is not to far away, this one is  so easy for beginners.

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … 62672.html

Good luck.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Pix you can find and listen to all types of Christian music midi files on this site. Scroll down past the medleys and pick the type song you want. The chords are not posted but I bet if you hear the song you can put chords to it. If you have a particular standard Hymn in mind let me know. I may already have them.
http://my.homewithgod.com/heavenlymidis/index.html

When this comes up you will be hearing music. Just click the little player at the top left to be able to concentrate.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hi pix , you sound like you have alot too deal with being in the position of only doing  church type songs,I would look at some elvis presley and some country artists music. I would also try too do alot of christmas tunes now as most are easy and they would be motivated be able to do them by christmas.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks everyone for the ideas and links! I especially like the idea of using some seasonal music to inspire practise before the holidays get here smile

You the man Pix! Congrats on the paying gig. smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Pix,
I practice my christmas songs year round but I find alot of them are difficult to play as most were composed for or on piano. I have a list I play that aren't real difficult to play tho. I will dig them up and post them. I was hoping to do a few christmas gigs again but looks like I have a big job out of town Thanksgiving till just before christmas.
I need the work but I sure will miss playing through the holidays.

Later, Wayne P

Pix, here's a couple I really like to play, both in minor keys. My mom says I am a downer smile

Wayfaring Stranger      Traditional Song    here's a vid I put together from Bighorn Mt Festival  Featuring Anne & Pete Sibley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_bAX2PAR-s

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … nger02.htm

I Still Pray by Kasey Chambers

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … 28859.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4QBTot7ObM

I play a intro solo and if you like this song I could tab the solo I do or make a video.

Later, Wayne P

Sorry.  I can't find that lesson book from last year.  Most of my books and such are packed away during our remodel.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Old Doll wrote:

Hi Guitarpix,
As  christmas  is not to far away, this one is  so easy for beginners.

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … 62672.html

Good luck.

Old Doll.

Also, for the group you'll want some to put capo on 2nd fret to illustrate how to transpose these same chords to G,C,D and keep in the same key.

Steve

Thank You,

I'd never think of these things.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

This is only my second comment here on the forum
You Guys are just brilliant, I write this with tears in my eyes.
You have all encouraged me so much and this is just the beginning Amen
Pix it is a wonderfus privlidge and oppertunity for yoy to teach a group of kids.
You may never know what becomes of your teaching. God rewards faithfulness.
Anne and Pete Sibley... Boy was I blessed by those videos and songs. I printed them out
The only sad part is i can't play the guitar like them. But what an anointing.
Silent night in the key of A.. That must be the world's favourite hymn.
You lot are just teriffic, and i have only just met a few.
One just accross the shuck in Bonny Scotland. And many of you all accross the pond.
Someday we will all met personally.   Love you all
Pastor Laurence.... Belfast

PastorLaurence... welcome to the forums!  I feel the same way you do ... this forum is awesome... and everyone here is great!  Glad you found it... music is a wonderful expression of love, faith, sorrow and happiness!  I saw your other post and was going to put something in there about this thread, but I see you've found it!  Fantastic!

Pix... when do your lessons start?  Can't wait to hear how it's going (once it is!)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

PastorLaurence... welcome to the forums!  I feel the same way you do ... this forum is awesome... and everyone here is great!  Glad you found it... music is a wonderful expression of love, faith, sorrow and happiness!  I saw your other post and was going to put something in there about this thread, but I see you've found it!  Fantastic!

Thank you mekidsmom. There are some things I need to find out how to do.
Like put a You Tube video link on the forum.. or add an attachment.
I must attempt to put my ugly mug on as well. Some of the names get me Old Doll... ZURF. Plus many more ?
I simply stumbled accross this site by accident..or .. was it ?
And you away from New York, Yet you get a message to me within seconds.
That truely amazes me. How long have you been playing the Guitar ?
I think I will always remember Pix he was the first one to congratulate me.
By the way is there a spell checker for the forum thread ? Not the best at spelling

Can you recommend any good teaching or strumming Videos. Chord changing is not a problem to me.
Strumming, fingerpicking, and bess string then chord is. What Bass string to hit first then the UM Pha-Pha
May Every Blessing Come Your Way.
Pastor Laurence

23 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-11-03 22:42:29)

Hi PastorLaurence,

There is a great site by a guy who gets lots of acclaim on here, he will start you from the beggining and take you as far as you need to go, he's been lots of help to many people. Your views and his might be different but thats ok, here's the link.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

It's free but you can donate to him only if you like his site, another great site is

http://www.jamplay.com/  it's endorsed by Chordie, it's a pay site, but I think they have a 7 day free trial

of course you can always hang around here at the same time and get all the help you need, so keep out it and we look forward to more of your post!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down