Topic: In for a Blow

Hurricane Ida is making a beeline for us. It will be here tonight. We have a busy day ahead stowing anything that the wind can pick up. Gotta get moving at first light to move boats and longline 'em so the tide won't break docklines or set 'em up on the dock.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Re: In for a Blow

Wishing you and yours well tuba!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

See if you can rig up some artificial lips and have the storm play your tuba for you! 

Kidding aside, I wish you the best of luck and hope you and yours come through safely.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

lets hope all goes well for all of you in that area.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hope you and your's come through it unscathed!

So who's hosting the hurricane party smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Good luck!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Best of luck toots. I hear the storm has been weakening, so hopefully that is a good sign.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Put a lid on yore tuba if"n you gonna be out wid it. Good luck with the storm. Looks like most of it is gonna miss us. I am presently working in  New Orleans and was not looking forward to being in this storm

Hope things go well Tuba, I was living in SC when Hogo hit, it changed the whole face of that state, I'd had never seen anything like it before, though I know it was nothing compared to what happened in New Orleans, but it was plenty bad enough, stay safe.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Zurf wrote:

See if you can rig up some artificial lips and have the storm play your tuba for you! 

- Zurf

I like your idea, Zurf. Don't know if I can make it work.
The wind blew so hard I saw a seagull lay the same egg three times.
Actually, Ida was a wimpy storm compared to most. The eye came over us about 1 P.M. and the wind stopped completely. Things got hot and sticky. I took off an undershirt, opened windows and turned on ceiling fans. 45 minutes later the wind started back, this time from the North and it got cool fast.
Everybody and everything's fine. Thank you for your kind posts.
toots

^ Glad to hear it TubaT. The remnants of Ida are heading our way - expecting 6" of rain tomorrow and Thursday, flash flood warnings in effect. A bit breezy, but nothing tropical. Pix should be seeing even more rain down his way.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I'm glad you're safe TT.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Glad to know it all turned out ok Tuba, and yes, We've gotten plenty of rain here in NC as well as wind, the season should be winding down now, at least I hope so.

Cam

I'm glad to hear everyone is well!  My hubster keeps talking about moving to NC one day... I know there's not too much warning for hurricanes there, but it's scary to think about it just the further south you go.  Our biggest worry in NY is a horrible snow/ice storm that will cut off power for a few days.  Keeping the note to self that Alabama is not the place to go!  ((HUGS)) to all of you and yours for safety and the end of that season!!

Glad to hear all OK with you. What's the range of a tuba in a hurricane?!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

normtheguitar wrote:

Glad to hear all OK with you. What's the range of a tuba in a hurricane?!

Thanks, normtheguitar.
In a hurricane, against the wind, -50 feet, with the wind, the thing could go for miles.
I have a heavy playing stand called a "Tubatamer" for windy gigs. My tuba has a forward facing bell that acts like a parachute when the wind gets honkin' and there is a point where even the tubatamer won't save it.

mekidsmom wrote:

Keeping the note to self that Alabama is not the place to go!

Dear Lady,
Be not misled. We only get clobbered by a bad hurricane about every 20 years.
They don't call Alabama the "Heart of Dixie" for nothing. The rest of the time, Bammy is known for
Cool jazz, hot rock, sugar white sandy beaches with well - filled bikinis, mild winters with no snow and laid - back people with mucho southern hospitality.
toots

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Dear Lady,
Be not misled. We only get clobbered by a bad hurricane about every 20 years.
They don't call Alabama the "Heart of Dixie" for nothing. The rest of the time, Bammy is known for
Cool jazz, hot rock, sugar white sandy beaches with well - filled bikinis, mild winters with no snow and laid - back people with mucho southern hospitality.
toots

I'm on my way...

There ain't nothin in this world like a good dose of Southern Hospitality. I'm proud of my Southern accent, and the people here in the South are as friendly as any. Nothin like sittin on the porch with a glass of sweet tea, homemade biscuits, grits, honeysuckle, watermelon, and the smell of fresh cut grass, home grown tomato's family and friends.

Cam

Ahhh... well then I will work on that bikini ready body... and make my way south soon I hope!  Maybe Alabama wouldn't be a bad idea!  I think central NC is similar in that every 20 years or so plan.  I imagine after THIS winter I'll be ready to give up the winter boots anyhow... it "feels" like we're in for a bad one this year!  It's already in the 20's and 30's at night with frost on the ground every morning, and chilly all day, has already snowed gently in a few areas.  The fire in the furnace add on (wood stove hooked up to the plenum of the oil burning furnace) has been going for several days to keep it comfortable in the house.  Ahhh... what I wouldn't give for a nice 70 degrees outside right now!

Besides... cool jazz, hot rock, mild winters... AND sweet tea, homemade biscuits, watermelon, and home grown tomato's all sound good to me.  I can pass on the grits ... but then I've only ever had them the few times I've been South of the Boarder.  Plus, I could get used to saying "Ya'll" and not having such high taxes and laws about EVERYTHING!  LOL!  Oh, and I LOVE country music!  ha ha!

21 (edited by tubatooter1940 2009-11-17 01:10:00)

Casey made a "Case-o" video for his blog on our beach at Gulf Shores, Alabama shortly after the eye of the wimpy storm passed over us.
Cameronkl7 in North Carolina and folks North to New England got it worse than we did.
He featured his dad (my son) Jamie (Jame-o) as a maniac windblown weather reporter to a good effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBr_4mbV … re=related

toots