Topic: Need help finding gigs

Please oh Please could someone help me with where to find paying gigs.
I live in North Wales and we don't seem to have places that have live music.
The only way I have not yet tried is trying to find a booking agent.
Could you please offer any advice.
TonyBlue

man is the dream of the doliphin

Re: Need help finding gigs

Hi Tony,
The challenge is to encourage a bar or pub to start live music. You need to show them you can take a slow night and perk it up.
Ask which evening is the slowest and if they would like to pull a bigger crowd on that night.
Offer to play for a sandwitch and a beer or two for at least two hours on their slowest night. Get on the phone and ask all your friends, in-laws, enemies,creditors etc.. to show up and hear you play and ask for requests and play them. (I used to claim that I knew every song in the world except for seven. If they request seven songs in a row I didn't know, I would pack up and go home.)Do that for enough evenings to see if you are making a difference. If you are making their register ring, they will throw some cash in to go with your beer and burger.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Thanks very much tubatooter (do you really play a tuba ?).
I will try this out.
TonyBlue

4 (edited by tubatooter1940 2009-11-25 04:06:54)

I play tuba, tony. It is my first instrument and the one I play best. I am about too old to rattle the rafters like I used to back when I had  lungs but with a Shure SM57 mike jacked into a 300 watt J.B.L. self powered speaker I can still "git 'er done".
I play tuba on most cuts at:

http://johnreno.com/music.html

"Seduced", "Just Once" and "WeDo" have nice tuba solos.
I lead off the vocals with John in "I lobster but Never Flounder".
I love to play guitar but every time I strum an "A" chord, 10 cars outside slam on their brakes at the same time. Wonder why that happens.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Hi tony you might want to record some of your songs too tape or something and go talk to some of the local club owners and see if they will give you a chance. for practice and some confidence go talk to people at old folks homes or vetrans hospitals,they will usually let you play, and it is good for them also.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Dino,
I do this as offern as I can, it is really good fun, sometimes I even get paid, not a lot but around £30 per gig which only lasts about 1 1/2 hours.
I also have a Boss Recorder, and I have put some stuff on my space, also I have contacted a agent who seems keen for me to play with the agency, he has asked me to put together some standards for him to hear, you never know it may work out.
Thank very much for your interest
TonyBlue