1 (edited by bigrinwv 2009-12-09 00:02:02)

Topic: Walk downs

Can't figure out how to walk down to open A from open E, like in Folsom Prison Blues. When I do it sounds like I Walk The Line. Maybe too many notes or the wrong ones, I don't know. Can somebody point me in the right direction.

Thanks, "R"

Re: Walk downs

"R" you dont walk down from E to A you walk up,you can walk down from A to E useing the notes A G# F# To E because A is the 4th tone or interval (step) in the E scale and E is the 5th tone or interval in the key of A smile

bigrinwv wrote:

Can't figure out how to walk down to open A from open E, like in Folsom Prison Blues. When I do it sounds like I Walk The Line. Maybe too many notes or the wrong ones, I don't know. Can somebody point me in the right direction.

Thanks, "R"

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks Russell

If I reverse that will it get the sound I want? The little thing when Luther Perkins changes from E to A in Folsom Prison Blues. I know they played it all sorts of different ways, slow, fast, different keys. But when I attempt it, I try the simple approach and do it in E but I just can't get the part between the chords. I draw it out way too long and it just doesn't sound right.

Yes play the notes E F# G# and then the A chord so in effect your playing the E chord 1 beat and the notes on 2 3 and 4 and the A chord on the 1st beat of the next measure if you dont read music it would be on the E string open for the 1st note  2nd fret for F# and 4th fret for the G# before strumming the A chord change this will keep your timeing right so you dont drag in out to long remember theres only 4 beats in a bar in 4/4 time and 2 in 2/4 time (cut time like in a polka song) give it a shot and good luck smile 

bigrinwv wrote:

Thanks Russell

If I reverse that will it get the sound I want? The little thing when Luther Perkins changes from E to A in Folsom Prison Blues. I know they played it all sorts of different ways, slow, fast, different keys. But when I attempt it, I try the simple approach and do it in E but I just can't get the part between the chords. I draw it out way too long and it just doesn't sound right.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Remember, YouTube is always a good place to look for tutorials.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdE0BaNr … feature=iv

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks guys. I use you tube a lot. Just can't find anything that's real clear on this one thing. I think I had the right notes all along just the timing wasn't right. Still isn't but I think if i use Russell's examlpe I can get it to work. I just play for my own entertainment anyway so it's just my satisfaction if I can get it "right".

Here's some bass run exercises in various keys you may find handy.

http://www.ezfolk.com/guitar/Tutorials/ … _runs.html

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!