Topic: DaddG?

I'm trying to learn M. Ward's "I'll be Yr Bird" and there is DaddG and a DaddF# in the song. I searched everywhere for how to play these chords and I can't find anything. Can anyone help me out?

Re: DaddG?

Hi MegB
Don't know the song but a DaddG is played usually a straight D chord with a added Gnote played on the the low E string 3rd fret.
The DaddF# is the same chord with added F# note played on the low E string 2nd fret. It's a small walk down. If played one after another.
Welcome to Chordie
ark

wow lot a theory questions lately welcome to Chordie Meg, a D add G is a open D chord with your little finger adding the G on the 1st string 3rd fret,to keep it easy to understand all major chords are 135 in the key of D the notes are D F# A adding the G on top gives it a "suspended feeling" the note F# is already in the D chord (1st string 2nd fret) but adding it on the bottom as Arkady suggested gives it a nice Tom petty sound hopefully this explanation is not to hard to understand for you but all theory questions usually are if you are unfamiliar with it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

The Open D with the little finger fretting the G on the first string is usually referred to as a Dsuss4... ie there is no third being played so it's neither major or minor...

My take on D add G is that you fret the G on the fat 6th string along with the normal D and allow the finger that's fretting the G to mute the A string so it doesn't sound although you can let it play without any dischord...

same with the DaddF#, you have to ensure you mute the A string but can get away with it

personally, I would have notated it as a D/G and the other one as a D/F#

but some people really freak out at the prospect of slash chords

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

yes it is a slash chord I misunderstood all add chords usually are extensions like 1 3 5 9 and the 9 is actually the 2nd only one octave higher as there are only 8 tones in a major scale smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thank you guys! This was alot of help