Topic: i need help

hi everyone im playing a year now and  can play the chords ok.im struggling with practising i play 5/6 nights a week but im jumping from acoustic to electric ,trying to learn songs and then trying to learn lead.ifeel im not getting any better.i cant go to lessons cos ive work commitments.but id love to have a good schudule to keep to.strumming patterns is another problem. can anyone help with a schudule?thanks

2 (edited by dfoskey 2010-01-11 23:50:14)

Re: i need help

Maybe you could record yourself playing the chords to the song then go back on the electric and fill in the leads.I'd spend one day learning the rhythm or chords to get it down then the next two to learn the lead and solos. As for the strum patterns just listen to the music and strum it in time with the drum beat or bass count. It really helps to have a metronome to help with timing for stumming. Good Luck and i hope this helps. Oh and welcome to the forum smile

If you are going to play lead, you gotta know scales.  If you know scales, you can play lead.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

thanks for the replys i am learning scales at the moment.but there is the problem im  jumping from lead to learning songs and i dont know if i should just stick to learning one or the other. if i could get advise on what to learn would be a great  so i could keep to a programme instead of wasting my time looking for stuff on the net and not getting enough practise in

Learn a song. Then practise it. Learn a scale, then practice it. When you know the song and the scale learn another one. But keep practicing the first song.  Keep the songs simple.

You can do a lot worse than work your way through The Oasis song book. Great sounding songs but quite easy to play. You'll find chord progressions will become familliar.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

Learn a single scale pattern.  If you know one scale pattern, you can play in any key.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I'd suggest a combination of the suggestions.  What I did when learning was picking a song to learn, practice playing it into a tape recorder, then learn a new scale for one of the chords in the song and play the scale along with the recording. You almost can't help doing "leads" along with the song. If you like blues, that is even a little easier, you learn a blues scale and it will work through the whole song. Just my 2 cents. Hope it's a little helpful.
Peace and music,  Rev.

"Neither the Beatles or Stevie Wonder had Pro-Tools......maybe you just suck."

Welcome to the forum eammat and Revswitchblade!

eammat, it sounds like you're maybe having a problem organizing yourself?  Perhaps you need to set yourself up with a little schedule.  Practice chord changes, strumming patterns, scales, etc...  figure out how much time you will have in one setting and divide it up.  Set yourself a timer... practice one thing, when the timer rings move on to the next thing.  You can practice your scales and lead on the acoustic... I'd say if you only have an hour at a time then maybe you should stick to the acoustic one night and set more time for chord changes and strumming patterns and scales that night.  Another night practice just on the electric and set a little less time for your strumming and more time for your scales and lead practice.  Get yourself a metronome (or use a free online one) and use the heck out of that thing!  Good luck!  Every time I start getting stuck on a song and that's ALL I'm doing when my guitar comes out, I step back a minute and go back to good ole fashioned "practice".  It makes a huge difference!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

what's going on eammat, River here and I've been playing guitar for about going on three or maybe three years now. Your story struck me very familiar because when I started out I too had an acoustic and an electric and I wanted to get my hands on everything and just learn my favorite tunes on both instruments. First song I learned on electric was the intro to sweet child o mine by GnR, but I never really learned the whole song because then I would switch over to my acoustic and and start to learn to play santeria by sublime. I think we start having so much fun in hearing little bits of our favorite songs on both instruments that we never really learn anything but the chorus lines or the fun parts of the songs. Well not to long ago I noticed that I just only played my acoustic and I started learning more about it. After three years I finally know one whole song by memory ( Through my sails by The Great Neil Young), I also started practicing with different tunings like drop d, double drop d, drop c, which alot of neil songs are in. I still pick up my electric and play the cool parts from pink floyd songs GnR, Pantera, but just the cool riffs, not really really trying to learn lead. One thing I did notice is that the electric is much easier to play if you also play acoustic guitar. I guess just choose one and really really try hard and practice at it, you can still learn both don't get me wrong I just mean take some real time on learning one at a time, so that what you learn can really sink in. Good Luck

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!