Topic: Simon and Patrick Guitars

Can anyone give me some onsight into the quanity of the Simon & Patrick guitars? I found a 12 string acoustic / electric in a pawn shop for $159.00, today. The guy running the pawn shop was kinda acting like a prick so I didn't get to spend very much time looking at it but it did appear in decent condition. Just wondering if I should go back and look a little bit closer.

Nela

Re: Simon and Patrick Guitars

I don't know anything about them, but you can read some reviews here.
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi … 26+Patrick

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I always try to find out what retail is for a new one.

http://www.google.com/products?q=Simon+ … mp;show=dd

I don't know if you can find your guitar in there, but it's a good place to start.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Nela,
I would see what the model # is  The Simon&Patrick are pretty good guitars for the money the showcase series are the upper end for their line. I would be careful buying a used 12 string look it over real good in the bridge area and look down the neck and where the neck joint is.
I was looking at a used 12 string at a local pawn shop and asked the gal if I could look at it. I noodled around on it for about 2 minutes and the pawn shop owner come over and took it out of my hands and said I had played it enough. I was gonna make an offer on it but instead instead of giving him a lesson in manners I haven't returned. That was about 2 yrs ago and I aint goin back anytime soon.

Later, Wayne P

Simon & Patrick guitars are great! They are made by Godin, the same company that builds Norman, Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Le Patrie, etc... Simon & Patrick are (generally) at the upper end of Godins guitar line.... They are Canadian built. They're slightly shorter scale so they tend to hold up better compared to other 12's due to less tension on the top. I currently have 3 Simon & Patricks and they are wonderful guitars and a fantastic bang for the buck brand.  The guitar is most probably a "Spruce 12" model and if so, is well worth the price quoted. As others have mentioned, be sure to give the guitar a thorough looking over. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

wlbaye wrote:

Nela,
I would see what the model # is  The Simon&Patrick are pretty good guitars for the money the showcase series are the upper end for their line. I would be careful buying a used 12 string look it over real good in the bridge area and look down the neck and where the neck joint is.
I was looking at a used 12 string at a local pawn shop and asked the gal if I could look at it. I noodled around on it for about 2 minutes and the pawn shop owner come over and took it out of my hands and said I had played it enough. I was gonna make an offer on it but instead instead of giving him a lesson in manners I haven't returned. That was about 2 yrs ago and I aint goin back anytime soon.

Boy, that'll give you confidence in the product.  I hope he was just having a real bad day and doesn't act like that on a regular basis.  The pawn shop I stop in on from time to time is as exactly opposite that as I can imagine.  They'll lend you a tuner to let you try alternate tunings if you like, and then try to show you some nice jewelry for your wife (because she's so pretty).  Honey, not vinegar. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have a S&P that I found in the trash. I checked on it through their web site and found out it sold for around $400 US. It is a great guitar and has a great sound and great action. I love it. Might be worth checking into

wlbaye, kinda got the same treatment from the guy in the store in that I wasn't allowed time to give the giutar a inspection. "Pix ithe model was a "Spruce 12" and other than needing a good cleaning up and a very short "look over" nothing jumped out as being wrong with the guitar. I just may go back and see if I can get my habds on it again.

Nela

9 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-01-19 02:52:57)

Sounds like a steal! Should look something like this (depending on year)
http://www.peachguitars.com/acatalog/sp12spruce.jpg
They retail around $700

Here's how you determine the year on Godin instruments

The Godin 8-digit serial number system (ALL Godin guitars) denotes the year, week, day of the week, and number of units made that week.  Their production year begins on August 1 and ends on the following July 31.

The first 2 digits: production year
3rd and 4th digits: production week
5th digit: production day (ex: 1 = Monday, 2 = Tuesday... etc...)
Last 3 digits: number of guitar built during that production week.

Thus, a guitar with a 05023217 serial number, was built the 2nd week of August 2004 (05 02), on a Wednesday (3), and was the 217th guitar built during that production week (217).

It has a Solid spruce top with wild cherry laminate back and sides... The laminate is of real good quality. It's not like most which consist of ply wood with a pretty veneer. Godin uses a 3 ply laminate of solid woods. They are layered thus. Wild Cherry, Mahogany, Wild cherry  The mid mahogany layer is there to counteract some of the brightness of the wild cherry. The overall combination is quite pleasing to the ear... Good find and good luck with it! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

'Pix. that's the guitar. I'm going back and see if I have time to check out the serial # next week. I did notice that the electronics on this guitar does not match the one's on newer guitars so this will be interesting. Not sure if I will buy it or not - kinda depend on the attitude of the guy runnin' the store. One thing I did notice while searching the net is that these guitars have a heavier truss rod system and do come with "TUSQ" nut, bridge and pins.

Nela

Sounds like a good buy to me! Thanks for the info on serial numbers, Pix, have just bought a Norman ST68, which I see was made in 1998. Really nice full, rich sound to it & a pleasure to play. My Norman B18 is from 2002 & the S&P SP6 is from 2004.
The B18 is up for sale now, (£140) due to large car repair bill, but for an "entry level" guitar is not too far behind the ST68 in sound etc, and the matt finish looks much nicer!
So, did you get it, Nela?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Hey NELA!

Sounds good to me too!  I think the QC at S&P must be really good.  Even the lower end ones are reliably nice to play.
You can see older versions of their web page at http://web.archive.org/web/199911150000 … atrick.ca/

Cheers!
JIM