Re: 62 year old trying to teach myself Guitar

Welcome to the forum Steve!  I will gladly forward along that email to you that I sent to Tony!  BTW... my husband and I went and saw an AWESOME local band recently and one of the lead guitarists (as well as vocalist) was playing all night long - left handed on right handed guitars!  It was pretty wild to watch him... not only was he fretting those chords upside down all night, but he was actually strumming upside down too (where I would downstrum, he was upstrumming) ... and he held his pick "funny" to make up for everything being "upside down" as well.  It was pretty awesome to watch!  GOOD LUCK!  I know there is at least ONE regular poster here on the forum that does this... so if you want help there, make up a thread and see what kind of response you get!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks for the reply mekidsmom,

I would appreciate it if you could send me a copy of the e-mail as well.
I have started playing the guitar right handed and it seems to be going okay, my chords progressions are getting better and i guess lots of people have problems strumming at first so i will stick at it.
Would have loved to see that guy playing i guess it was amazing.  My wife showed me a video on you tube of one guy without arms who played with his feet.  I have kinda set him as my idol, example so now i don't whine anymore about hard F chords and strumming problems lol.

once again thanks for the reply,

Steve

Sent it yesterday Steve via the email link in your profile here on the forum, did you get it?

Guys, I just put my first seven songs into a public songbook so it's here if that helps.  You can save the songbook (import songbook) so you have it when you're online rather than having to click the links from the email, plus there's a couple more than what I sent in email:  http://www.chordie.com/publicbooks.php? … gid=269030

That's not the lyrical version of Tom Dooley I used, also it didn't save my transpositions in the public song book.  Do "Tom Dooley" with D, A7 (-5 semitones) and "You are my sunshine" A7, D, D7, G (-2 semitones)

Hi mekidsmod, sorry I didn't reply sooner, just checked the forum again and noticed your reply, checked my e-mails and the boss (wife) has inadvertently deleted it! I hope, either that or she's had enough of my playing already and deleted it on purpose.

Have not read it as yet, will get straight on it after this, but once again many thanks.

ps don't let the wife know i dissed her on the www or ill be grounded lol.

Ok just read it before i hit the submit button and its great, shall start off straight away with Blowin in the wind.

many thanks

steve

I too have retired and I am the same age as you and I have started learning to play guitar about six months age. I found the use of a metronome to be helpful. Just turn it down to its lowest beat, 40 bpm and keep practicing the chord changes to the beat while incrementally increasing the bpm's as you becme more proficient on changing chords.
Best of luck to you.

Excellent advice fish24!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks Fish24.  I found an Internet metronome that I can practice with for now.  I'll go to a music store when I visit my children in Charlotte and purchase one.  Where I live now if I asked for a metronome they would think I"m talking about a prehistoric animal or something.  Fish24, what was the first song you learned?  I'm asking this question to every new player I come in contact with to see what worked best for them.
Thanks,
Tony

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

The first song that I learned on my guitar was "Skip to My Lou" using chords C and G7 and I never practice without using my metronome. I even use my metronome when I jog to help me keep my pacel

Thanks Fish24  I just left myself a message to buy a metronome.  I've been using the free ONLINE one.  I will check out Skip to my Lou as I know the C and G7 chord. 
Tony

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Good luck Tony and have fun!

You may also want to check out my song book on Chordie. They are a lot of real easy songs. I am still in your shoes after about a year but I sure do enjoy it. Maybe some day my wife will recognize what I am playing.

Hi Bobwill, and Welcome to Chordie!

Don't know what part of the world you are in, or what venue the Jam is being held in.  We have a few that regularly run around these parts, but then again this is a College town and folks come and go with the tides.  Usually there are a few core members and new players are welcome.... but they do expect a certain level of experience.  It is after all a jam session for the enjoyment of patrons and players, not a free guitar class.

I usually get to know the group and sit in as a spectator a couple of times to get a feel for the kind of music they prefer, and take notes of which tunes seem recurrent.  That way I will be prepared to participate and not detract from the group by being in the wrong key, or missing chord changes, or something of the sort.  You can learn a lot by playing with others, and make friends at the same time.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Toni, get yourself three chords together and strum each chord 4 times before changing to the next, then strum each chord three times before changing, again same chords strum each chord twice before changing, then finaly strum each chord once.
If you repeat this over and over you won't have a problem any longer. Then find a few different chords to mess around with in the same way.
Happy strumming John.