Topic: SG neck-heaviness solutions???

I own an epi G-400 and as everybody knows the SG's can be notoriously neck-heavy. Every time I let go of the neck, it slips down. Any SG owners out there have any solutions on how to fix or help this?

Re: SG neck-heaviness solutions???

I don't own a SG but i've had a neck heavy guitar before. Sometimes a wider strap helps then if that doesn't work you could use a counter balance on the other end to hold it up.

My brother has an SG bass. I thought that because it was a bass it was neck heavy. Regular SGs are neck heavy too? I remember seeing a strap that went over both shoulders, kind of a criss cross around the back thingy. Probably in the back of some guitar magazine. Maybe that would do the trick. Sorry, I dont remember who makes it.

I had a neck heavy guitar with a strap button on the body in the usual place where the body joins the neck. I used an acoustic guitar strap that attached to the button at the bottom and had strings that could be tied at the far end of the neck north of the nut.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I hope I describe this right...

Move the strap button on the bottom of the body from the end of the body to a spot on the back of the body. about 1/4 of the way in from the end.

Looks a bit odd, and you'll need to get it recessed for comforts sake.  This allows the end of the body to counter balance the neck better.  So instead of battling to have the neck held up, the body pulls itself down.  It's all about the center of gravity of the guitar. which is naturally about a point roughly 2/3s of the way from the end of the body.  Find where this is by placing the guitar on a table with a pencil, or something similar, lying down (!) underneath it and see where it just about balances.  The strap buttons should be equidistant from this point.

You may find this alters your hand position, but you will quickly adapt to it.