Topic: Time

Another time-based message.  I'm getting maudlin.  Tonight, it's my dog has me in that mind frame.  She was a puppy in August of 1995 when we moved into this house.  She was as fast as lightning and could fly.  Really.  From the hall she could jump, and in the air pass through the doorway and land on the bed ten or twelve feet away without even a thought.  From a stand still, she could barely move and make it onto the dining room table, which caused some consternation when we discovered she could do that.  Tonight, she can barely stand.  And when she does, she is quivering in pain.  Back in '95, she wouldn't leave my side.  Much to my wife's dismay, she's slept at my feet or curled up against my legs for most of those years.  The past few months, she's preferred her own company.  For fourteen years, whatever room I was in so was Ivy Dog.  Today, I roused her from a nap to take her out as it had been a long, long time.  She didn't recognize me.  She had no idea who I was, what the leash meant, or what the command "Walk" was.  It's her favorite word, next to "Dinner" and "treat" of course.  Tonight, there are several biscuits uneaten in her kennel and the dinner bowl remains full.  In order, she's lost her eyesight, her speed, her strength, her mind, and today finally her appetite.  Anyone who understands geriatric care knows what it means when the patient has lost her appetite.  I know what it means too. 

Hmmmmm. Not completely hopeless.  A little furry nose just poked itself into the room. 

Maybe there's a few days left. 

I don't think I'm going to complain about going out in the cold rain to walk her tonight.  It will be an honor and a pleasure. 

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.  Maybe. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Time

Zurf, I know exactly how you feel. I went thru the loss of my GF's dog last year, long story...but somehow I
      have a hard time understanding how we can have pets knowing all along that their lifespans are so short
      and we will be grieving their loss and for most to find another one to have to go thru it all over. At the same
      time I know it's not their fault.... just nature, and to have had them has been a great pleasure. I'm sure
      both of you have enjoyed each other.
We now have another(rescued) dog, and another new journey. Wish the best, Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Zurf, I feel for you.  We are on our way to that same place with "my husband's" dog, Dozer.  My husband and I have been together for 10 years and Dozer was with him before I was... Dozer was his child... as my son also came with the deal.  Dozer was three when we got together, my son was four at the time.  My son is now turning into a young man while Dozer is VERY quickly turning into an old man.  He was still bursting with energy up until last summer.  It all seemed to hit at once.  I notice how quickly he has gone downhill since it hit last summer.  While he has always been "my husband's dog" he most certainly has been a HUGE part of this family and been a fantastic friend, playmate to all of our children, guardian of our home and more.  I do not envy you and am sad to see each day that passes and we come closer to the point you are at now.

Enjoy those few walks that are left... curl up on the floor with her if she can't curl up at your feet with you... God Bless and I pray that she may go peacefully in her sleep... as I hope Dozer does as well.  Who else will love you unconditionally even if you yell at them, leave them alone for 8 hours each day and they will always be happy to see you when you return, ready to play anytime you feel so inclined, be content eating the same meal day in and day out, listen to all your secrets and never ever tell another soul, love you despite ALL your faults and never once complain about them ...

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Well, she made it through the night, which I was not sure that she would.  At some point during the night she ate her dinner, which has her pain medication in it.  She seems to be a little better this AM, crawling up to her standard perch on the back of the sofa to bark "Stay off the lawn!" at all the squirrels.  Though she isn't barking much today.  It's normally extremely annoying, but I wish I could hear it today.  It would mean she's her normal grouchy old lady self. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I feel your pain. We're in a similar situation with my lab. She is "my only daughter" and she's getting along. It seems to happen so fast. She used to full of energy but now just wants to lay in the sun. She chase a ball once maybe twice where she used to play for hours. I told my wife she is the last dog we'll ever own as she was by far the best I've had the pleasure to own. It's always amazing how emotional a pet can make you feel. For me it's dogs, and mine's living her last months I fear as well.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Zurf, thats a very touching story, we have a west highland terrier, a Westy, and as you said about yours she runs & jumps distances you would never imagine, follows me everywhere, sleeps at out feet, talks to us with her eyes & ears, its incredible the attachment we have. I hate to think in possibly in 10yrs time she may be the same with old age, shes only 3yrs old now. cant bear the thought of it. hope yours gets better. Tony

These are all sad stories.  I have lost a few pets in my time.  I hate to go through it, even though I know it will ahppen some.  I hope for the best for all those going through this.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

That's a tough thing to go thru no matter how many times you do it. We lost our Mastiff, wow 2 years ago now. He went really quick. Within two weeks he went from being fine to passing. He was only 8. Our thoughs are with you Zurf, and Ivy too.

Geo, if you are a dog lover you WILL get another one sooner or later. Ours was our first "baby". When he passed I told my wife the same thing as you. I won't get another so I don't have to go thru losing one again. But this past year I have been looking for a new puppy. So, never say never.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Zurf my friend ,
    Boy , you've touched on a spot ... We have two " kids " ... One is a spaniel cross named Charley and the other is a toy poodle named Edie ... We took Charley in as a puppy and aquired Edie when she was three ... They both turn fifteen this June and it's really hard seeing how the time has taken it's toll ... Edie has good and bad days , mostly good I have to say , but it seems like Charley's are mostly bad ... He is deaf , has cataracts , and a lot of joint problems , but seems happy most of the time ... We know that the time will come when that won't be the case and then it will be time for us to step up and do the right thing , but it won't be easy ... We have already picked out a spot in the back yard for them both and decided what we will have put on the marker stones , but boy there are sad days ahead ......................
                                                                                      Jerr

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Lordy Zurf this post made me cry.

I know the feeling so well. My Jack Russell [ who always thought she was a rothweiller} doesnt even hear the postman anymore.
there was a time she'd sit in the window waiting to tear lumps outta him and the post. She sleeps a lot, eats little.. and is getting greyer around the gills like meself.. She is near 15 now in years, My heart pounded in fear last week when i couldnt find her in the house. She usually lays in her bed beside the radiator. Obviously she slipped out while the door was open. I found her under a big ole bush just lying there ?
She was cross with me for lifting her to take inside.. Is she preparing me i wonder ?.. I always loved dogs. Love the way they come lolloping back to me, with there tails like windspinners, big black wet noses  licking to encourage a treat or a ball to  fetch.
Such joy they give me. Now its chasing rabbits time here, which is so funny to watch.
Oh Zurf, i wish i could change things for you. My son recently got a new Golden retriever Cody.. Lady tolerates him, Ben loves him, and i adore him. 6 months and huge,but a great joy to have around. He spends a lot of time with me here.
Zurf, maybe a trip to the pound before anything happens may lighten your heart somewhat ? I know we all say never again !!
Just maybe theres a wee puppy with "I need a Zurf daddy written all over him/her ?
What ever happens my thoughts are with you all.

heres a few wee photos of my dogs.
My brother-in-laws dog Heskey" also won a bravery award for disarming a thug who was robbing and threatening people on a bus.
He is a  working police canine. he is a Beautiful animal also.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lena.odonov … directlink

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

It's been a few days, but my grouchy old lady is on the back of the sofa barking at passersby, squirrels and phantasms.  She's blind from cataracts, so she's not above random barking just in case someone or something may be trying to walk near "her" lawn.  She can see well enough to know when another dog is passing by.  Or perhaps it's her powerful beagle's nose. 

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.  Though I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, it's an encouragement that we have so many in the same boat.  This is price we pay for the laughter and the cuddles.  Ivy dog has finally gotten over her pride at not being able to climb onto the bed any longer (despite the set of stairs I built her) and has started to permit us to lift her.  So, I once again have my foot warmers. 

As a puppy, we called her Schwarzenpuppy because of her extremely powerful physique.   It's amazing that though arthritis and age have stolen her power, and she has gained weight from general lethargy, that her muscles still ripple when she trots up the street.  She is roughly equivalent to a centenarian for humans, and yet her muscles ripple.  Would that I can be so strong. 

- Zurf

zguitar wrote:

That's a tough thing to go thru no matter how many times you do it. We lost our Mastiff, wow 2 years ago now. He went really quick. Within two weeks he went from being fine to passing. He was only 8. Our thoughs are with you Zurf, and Ivy too.

Geo, if you are a dog lover you WILL get another one sooner or later. Ours was our first "baby". When he passed I told my wife the same thing as you. I won't get another so I don't have to go thru losing one again. But this past year I have been looking for a new puppy. So, never say never.

You're probably right...this girl is just the best I've ever owned and I've had a bunch. I just can't imagine topping this girl...but you're probably right.....

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Zurf, my best wishes to you and your "grouchy old lady".

Peace

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg