Topic: Transposing chords

If I have a song that I like but I want to change the chords to go down a step, I transpose that as a -1.  But is that really possible to play?  Or is that for something that starts with the Capo on the 4th fret and you move it down?

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

"What I want is songs that echo. The stuff we're doing now is like somebody's bedsheets; spread 'em out, soil 'em, ship 'em out to laundry, you know? But our songs...I want us to be able to fold ourselves up in them forever...understand?  Words and music."

Re: Transposing chords

resprod you can transpose up or down if you know a little theory and this question is better asked in the music theory forum it involves intervals or steps and a chart of the cycle of 5ths would be helpful without basic understanding of theory a capo is a good idea but that only helps so far as I stated earlier this question is better answered in the theory forum here on Chordie smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Transposing chords

Thanks Russell  I will move it over to theory.

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

"What I want is songs that echo. The stuff we're doing now is like somebody's bedsheets; spread 'em out, soil 'em, ship 'em out to laundry, you know? But our songs...I want us to be able to fold ourselves up in them forever...understand?  Words and music."