Topic: Stupid songs, lyrics and memory

1) Stupid songs like LOVE IS IN THE AIR, I'M TOO SEXY FOR MY SHIRT (me too) how can these songs become big hits.
2) Lyrics: the greatest band ever = THE BEATLES, started also with silly lyrics like "She loves you yeah, yeah or Baby you can drive my car....beep, beep love". Or Manfred Mann with Do Wah Diddy..., a popular song in the US army.
This putted me thinking, if you have written over 200-500 songs, how can they in God's name remember all their songs, don't tell me THE SET LIST, but "à la carte." Try Elton John, or The Stones, Rod Stewart.
WHAT IS THEIR TRICK: practicing, and practicing? And now a dilemma, simple lyrics like lalalala, hey, hey hey and yeah, yeah I love would be simple on the other hand.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Stupid songs, lyrics and memory

And further back the lyrics were even stranger. I GOTTA GIRL NAMED LAM A LAM A LAM A LAM A DING DONG.  lol

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

deadstring wrote:

And further back the lyrics were even stranger. I GOTTA GIRL NAMED LAM A LAM A LAM A LAM A DING DONG.  lol

Gosh " near busted me gut  laughing at that one deadstring. Here the words ding dong is another name for a mans lower extremities lol..

Now i adored Johnny Cash. But this song  he sang !!! Ive been flushed from the bathroom of your heart"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZbtodl8w3M

Lord, ill be fabreezing me knickers after listening to this one again.

Old Doll

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Tell me about it,Doc. I spent 20 + years in barrooms playing:
"I Got the All Overs for You"
"Third Rate Romance - Low Rent Rendevous"
"Easy Lovin'"
How about, " Our Cow Wouldn't Give Us Any Milk So We Sold Him"
These songs are like some movies. Some are so bad they're almost good.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

That's my point.
I find it great all the people dancing on techno beat, but would you listen to it in the car?
I do know the songs you mention tuba are we speaking about melodies and/or lyrics.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Maybe its the fact that simple stupid lyrics are easy to remember. It occurs to me that people like songs that they know, so the radio plays the same songs, even new ones, over and over. If it gets stuck in their head. they'll probably like it. Because of this EVERYONE knows and loves the radio hit, but only more committed fans know the rest of the stuff on the album. So if you make a song that sticks in your head because its easy to memorize, repetitive, or just so stupid you can't forget it, then people will learn it sooner and like it sooner?
Just a thought.

Hey Toots - "If you can't play something good, play something we know!"    I think that's the mentality you were describing.   I actually heard that yelled out at a bar once.  Ends up it was yelled by a friend of the musician who was razzing his buddy and wasn't quite so horrible as it first sounded. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

It's called a "hook" and hooks you into the tune and makes you like it.

"I'm too sexy" is funny and has provided me with many a quip or pun as I have massacred the tune for my own amusement.  <grin>

And then there are the tunes that are so blatantly bad that make me want to perforate my eardrums; honey by bobby goldsboro, muskrat love by the captain and toenail, etc, etc, etc.  And then lets talk about "you light up my life" and anything by rod stewart.  <BARF> 

A hit tune these days needs a catchy something to hook in the masses.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg