Topic: nobs and switches

Hi all!
Chordie has been such a great help. I bought my first electric guitar, several weeks ago from the local pawn shop. Having been an acoustic freek, but worn out fron playing barre cords on it.
It's an Ibaniez GiO. It plays slick. I have several questions: 1) the top knob is for vol. and I think the lower is treble? 2) what differance does the 3-way switch make? 3) there ssems to be a 60 cycle hum, is this just a cold soder joint or do I need a new pod?

Lastly the 60W amp has me stumpes: there is a vol knob, a gain knob and bass, mid and treble knobs what in the world do I do w/ these thingies???
God Bless

Re: nobs and switches

1. Yes, the top knob is volume and the other is tone. 2. the three way switch changes the pickups. With a 3 way I'm guessing you have two pickups. One position will be for the forwardmost pickup. The middle will combine the two, and the third will be the pickup to the rear of the guitar. The pickup to the rear will hum the loudest. People usually use that one for the heavily distorted songs. 3. Electric guitars hum. In varying degrees. If its too loud there could be a problem but I'll bet your standing directly in front of your amp, facing it, with the distortion on. Stand to the side of it with the amp set behind you and it will be a lot less. Your guitar is picking up a little hum from your amp, sending that little hum back to the amp boosting it through the speaker. If it gets to much you will get feedback.  3. For your amp, volume is volume. Gain is the amount of distortion, set it on 1 to get a clean sounding guitar. set it on 10 to get metal mayhem. When you change the gain you may have to adjust the volume. The bass mid and treble are your equalizer. Set them all at 5 and give your guitar a strum. If it sounds bassy or muddy you will want to add treble. If it sounds to bright or high pitched you will want to add some bass. There are NO settings. Its all done by ear. What may sound good to some people may not work for you. You may get your amp set up perfectly, go eat a sandwich and come back and it will be all wrong. Its all by personal preference. Hope that helps, Good luck.

Hello all,
            Craig 23, thanks a lot for your comments. I am in the same boat as Butch in as much as I have been playing accoustics for a long time but only recently (about a year) started on electric guitar. I found your information to the point and very helpfull. Thanks again.
Cheers
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Thanks a bunch craig23

It's a damp cold night
Trying to figure out this life

Butch... some of the big brand amp websites (like Line 6) have suggestions on how to set those knobs and switches to make your guitar/amp set up sound "just like" your favorite songs.  I was really flabbergasted by all the knobs and such when my hubby and son got their electrics.  No matter what I do when I pick theirs up, I inevitably mess with the settings until it ends up sounding much like an acousitc... so I know I don't need an electric.  LOL!  Have fun!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks mekismon; I've found out that's what I do, or I distort it out so bad it all sounds the same!!! LOL

Oh yeah... my hubby's amp has an "insane" setting.  Literally, that is what the setting is called.  It doesn't matter WHAT you play, it all sounds the same.  Very "death metal" sound.  When I'm feeling a little silly, I'll play something beautiful on that setting just for the hay of it.  It gives me a good laugh!  Have fun!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.