Topic: Is there a trick ?

to learn how to sing while playing?

Re: Is there a trick ?

Hi Tommy and welcome to Chordie!!!!

It is different for everyone. Just like learning to play is diff. There is no trick per say. You just have to start slow and practice alot.

Check out this thread. Full of good advice.

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14478

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Some songs are harder to play and sing than others. Keep to simple rhythms and strum patterns to start with and it should all click into place with practice. There's never any easy answer, it's all about practice. Welcome to the journey.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Watch the stage when your favorite band is playing.  Odds are that if the lead singer is playing a guitar, he or she is playing solos, riffs, and leads only when not singing.  Most of the time, if the lead singer is playing guitar, he or she is doing a pretty straight forward, repetitive strumming or picking pattern while singing. 

I don't say this to discourage you from trying to play and sing simultaneously, but more as encouragement that even the elite musicians don't try and do it all.  They let other guitarists play the fill in riffs and the screaming leads (most of the time).  Take a lesson from that.  Keep your playing simple while trying to sing.  It's what the pros do.

Also, both singing and playing while keeping time and thinking ahead to what is the next line and chord change and are you getting to the bridge yet and so forth requires deep, intense concentration.  Skills aside, just learning that intensity of concentration requires practice.  Then you add in the effort to learn the musicianship skills, and you're understanding why many people who go on stage practice for hours a day, and that doesn't include the hour or more they spend doing warm-up exercises. 

The answer isn't just practice.  It's practice a lot while keeping your expectations humble.  Record yourself so that a month from now and two months from now and six months from now you can play the recordings and hear the improvement.  You won't feel it or hear it day to day necessarily.  Parents don't see how much the kids have grown (or are not as surprised by it) as the uncle who only sees them every six months.  Same with practice.

Hope that helps.  It's meant to encourage you to practice and to be patient with yourself. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Good advice here all the way around!  Welcome to the forums Tommy!  I guess the only trick is to keep practicing... know the singing part super well, know the guitar part super well ... be able to do each part alone before trying to put them together.  Some good advice on the thread zguitar linked to as well!  GOOD LUCK!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

One other thing.  You can probably tap your foot to the beat of the music while singing.  Now instead of tapping, imagine your foot tapping is the strumming and just take off singing the melody.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan are two guys that you'd think didn't even have time to sing AND play the guitar at the same time.  I can (after much practice) do some of the things these two greats did.  What I cannot do is play and sing Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant".  I can play it. I just haven't figured out how he sang it and played it at the same time and I've seen him do it live.  Absolutely amazing to me!  Anyway, long story short, everyone learns differently.  Keep at it and you'll find your niche.  That's the key.  Keep searching.

Now available in 5G !

thanks guys...I just picked up a guitar for the first time (39 years old). I found a "bucket list" I made when I was 25 and playing the guitar was on it. after I was diagnosed with prostate cancer(I am fine now) I bought a sierra acoustic/electric and I am now teaching myself to play. I learned America's "a horse with no name" since it was the consensus that that was the easiest song to learn( pretty easy) and I can play and sing it at the same time. Trying to get "every rose has its thorn" down now I can play most of it but when I try to sing it while playing I screw up. But I am getting better so It really just takes alot of practice. The internet is great for learning strumming patterns , and I have to work on the dexterity of my fingers as the "F" chord is giving me fits....LOL

Easiest song and sounds nice too is Jambalaya in my opinion.  I'm teaching that one to my daughter.  Horse with No Name is a good next song as there's four chords but they are all so similar that she should learn it easily enough.  To be nine and have a mind like a sponge! 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I guess I'm just backwards because I find it much easier to play most songs if I sing along. I love to sing so I learn words before chords most of the time. There are a lot of really easy bluegrass songs out there if your into bluegrass. Keep practicing:]