Topic: Printing problems

is anyone else having problems printing songs from their songbook (using the print songbook option) with ie7 first I had problems with everything printing Tiny which was replicated in firefox as well, then I found it was certain songs that needed line breaks, now I find that many songs don't print properly, the main issue being that when printing the chords overlap each other, Brown eyed girl by Van Morrison does this for instance, as do many other tracks.

This is unfortunate as it makes it really hard to use the print feature!

thanks!

-Raman

Re: Printing problems

I am working on the line break problem. I hope to have that fixed soon.

As to other printing problems. Here is what I need.

* Url to the song. Artistname+songtitle is not enough because a lot of songs has multiple versions in Chordie. Preferable a song that you have access to if you are not logged in (ie not a song in your songbook).

* Name of the browser you are using

* Description of the problem. Ideally this is very concrete, like "on the first verse, C7 and G7 is overlapping".

Since font-size can be adjusted by the browser settings, these might be local problem. Please send a screenshot of the small fonts to <a href="mailto:admin&#64;chordie.com" target="_blank">admin&#64;chordie.com</a>, and I can tell you if this is a local problem or a site problem.

The line break problem should be fixed now. If it still appears, try pressing shift-ctrl-R. If you still can see it when printing, please tell me.

Okay here's more info, one of the tracks that does it is Tangled Up in Blue... I see it in IE 7 The first line "Early one morning teh sun was shinin', I was layin' in bed" all the chords are on top of each other at the front of the line (image attached) url for the track is <a href="http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.russell-lawson.com%2Fmusic%2Fchordpro%2FBobDylan_TangledUpInBlue.cpm&songbook=source&transpose=0" target="_blank"> http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url= … 2Fwww.russ ell-lawson.com%2Fmusic%2Fchordpro%2FBobDylan_TangledUpInBlue .cpm&songbook=source&transpose=0</a>

note this only happens when it prints as part of my songbook, if I print the page individually it works as expected.

I also tried firefox this morning and had similar issues.

textsize is default (medium) and zoom in 100%

-R

Hi guys, I'm new at this, so it might sound stupid. When I want to print a song, it only prints the name on top & the url at the bottom of the page. Nothing inbetween. I've looked at the page setup but see nothing wrong. Plz help

Hi there.... I am new to this site to. When I want to print a tab, I copy and paste the text I want to my word program. That way I can eliminate any thing I dont need and remove alot of the spaces that take up alot of room. I then print it from word.

BTW... I have never seen a "printer friendly" button on any of the pages... Is there one???

Hello to albertdeb and jimdandypicker,

Welcome to Chordie. I will try to answer both of your queries together.

Firstly when you want to print out a song there is an 'print page' icon on the right of the page between 'full screen' and 'mail friend' they are fairly faint and can be missed. By using this the song will be printed in the 'chopro' format with the chords in blue above the lyrics.

To have a clean copy without any of the chaff that often comes with songs add it to your own songbook. You can then edit it make any changes and eliminate anything you do not want and and save it for future reference. When you have 4 songs in your songbook you can make it public and others can see your work.

I hope that this helps,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

The site uses stylesheets for printing. This eliminates the need for a special printer friendly page.

Just print it using file-print in your browser, and you will get the print-friendly version automatically.

I got lots of questions about this from people who never had tried to print a song complaining about the lack of printer friendly versions. So I added a print icon. But really, this is just a javascript shortcut to the "file-print"-function...

Okay I hadn't noticed the print button, but when I use that as opposed to just file print I do actually see the same issue in IE7 with all the chords being stuffed against the front page. This happens no matter which device I print to.

In printing from FireFox I see a host of other issues, mostly related to various tracks that seem to either gain extra spaces in tablature like this:

e--1----------------------

B--2----------------------

G-------------------------

D-------------------------

<etc>

or lose spacing altogether

like this:

e--1----------------------B--2----------------------G------- ------------------D-------------------------

the net result is I seem to have to edit every song to try and get it to print correctly and sometimes that doesn't even work.

Just to make this easier I published the song book I'm having problems with, hopefully you can just use that and try it out, here it is: <a href="http://www.chordie.com/publicbooks.php?show=details&songid=32439" target="_blank"> http://www.chordie.com/publicbooks.php? … s&song id=32439</a>

-R

39 songs there. Could you give me 1-2-3 concrete example of errors, and what browsers you are seeing them in. Ill start with that.

We're still talking about Internet Explorer 7, what I would do if I were you is print the whole book to the print preview on IE and you should see the first five songs that print are screwed up they are (Brown Eyed Girl, Heaven, Unchained Melody, Weight, and Brian.Wilson) in that order.

The odd thing is if I try and print the song singally it prints fine on the first page, and then the second page is screwed up (in this case I tried it with "Brian.Wilson")

Is that enough information?

-Raman

So was this enough info? have you got the repro scenario now?

thank you,

-Raman

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Try to load this song directly:

<a href="http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/teman.com/guitarz/TABs/b/brianwilson.txt" target="_blank"> http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/teman … z/TABs/b/b rianwilson.txt</a>

Do you have any printing problems here?

Yes I still see the printing problem on the second page, I'm attaching a screen jpg for you to see the problem for yourself.

Are you not able to reproduce the bug yourself? This would surprise me since I can repro it on four or five separate machines at this point in time, and most of them are using different printers, but if you can't that may be a valuable piece of data.

-R

Yes I still see the printing problem on the second page, I'm attaching a screen jpg

I am using IE6, Firefox 1.4 and 2.0 and the latest Opera on my development computer. Unfortunately it is hard to run IE6 and IE7 on the same computer, and I usually find it easier to develop for IE6 (most users, and not very many regression bugs).

I do not see any problems in IE6. I do have IE7 at work. I will take a look at it there.

So when using firefox 2.0.0.2 and printing my songbook I get as far as Brian Wilson and see this (attached file).

You also might want to take a look at this link re: using ie 6 and ie7 on the same machine: <a href="http://www.tech-recipes.com/internet_explorer_ie7_tips1188.html" target="_blank"> http://www.tech-recipes.com/internet_ex … tips1188.h tml</a>

I am sorry that some of my comments might seem a bit "lazy". I really do care about these problems, and as very determined to fix all layout-related problems. I do also really appreciate that people are spending their time filing bug reports - it really helps the site moving forward.

Unfortunately I am very busy right now.. Please be patient with me.

I have done a change that should fix the problem with the Brian Wilson-song. As it seem to be related with converting the file from crd/txt to chopro, the problem might still be there if you load it from your songbook (the chopro-convertion is cached). You will then have to delete the song, and add it again.

I have not tested in multiple browsers, and have not tested on the songbooks yet.

Ramans: Could you test a bit, and give me feedback about what works, and what errors you still are seeing?

No worries, I don't see it as Lazy you've got a great site going here, I'm just hoping to help make it even better! I've tried a ton of work arounds to printing this stuff, including loading the page into Word (same problem as IE, probably same rendering code), saving the html for the print page and had editing it (didn't work so well) etc....I really posted here as sort of a last result, and to see if others were having a problem. I for one would like to say thank you for the site and all the work on it!

Would that chord pro problem have effected all the rest of the songs that were giving issues in my song book (since I think I said like the first five at least did it) and can I trip the reconvert by going into Edit mode and clicking the "Revert to orginal button" I ask since that might be easier than trying to re-add my songs.

Also did that same chord pro problem exhibit itself as the firefox bug?

Going directly to the Brian.Wilson song under Barenaked Ladies in the directory and printing it exhibits exactly the same issue as before in IE7. I'll try firefox later when I have more time

thank you!

-Raman

FYI I just tried opera 9.1 (latest download on their site) and when I go to print preview on this book, none of the blue chord symbols appear in the print preview AT ALL!

Can you recommend a browser which you would expect to print, I would guess maybe ie6 but I thought I had tried that in the past with simlar results (I'm pretty sure I posted about it then)

thanks!

-Raman

I was referring to this song:

<a href="http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/teman.com/guitarz/TABs/b/brianwilson.txt" target="_blank"> http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/teman … z/TABs/b/b rianwilson.txt</a>

It had printing errors on the second page in IE. These problems should be solved now. Please confirm.

In general the best pages for debugging is songs directly from the index. If you see the text "?url" in the link, it is an indirect link. It is a link from your songbook. If you have made changes there, I might not see them when I follow the link logged in as another user. This means I am not sure I am seeing the same layout problems as you are referring to.

Songbooks are very hard to debug, since they are very complex. What I have to do is then to copy the songbook, and see what songs I can delete keeping the bug. In general it usually takes 10x the time to fix the bug.

Nope that URL you just gave me. And the one if I go to Barenaked Ladies in the directory and then select the song called "Brian.Wilson" it fails in the way I posted last night. That's what I was saying. It also fails in Opera in a totally different way which is that the chords fail to print

In Firefox Brian.Wilson works but other songs in my song book print with the chords over the top of the text, which at least is useable

In my song book try copying it and deleting all but the first 10 songs, I bet the bug stays. I didn't realise it took longer to debug, since it happens with almost everything I print I figured it was pretty generic.

-R

I find it very strange that the IE7 error on the Brian Wilson song is still there. I have tested it in IE myself, and the problem should really have disappeared. Could you give me a new screenshot? There are some minor details there that could give me a hint to whether you are getting a page from the cache. Try to get both the end of page one and the start of page two on the shot.

Lets leave the Opera problems for now. Ill look at them later.

To be sure to get a new version of the song, please just click it in your songbook. Click "remove from songbook" and then "add to songbook" without leaving the page.

I guess Firefox is most reliable. It is my development browser, and definately tested most.

Okay. I'm not sure if I've said this clearly so let me try another way.

The song Brian.Wilson prints with an error if I select it directly from the catalog, I have not gone back to my songbook yet. The way I'm getting there is by going clicking on the "B" at the top, navigating to Barenaked Ladies then picking the one song called "Brian.Wilson" there's only one that is "Brian.Wilson" with a dot as opposed to with a space.

the URL is this: <a href="http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/teman.com/guitarz/TABs/b/brianwilson.txt" target="_blank"> http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/teman … z/TABs/b/b rianwilson.txt</a>

this song errors in IE7 at the moment. I'm attaching a printed output from IE To the MS Office Document Printer driver which you should be able to load if you have office installed, if not I believe there's a viewer available. This way you can scroll around and see anything you might need without me having to guess on the screenshot. Hope that helps!

Also so was that you tried for Brian.Wilson a single song fix, or was it applied to other songs automatically (I don't know how the back end import system works) as I said almost all the tracks in my book were failing in the same way.

thanks!

-R