Topic: guitars on the beach

hello, this is my first post so it wont be the best smile   yesterday mekidsmom and I (her son) went to the beach with my sisters. my mom and i brought our guitars and had fun jammin together. With my acoustic and my moms classical, we sounded great! Oh and how could i forget my moms singing? the few people watching us were actually watching my sister do acrobatics! ha ha. have a great day!           -MKM's SON

"A bad note is only a fret or two away from a good note."  Anonymous

Re: guitars on the beach

Welcome Son!!!!!

I have seen a couple of your mom's vids and she sings very well. So if they were watching your sister then she must be an amazing gymnast.

Watch out for the sand in those guitars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should set a can down and see if you get any tips.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks just don't get her singing her opera! lol Well I want to either get a nice guitar thats not for little kids like mine. ha ah its old. about 3/4 size is what i have now. One thats classical or just some nylon strings for it because I love the softer sound. Like my moms smile

Welcome mini me.  Glad to see you had fun playing at the beach.  Sounds like something I would really like.  Did you play any Beach Boys tunes?  Surf city, here I come.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

A big wet sloppy Mom kiss on your cheek to welcome you to the Chordie Forum my son!  tongue

I don't know if we sounded "great" but we sure did have a fun time!  Once the weather warms up we'll have to keep the guitars on the porch and avoid the beach as there will be far too many yahoos around kicking up sand.  It is still too cool outside to go into the lake so there weren't very many people around, but the girls had been begging to play in the sand.  The people near us were listening at first, and then sure enough Stephie stole the show with her backbends, perfect splits and round offs.  She is an amazing acrobat for only 5 years old! 

Save your money for a new acoustic, and in the mean time I think we can swing some new strings smile  Ahhh... now it's time to cook some dinner and someone just reminded me, I think I'll also belt out a few Italian Arias! lol

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Sounds like some quality time! Good for you.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Thats awesome. I cant wait till my kids are old enough to jamm with.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Welcome to Chordie mekidsmom kid! I first started playing the guitar with my Mom as a kid - she bought me lessons and tried to learn along with the help of some Mel Bay books. She was amazed how quickly I was able to grasp things while she was struggling through. The advantage of youth! Young brains are wired for learning new things and soak up info like a sponge.

My playing in those days didn't last too long - a year or 2 and I moved on to something else. Now, 30 years later I regret ever giving it up. Stick with it! You guitar and music will give you a lifetime of pleasure (and you'll have to beat the chicks off with a stick) big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Great story mekidsmom_son.
You guys sound like a real tight knit family. Like Topdown says never loose the passion for playing guitar. It can take you places you've never dreamed, not to mention the chicks that'll be chasin ya....when you get older of course. big_smile

Welcome to Chordie big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Good times! 

Welcome to Chordie MKM-son.  I'm feeling like I ought to be in a bad kung-fu movie where they had that really bad dialog, "Welcome to Chordie Mekidsmom-san..." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Welcome MKM_Son,

Next time it wouldn't hurt to take a jar along with a  "College Fund" label or something to that effect for some tips smile

Hey Zurf would that be like Walk sun, walks off smile

Later, Wayne P

You guys have a family band like we do.
Hope the fun always increases exponentially.
A tip jar is a good idea. Keep your message simple though. I changed the sign on my tip jar from "tips" to "Dennis' yachting fund" and my tips went to zero. When I put the "tips" sign back on my income came back to normal. I guess fans don't care if I get to go yachting.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Perhaps three jars... "College Fund" ... "New Guitar Fund"... "Dance Class Fund" ... then you'll also have some answers to "life's big questions" wink

Welcome to the forum MKM-son.  I've heard your mom sing on YouTube and I think if you play your cards right you could be her lead guitar when she wins "America's Got Talent."  It's great to see that you are all so close.  A family that plays together, stays together.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Last summer, I had a night to myself (my wife was away) and I wanted to do something atypical, so I packed a sandwich and took my junker uke and a sand chair to the local beach just around dusk. 

I'm good enough at the instrument now that I can noodle around with some "pretty" chord changes and produce a pleasant effect.  The beach was fairly empty, but there were a few people scattered about.  I made sure I was far enough away from them all so I wouldn't intrude on their peaceful sunset.  Then, I began to play, softly.

My fantasy, as I drove to the beach, was to attract a little crowd, light a campfire, and have a singalong until the Public Safety people chased us away.  Instead, people just sat and stared at the water - never even acknowledging that there was live music playing.  Eventually, I sensed that it was time to pack it in and let them all have their peace.

To my surprise, the minute I stopped playing and there was a period of silence, heads started popping up from blankets and voices came out of the dunes saying "Don't stop!" "Ahhh, that was so soothing I was just falling asleep" and "Thank you, that was beautiful!"  Suddenly, I didn't feel like the annoying jerk on the beach with his instrument anymore.  I decided to stay and play for the seagulls and the waning tide until about an hour after sunset.  As people left the beach, they all thanked me for a calming end to their day.  One Asian man, obviously new to America, saw my empty iced tea cup and put a dollar in it!  I gave it back and told him I stopped getting paid to play music many years ago.  He smiled and translated for his wife and children and they all laughed.

That night, by the beach with my $40 ukulele, I  remembered why I started playing music in the first place.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Thank you everyone for your amazing tips and ideas! I liked your story Tom. smile  And mom, new guitar fund sounds good but like toots said yachting so ill have to think about it smile THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

Cool, Papa Tom,
I played for my wife and another couple at dusk one fine night on a sailboat we had chartered.
We were anchored off a beach with two other boats anchored fairly close to us off our stern.
We were too far out to pick up any radio stations and I noticed people on the other boats behind us had moved up and taken seats on the bow of their boats so they could hear better. They clapped and called out to us when we finished.
The other couple made a video of some of the music. We had a rubber dinghy tied off behind us.
Seagulls by the dozens were lined up on the sides of out dinghy to hear the music as well. I knew dauphins to hang around during a concert but this was the first time I found seagulls to be music lovers.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Mike that's a very cool story!  I tried not to be too loud as I didn't want us to be the "jerks at the beach" too!  We just brought the guitars with to do something while the girls played... I never thought myself to put out a tip jar.  Toots, your story is pretty neat also.  I personally don't like gulls too much, they will steal things off your beach blanket when you go into the water around here!  We worry about them stealing things more than we worry about people stealing things! smile

>>Cool, Papa Tom<<<

Sorry my stories tend to be a little long-winded.  I never realize how long they are until I see them in print!

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Cool story Toots.

PapaTom - Don't even think about it.  It was a good story and well told.  I can't speak for the others, but I appreciate a well told story even if it looks long printed out on a forum page.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

>>>PapaTom - Don't even think about it. <<<

Thanks.  But anyway, this post was about mekidsmom_son.  Thanks for inspiring this thread, "son!"

In a documentary about the making of The Seeger Sessions, Bruce Springsteen (whom you may be too young to know) talks about how "folk" music was made to be played on acoustic instruments that people could carry anyplace they went and how this could lead to a magical, impromptu jam session at any time.  It sounds like you and your Mom created that same kind of magic on the beach, regardless of who seemed to be listening.  Oddly, people are much less uptight about watching a dancer or an acrobat than they are about watching someone sing or play an instrument.  You probably touched more people that day than you know.

I bought him some new nylon strings to try out.  Of course I screwed up.  I assumed his guitar had pegs and just bought the straight strings, but apparently I should have bought the ball end strings.  Think it'll work alright if we just knot the ends or should we head back to the store and pick up ball ends?  I'm anxious to hear how these sound as I haven't tried the brand before.  They're gold wound with gold trebles. 

I've done this before with my daughter's guitar... but then... she doesn't play anything that remotely sounds like music anyhow.

Toots... the 5 year old is always trying to plan out songs for our "band" to preform.

>>>Think it'll work alright if we just knot the ends or should we head back to the store and pick up ball ends?<<<

Funny thing is, for the few years I've been playing the uke (my first stringed instrument, having been a drummer all my life) I've been stringing it with knots.  Recently, I was told this is incorrect.  It works for me, though!

On my daughter's guitar, I just tied the string to a small bead.   If you've got any beads laying around, give it a try.  Otherwise, if the guitar store is close you may want to exchange and save yourself the hassle.  It's all a matter of what's easier and more convenient for you.

- Zurf

Or you could watch this video and learn how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-ExQu4 … re=related

It is a fiddly job but well worth the effort learning how to put them on.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"